Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Poor man’s lease question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a camper that I’m going to give away if you want it. It’s between Estelline and Turkey. I’ve used it for ten years. It has two window ac units. I used space heaters in the winter they kept me plenty warm.

Comment

You could get a nice Kodiak canvas tent, cot and heater for $1200 easy. Its more portable than a camper and if well taken care of will last as long if not longer with less maintenance. Skip the ATV if you can get away with it...gives you an excuse to get a few extra steps in and you can get in and out of your hunting area without making as much noise. You can always take your vehicle to go retrieve your kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
        I have a camper that I’m going to give away if you want it. It’s between Estelline and Turkey. I’ve used it for ten years. It has two window ac units. I used space heaters in the winter they kept me plenty warm.
        since i piggy backed, i'll the OP respond first.. it's only right....

David G

Comment

Camper.

Comment

A couple very generous offers in this thread, love this TBH crowd! Glad to be a part of it...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Depend on the size. How big is it?

If its too small, a living quarters is going to alert every game animal on the place if you need electricity and make a lot of noise. I've seen that make a place that had game on the cameras all the time to them going awol on the weekend when the camp is active.

truth was given here

Comment

I'm going with a camper. If the place is pretty small you can just run battery/propane utilities and lights and avoid making noise with the generator. Having a "home base" with general items like the stove and cookware and paper plates and all that really helps make the whole lease game more efficient. Unless you're taking a few trips a year during hunting season I think packing supplies back and forth and setting up tents will get frustrating. Once the camper is setup and stocked you've got minimal items to pack in and out each trip and a comfortable place to sleep and charge your electronic gizmos.

Comment

Camper shell, we spent years at a 100 acre lease living out of a camper shell on a pickup bed trailer. Set it up in one of the front corners of the place. On a small place forget about the evening fire and sitting around visiting. It helped that the blind was a 6 foot square, and on a 6 foot high tower because I could also sleep in it.

If there is electric available, I would recommend thinking about a container cabin. A 20 footer is more than enough. Reasonable cost to move. Easy to finish out yourself if you go simple.

Comment

I have been in this situation for a long time. I am fortunate to have a friend that lets me use his 100 acres to hunt. Not sure I could hunt otherwise.

I have found hunting and fishing, especially if you want a boat are not a poor mans sports.

For your $1200, it will be tough to find a decent 4 wheeler that doesn't need work/money to keep it running. I would do like others have said, get a decent tent and maybe a pop-up canopy. Then work on good ice chests that keep your stuff cold for a while, things to make processing and skinning easier.

Not familiar with your place, but you might be able to take a weed eater and a brush attachment to clear an area for a small camp closer to your trails if needed.

Good luck to you sir.

J

Comment

It depends on the small property. I hunted 55 acres. Had a cabin on it. I sat around the fire pit playing music at night and grilled outside. Get up in the morning and could almost guarantee to have at least 5 shot opportunities every morning at the camp feeder. I often just drank coffee and sat with a rifle from camp. It depends on the small property and the game there.

Comment

Lots of variables but I’ll say this, you can still hunt without blinds, atv’s and feeders. It may not be as easy but you’re still hunting.
                        It sure is nice having a comfy sleeping/camp situation.

Comment

Camper.... never new a “poor man” first time leaser with an ATV

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown View Post
                            I have a camper you can have. Its a 30 footer with a title. The roof has water damage. We were going to put some R panels on it but I ended buying another camper instead. Last time I used it the AC and Hotwater heater did work but the refrigerator did not. It's covered in tarps now. Let me know if you're interested. As is......no warranty!
                            WOnderful offer! WOW! But that's gonna be too big for what they allow on this place. Thanks though!

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                              Camper.... never new a “poor man” first time leaser with an ATV
                              Was comparing to the lease setups I've seen that probably run into the six figures between the glitzy off-road rigs, brand new campers & trucks and blinds finished off nicer than my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Depend on the size. How big is it?

If its too small, a living quarters is going to alert every game animal on the place if you need electricity and make a lot of noise. I've seen that make a place that had game on the cameras all the time to them going awol on the weekend when the camp is active.
                                This. Ive seen it happen on a 1000 acre place before.

Comment

Working...
                                X