Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Jehovah's Witness question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    What is the name of that religion? I was trying to remember but I can't remember exactly what that is.

My uncle works with a guy that's a part of that religion. He got kicked in the nads by a horse when he was a kid and it jacked him up for life. I don't think I could allow someone I care about to be in pain and not take them to the doctor. I know I couldn't. That's awful.
    This woman was either JW or Morman, I always mix the two up somehow in my head but I'm pretty sure it was JW. She was in the hospital, had a baby, and was hemorrhaging afterwards. Apparently they can accept certain medical treatment but they have some strict rules for things that can't be done, receiving blood or blood products like plasma is one of them.

Comment

The difference in Christian and JW belief at this point in the conversation is that the JW do not believe in the Trinity. The same difference with LDS, the JW believe that Jesus was the literal son of God, created by God and not God in flesh. It is a common belief that you find in most religions that are similar to Christianity where they use the Bible but miss the understanding or belief of the Trinity and that Jesus is God in flesh. Jesus was not sent to Earth by a sexual act, that is the dividing line in their belief of WHO Jesus is.

Comment

Originally posted by tradman View Post
        I never got into discussions with JW's as much as I did the LDS, but from what I gather in the little studying I have done into their beliefs, they believe that when a person dies their body and souls die. So when you die, you cease to exist body and spirit. They then believe that after the world is destroyed 144,000 of the most faithful followers will be resurrected in new bodies.

Like most religions similar to Christianity, the JW beliefs were started by a person who had a misunderstanding of scripture.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I never understood why they keep trying to recruit people when the believe on 144000 will be resurrected. I grew up with several people who at JW .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          I never understood why they keep trying to recruit people when the believe on 144000 will be resurrected. I grew up with several people who at JW .

Maybe they believe in a salvation based on works?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            works and merit essentially. They are securing their place in heaven.

And I mean no disrespect at all towards the JW or LDS. Some of the nicest most genuine people I have ever met.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
              There no such thing as a "good honest person". The Bible says so. If it were possible to be "good" there would be no need for a Savior. That's what Jesus did for us and his sacrifice covers ALL sins if the sinner accepts the gift. GOD can not look at sin. Every person sins every day. It's not our place to decide which sins are ok and which are not. Sin is sin in the eyes of GOD. Thank you Jesus for the sacrifice that allows me to stand before GOD as if I never sinned.
              How does every person sin everyday?
              Didn't Jesus tell the lady to "go and sin no more"?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                How does every person sin everyday?
                Didn't Jesus tell the lady to "go and sin no more"?

Jesus was talking to her about a specific sin that she was about to be stoned for. You can’t not sin. We have a sin nature which is why we need Jesus. As believers we can try our best, and should, but it’s simply not possible to live sin-free lives.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  This woman was either JW or Morman, I always mix the two up somehow in my head but I'm pretty sure it was JW. She was in the hospital, had a baby, and was hemorrhaging afterwards. Apparently they can accept certain medical treatment but they have some strict rules for things that can't be done, receiving blood or blood products like plasma is one of them.
                  Oh ok. I was thinking of something different. I was thinking First Born or somethin but that could be a different thing altogether. There's so many it's hard to keep up with who's who and who believes in what.

Comment

Jesus was talking to her about a specific sin that she was about to be stoned for. You can’t not sin. We have a sin nature which is why we need Jesus. As believers we can try our best, and should, but it’s simply not possible to live sin-free lives.
                    I understand this from a point of everyone sins, but there's no such thing as a good person? We're just all equal. Hitler, Ted Bundy, myself, and Mother Teresa are all neck and neck?

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                      I understand this from a point of everyone sins, but there's no such thing as a good person? We're just all equal. Hitler, Ted Bundy, myself, and Mother Teresa are all neck and neck?

By man’s standards absolutely we can say some are good and some are bad. By GOD’s standards you are either covered by the blood or you’re not. It’s literally that simple. So if all those people you mentioned accepted Jesus, yep.

Comment

"You can't not sin", seems to me like thats a very convenient excuse.
                        If the Lady could quit that "very specific " sin, why couldn't she quit all her sins.
                        I'm calling BS on that one.
                        Yes you can choose to not sin.

Comment

If the Lady could quit that "very specific " sin, why couldn't she quit all her sins.

It’s your right to believe whatever you want to. I just gave you my personal belief. I’m not sure why we need a Savior if we can do it ourselves.

Comment

It’s your right to believe whatever you want to. I just gave you my personal belief. I’m not sure why we need a Savior if we can do it ourselves.
                            I didn't say you could do it without him, I just said you could not sin

Comment

I didn't say you could do it without him, I just said you could not sin

You can choose not to commit a certain sin absolutely. You also absolutely can NOT “choose” to live a sinless life. It’s not in our power. My grand baby could lie before she was 2 years old. That wasn’t a learned behavior. That’s called a sin nature and we all have it.

Comment

I’m not saying this is the gospel but there is no telling what the exact wording Jesus used in Hebrew but through translation I’ve always imagined Jesus telling the woman to be good or behave or quit doing what she knows what is wrong. A lot of of times the words Jesus used were just that simple and understandable.

Comment

Working...
                                X