Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riddle me this Electric vehicle supporters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
    I know of at least two families that have lost their homes because a plugged in electric car caught fire. Them batteries are not real stable, from what I have been told. Recently bought a new golf cart and was deciding between electric and gas and I couldn’t find a dealer that would agree to put those new lithium batteries in at the shop. They all said you need to do that yourself, finally had one guy tell me they were very unstable. He also said give it 10 years or so, they need some more development.

I find that a bit hard to believe. These things have nannies all over them. Plus the battery chemistry used in lithium batteries is changing and is much more stable.

I just converted my golf cart to lithium and I see no downsides to them. I’ve learned a LOT about Lithium batteries and battery management systems over the last 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      You can scream, cry, ***** and pitch a fit all you want but electric vehicles are coming and the technology keeps getting better.

No reasonable person is foolish enough to believe they are going to replace gas vehicles overnight but their numbers will increase going forward.

I agree.
      My question is how will the overloaded grid support them?

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
        I agree.
        My question is how will the overloaded grid support them?

If the government would get out of the way, the private sector would figure it out.

Comment

If the government would get out of the way, the private sector would figure it out.

But they won’t. They’re shoving electric cars on us, and they’re ****ing up the power grid/supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So hypothetical speaking lets say Flash Outdoors gets his way, and it is determined that electrical veihicles while seemingly a great idea, just wouldnt realistically work becouse of current electricity constraints and there would be no further financial support for research and development into it. All was transitioned back to gas. How long do you believe we would be able to sustain normal day to day living before the amount of carbon doixide and nitrous oxide building up in the air became a serious issue/detrimental issue? Im not trying to make a point, this is a question i am asking myself as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
              So hypothetical speaking lets say Flash Outdoors gets his way, and it is determined that electrical veihicles while seemingly a great idea, just wouldnt realistically work becouse of current electricity constraints and there would be no further financial support for research and development into it. All was transitioned back to gas. How long do you believe we would be able to sustain normal day to day living before the amount of carbon doixide and nitrous oxide building up in the air became a serious issue/detrimental issue? Im not trying to make a point, this is a question i am asking myself as well.

I’m not concerned about that but I am concerned about how long we petroleum will be available to us. I don’t believe it is finite and we use a lot of it every day.

Comment

It's not just the electric cars that will get better / more efficient with time. It's everything. From HVAC, white goods, lighting, etc. But everything comes with a certain cost regarding power. Mining of precious metals for semis, damming rivers for hydro, pollution from coal, battery disposal, landfill problems, etc. Pick your poison. There isn't a simple fix or one size fits all when it comes to power production/usage. Its going to take a balanced approach and I'm betting we will mess it up plenty of times before we get it right. If we ever get it right. You only learn from your mistakes right?

Comment

Riddle me this Electric vehicle supporters.

Electric can’t keep up with petroleum.

What person wants to cook on an electric stove vs gas?

Last edited by Black Ice; 05-27-2021, 12:29 AM.

Comment

The technology in electric vehicles is changing so fast that what is a problem today is solved tomorrow and a new problem is created. The Europeans are ahead of in the use of EV's, so are the auto manufacturers.

Comment

I’m not concerned about that but I am concerned about how long we petroleum will be available to us. I don’t believe it is finite and we use a lot of it every day.

Private sector will solve those problems. Porsche right now is developing synthetic gas. It doesn't come from fossil fuels. It won't be long, and there will be (for lack of a better term) synthetic hydrocarbons that replace a significant portion of the fossil fuels we use to build batteries, car dash boards, computers, fuel, etc....The government just needs to stay the hell outta the way. There is no government mandate requiring Porsche to make synthetic gas, but Porsche is doing it anyways.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...sions-testing/

Comment

In FEB. of this year we had 3-4days of below freezing temps. The power grid wasn’t large enough to handle everyone running their heaters therefore we had rolling blackouts and busted pipes everywhere!

Not to mention the huge nightmare of buying power from other people and everything.

What do you think is gonna happen next year when there are thousands more people that are now sitting at home with their heaters AND electric vehicles charging?

Do people really think the grid can support electric vehicles replacing gas powered?
                        Best way for a money grab. Create a very bad situation they can blame on everyone but themselves.

At this point they know, and we know. It's a matter of time. Either way rates of some kind will go up to fix it.

This is sort of the same as Lake Travis water levels. Once every 10 years people freak out when a big drought hits and the lake drops a lot. All sorts of talk about running out of water, why do we sell so much of it, water rates, wells, and on and on non-stop. After a couple years of normal rain everyone forgets all about it. Not a peep on the issue. But thousands if not millions more people move into new homes etc.

Gee, I wonder what's going to happen during the next big drought since they've added who knows how many more 72" and larger pipes sucking water out since the last drought ended. Will the lake drop slower or faster?

It's kind of amazing that people can't see what will happen.

Maybe without electric water heaters, electric heat, electric oven, electric clothes dryer, pool equipment, ac condensers, etc........I’m a master electrician, I know better than to believe that. Might be able to run your lighting for 3-10 days but no way is it powering everything. People would be fools to believe that.

Like they believe all sorts of other things...So yes, they would believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          There's a lot of truth here. The advancements in technology are remarkable, but fully electric cars will only satisfy a niche market. I too believe that hybrid is the real future.

NONE of this will reduce total carbon emisions in any noticeable manner.

The biggest problem is the enviroidiots, and the government getting involved....and screwing up the free market. THAT ****** me all the way off! They never talk about the level of pollution and damage to the environment they are doing to build those batteries, and the dumb ****s have given no thought to where they will all end up when they quit working.
                          Originally posted by Mossback View Post
                          Tack on wind turbine blades and solar panel trash after its life and they would **** themselves
                          People have no clue (me either really) the vast mining it takes to get the rare earth materials for batteries and solar panels.

They will keep their head turned until fossil fuels are too far gone to come back and then they will step up, freak out, and act like the world is ending so we must do something NOW to save planet earth from battery pollution.

Just google rare earth mining impact. Imagine needing to mine 100, 1,000, or 10,000x as much.

Please tell me some TBHers do not support government funding for this. I thought we all agreed the government should not fund anything. Or are we at the point of...well fossil fuels get this so why not give electric this? LOL
                          Last edited by RiverRat1; 05-27-2021, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Well if all of you aren’t looking for a natural gas generator for the house you are going to be behind the 8 ball and this has nothing to do with electric cars. I see brown outs, just like California, coming to Texas very soon.
                            No doubt we have grid issues but whether the grid can support electric cars will be secondary over the next few years, primary will be if we can even keep the lights on in the house.

The whole car industry will sort itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              People have no clue (me either really) the vast mining it takes to get the rare earth materials for batteries and solar panels.

They will keep their head turned until fossil fuels are too far gone to come back and then they will step up, freak out, and act like the world is ending so we must do something NOW to save planet earth from battery pollution.

Just google rare earth mining impact. Imagine needing to mine 100, 1,000, or 10,000x as much.
                              I understand the rare earth metals mining. Which is why I am confident in saying we will never go full electric, only hybridization.

This thread has shown there there are a bunch of folks who don't want to destroy the environment, and don't care so much what is under the hood of their truck, as much as they care that their truck can pull a job trailer, a boat, haywagon, RV, go to the lease and back, or take them to Colorado, and not need to be plugged in or refueled every 200 miles.

Comment

To really add something to think about we already have the privilege of paying $360.00 each man woman and child annually for the renewable energy subsidies now. How much more will it cost us for even more renewable energy in the future? Keep in mind that no electricity is being purchased with this money.

Heck if you ask me it should almost be "free" by now with this kind of money flowing into it every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X