Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riddle me this Electric vehicle supporters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know of at least two families that have lost their homes because a plugged in electric car caught fire. Them batteries are not real stable, from what I have been told. Recently bought a new golf cart and was deciding between electric and gas and I couldn’t find a dealer that would agree to put those new lithium batteries in at the shop. They all said you need to do that yourself, finally had one guy tell me they were very unstable. He also said give it 10 years or so, they need some more development.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
      In FEB. of this year we had 3-4days of below freezing temps. The power grid wasn’t large enough to handle everyone running their heaters therefore we had rolling blackouts and busted pipes everywhere!

Not to mention the huge nightmare of buying power from other people and everything.

What do you think is gonna happen next year when there are thousands more people that are now sitting at home with their heaters AND electric vehicles charging?

Do people really think the grid can support electric vehicles replacing gas powered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

C'mon man, don't be trying to talk common sense now!

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
        I know of at least two families that have lost their homes because a plugged in electric car caught fire. Them batteries are not real stable, from what I have been told. Recently bought a new golf cart and was deciding between electric and gas and I couldn’t find a dealer that would agree to put those new lithium batteries in at the shop. They all said you need to do that yourself, finally had one guy tell me they were very unstable. He also said give it 10 years or so, they need some more development.
        And we are going to have landfills full of those things decaying - sounds ecologically friendly

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
          The fact of the matter is, few people have any clue the HUGE amounts of power they use every day just to stay comfortable. We have come to be absolutely spoiled by the massive amounts of energy in fossil fuels, and can't seem to grasp how much renewable infrastructure it will take to even make a small dent in fossil fuel ( and nuclear ) use.
          Have you been through the Palm Springs area in CA and seen all he wind turbines there? that is going to be the scene from coast to coast, along with solar farms if they want to replace all the fossil with wind and solar.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            Some of us have a nuanced view that is lost in these all or nothing threads. We can respect electric vehicles for the awesomeness they are, the power they have, the ease of maintenance they are, the lack of moving parts, as well as recognize the downside of them, which is it puts a bigger strain on the power grid, burns more coal, uses more precious metals, the batteries are a huge pollutant, I could keep going.
            Thank you very well said. I am fascinated with EV but at the same time understand the hurdles. To be honest my fascination might be more in watching new and existing companies overcome these hurdles and innovate more than the actual cars themselves. I used the be the guy that stood there with my arms crossed saying nope, won't happen, never gonna happen, your stupid. But after a while of seeing things I said wouldn't happen..happen. It made me stand back an reconsider my thinking. In my case (and only my case) it was because I was unfamiliar with the innovation that I was so firmly against. It has taught me to definitely be more open minded and to consider both sides of the argument fairly through out the discussion as well as continually learning about things I don't know all that much about.

Comment

Maybe without electric water heaters, electric heat, electric oven, electric clothes dryer, pool equipment, ac condensers, etc........I’m a master electrician, I know better than to believe that. Might be able to run your lighting for 3-10 days but no way is it powering everything. People would be fools to believe that.

Own your own business? Maybe I am wrong here, but I see electricians getting stupid rich off installing charging stations the next 10 years. You should be promoting people to buy electric cars!

Comment

I want a plug in hybrid truck that is like the F150, but I’m waiting for a 3/4 or a 1 ton version. Gas + electric = the best of both worlds when it comes to a grid down situation.

In the meantime, my modest solar setup should be able to alternate between running lights and fans and our fridge or a window unit indefinitely for less than $2k invested. But I’m doing it all by myself and shopping around for parts to keep the cost down.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  Thank you very well said. I am fascinated with EV but at the same time understand the hurdles. To be honest my fascination might be more in watching new and existing companies overcome these hurdles and innovate more than the actual cars themselves. I used the be the guy that stood there with my arms crossed saying nope, won't happen, never gonna happen, your stupid. But after a while of seeing things I said wouldn't happen..happen. It made me stand back an reconsider my thinking. In my case (and only my case) it was because I was unfamiliar with the innovation that I was so firmly against. It has taught me to definitely be more open minded and to consider both sides of the argument fairly through out the discussion as well as continually learning about things I don't know all that much about.
                  Not saying it can't or won't happen, they are just trying to force it to happen too quickly and there are good and bad aspects to just about everything. Don't promote something as being totally "green" when it isn't. Lay all the facts out on the table, but that doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
                    Not saying it can't or won't happen, they are just trying to force it to happen too quickly and there are good and bad aspects to just about everything. Don't promote something as being totally "green" when it isn't. Lay all the facts out on the table, but that doesn't happen.
                    Facts have no place when emotions are used to shove new government BS down our throats.

Comment

Yall dont worry about it......... Biden is going to fix everything..........

Comment

Whatever we drive is going to have the EPA up in arms. Within a few years it will be, what the heck are we going to do with all these used batteries. I guess pollute the ground water rather than the air. LOL!

Comment

So let's go all electric. The efficiency of gas turbines on the grid now run about 60 to 70 percent. Can't depend on solar or wind power. ERCOT proved that. So anyone thinks you can get more heat energy out of raw natural gas through a turbine generator is not looking at the pollution level that they contribute to.
                          I worked for utilities 48 years. That's why I use natural gas to heat with. Most people don't think about efficiency per btu output.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                            Whatever we drive is going to have the EPA up in arms. Within a few years it will be, what the heck are we going to do with all these used batteries. I guess pollute the ground water rather than the air. LOL!

The EPA is nothing more than a revenue generating, gun hand, for a corrupt government against fossil fuels. Just another trash beuracracy.

There’s no thought put into any of this “environmentalist” bull****. Those people are as dumb as they are noisy...they’ve never accomplished anything positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe without electric water heaters, electric heat, electric oven, electric clothes dryer, pool equipment, ac condensers, etc........I’m a master electrician, I know better than to believe that. Might be able to run your lighting for 3-10 days but no way is it powering everything. People would be fools to believe that.

You didn't read the rest of the Green agenda, didja?

water heaters? who needs those?
                              clothes dryer? same
                              pool equipment???? are you serious?????

Comment

You can scream, cry, ***** and pitch a fit all you want but electric vehicles are coming and the technology keeps getting better.

No reasonable person is foolish enough to believe they are going to replace gas vehicles overnight but their numbers will increase going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X