No announcement yet.

How much of your deer do you eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 quarters, straps, tenderloins, and some neck if there’s enough. The rest is critter food.

Comment

Quarters, straps, tenders, neck, flank, meat on out side of ribs, heart, liver & other organs for the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
        Was taught to take all that you can - leave nothing to waste. I know the ribs are a pain but I try to not leave much behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        I do the same!

Comment

I would have to ask the guy that I give my deer meat to.

That is, if my boy shoots one. I haven't killed one in a few years.

Comment

I don’t kill deer to feed the coyotes, I kill them to feed me and mine. The heart, liver, lungs, kidneys, spleen, windpipe, tongue, and caul fat are all saved from the gut pile. I eat the heart and the tongue, everything else becomes dog treats or catfish bait. I take pruning shears and trim the rib cages off whole, then cut them in half like baby-back ribs for packaging. Look up the MeatEater “Cheater Ribs” recipe to find out why. Femurs and humerus bones get cut in half then dropped in stew for soup bones. The neck gets cut off at the shoulders and packaged whole, I actually bought a bigger crockpot to do neck roast in, it’s an absolute feast every time! Pretty much the only thing left out in the pasture is the digestive system, the hide, hooves, head (for does) and a clean spine.

Comment

Crockpot deer ribs are one of my favorites. Gotta love the size of Midwest whitetails ribs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

^^ now those actually look worth saving

Comment

Working...
                X