Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much of your deer do you eat?

Everything but brains ALMOST

My kids love kidneys, don’t forget those. If you don’t care for the taste, grind it into your burger or sausage.

Also, hooves make a good collagen addition to bone broth.

I’ve saved leaf fat for soap, but haven’t made any yet. Anybody have any experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I starve the buzzards.

Comment

Quarters
        Straps
        Tenders
        Neck
        Heart
        Shanks
        Flank
        Bones from quarters for stock

Comment

I don't leave much if I can help it. Bones for stock, caul fat, kidneys and liver get used for boudin. Trim for sausage. Quarters are steaked out or kept whole depending on what Im wanting to do with them. I enjoy the butchering/processing part as much as I do cooking it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

All meat that I can scrape off.

Comment

Straps and quarters and tenderloins always. Flank meat and neck meat off the big ones. How much I leave is directly related to how many deer I have in the freezer, what time of season it is, and whether I've got one or two hanging. Early, one deer, take it all clean and tight. Late with a couple in the freezer and a couple hanging to process before we leave the ranch, I'm sloppy.

Comment

I eat the heart and backstraps, leave the rest for the animals.

Just got through checking all of my stands in highway medians this year.

Comment

I did the gutless on a few last year, and made a small incision to get the tenders, cut the neck off to trim up later. Really felt like the only thing I was really leaving was rib meat(don't keep any organs). No way that's 10-20lbs. Most gets ground these day's with 3 boy's. It's just to easy for quick meals in the evenings during the week. Usually are running out right around middle of bowseason. Try to put 4-5 in the freezer every year.
                  Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 07-22-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

had a older gentleman tell me a couple of months ago that he dehydrates the liver for dog treats. I eat the heart but may try this also this year

Comment

1/4's, straps, tenders, neck
                      hart, liver, kidneys I keep for catfish bait

Comment

saving some of these parts for dog treats seem like a good idea that I may try

I normally take most of my stuff to the processor but will normally process one deer a year myself, mostly because I use it for home made jerky meat and I want it cut a certain way. Later in the season I'll start cutting the backstraps and loins out and taking in quarters from different deer to the processor, instead of the whole deer. I dont mess with the other parts of the deer

Comment

Quarters, straps, tenders, flanks for fajitas, neck, I’m going to experiment with ribs and see if they can be smoked and not be tougher than a rock

I’m open to suggestions on the ribs

Comment

Keep all the quarters, neck, fajita and straps, bones from those go to the dogs or the chickens. Usually eat the heart the day it was killed or for breakfast the next day. The liver and kidneys typically get eaten by the dog while cleaning the deer. If it’s a big deer or axis I’ll mess with the rib meat but smaller deer I typically don’t waste the time.

Comment

It would appear that I am a horrible wasteful person. Quarters, straps, loins and what ever trimmable meat I can get. No organs and never done anything with the bones other than throw legs to the dogs.

Comment

I keep the 4 quarters, straps and tenders for about 2 deer. I kill 15-20 deer a year and do the same thing with them but give it away, except for a couple extra backstraps.

Comment

Working...
                                X