Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riddle me this Electric vehicle supporters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will continue driving my dirty polluting diesels as long as I can

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
      where do you get a 1amp load?

what i am saying is if a tesla powerwall can power most lights and appliances in a home then so can this....its the exact same thing.

it says based on a 30kWh use it can last 3 days and longer if scaled back....isn't that above the average daily use of a normal home?

A 1200w load for 24hr is 28.8kwh. A blowdryer pulls more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
        I'm ready to go back to the 70's with points and condenser.
        Hey, at least any mechanic can make it run, for cheap, poorly

Comment

where do you get a 1amp load?

what i am saying is if a tesla powerwall can power most lights and appliances in a home then so can this....its the exact same thing.

it says based on a 30kWh use it can last 3 days and longer if scaled back....isn't that above the average daily use of a normal home?

Judging from the rating of 30kwh for 3days, they are saying the truck can support 90kwh total.

That will run a 15kw heater for 6 hrs total. And you would have no juice to run into town. Lol

Comment

as an electrician do you not install powerwalls?

No I don’t install powerwalls.

Comment

I do think electric motors will replace the conventional driveline we see today, but we need to improve our electric grid, battery quality, and install onboard genset to the vehicle.

Comment

Do these folks not understand that there are some actual folks in the world that can do a little math and have at least a slight understanding of The Laws of Thermodynamics??

It looks like the "extended" range battery offers 155kW-hr. For you non-electricification understanding folks that mean "in a perfectly efficient system" you could pull 155,000 Watts for 1 hour or 1 Watt for 155,000 hours. Based on their specs you can only pull 9.6kW at at time.....assuming 120V that's 80 amps.

So the most you could use running a 120V load for a full day is 80A x 120V x 24hr is 230,400 W-hr or 230 kw-hr. If their specs are legit I think it is possible that you could run your house for a few days without the AC. They don't list how much current you can pull off the 240V plug but a 4 ton AC needs about 12kW to start and runs at about 4000W....so I don't think the truck would be able to start your home AC...not sure what the trucks instantaneous current limit is though.

Comment

Some of us have a nuanced view that is lost in these all or nothing threads. We can respect electric vehicles for the awesomeness they are, the power they have, the ease of maintenance they are, the lack of moving parts, as well as recognize the downside of them, which is it puts a bigger strain on the power grid, burns more coal, uses more precious metals, the batteries are a huge pollutant, I could keep going.

Bottom line is, there will be no electric vehicles in 15 years. There will be tons of hybrids though, all of which make more power than any current electric or diesel vehicle could ever dream. The free market will sort this out as soon as battery prices come down. And it's going to be awesome.

Comment

Ask yourself how much a new set of batteries are going to cost when the originals are dead and more importantly (this is for the save the world types) what are we going to do with all those dead batteries.
                    What kind of energy are we going to have to use to charge all these wonderful new electric vehicles? Duh!!!!

Comment

I ready for my Ford powerboost hybrid..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                        I in think it should be mandatory for every single person charging their vehicles at home to have solar power. Specifically for charging that thing.
                        Each petrol powered vehicle acts as essentially as its own power plant.

Where as electrical vehicles will need power from an already strained power grid to run, unless your example comes to fruition.

Lot of things will need to change for electric cars to be practical, but not sure that will decrease any carbon footprints.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          Some of us have a nuanced view that is lost in these all or nothing threads. We can respect electric vehicles for the awesomeness they are, the power they have, the ease of maintenance they are, the lack of moving parts, as well as recognize the downside of them, which is it puts a bigger strain on the power grid, burns more coal, uses more precious metals, the batteries are a huge pollutant, I could keep going.

Bottom line is, there will be no electric vehicles in 15 years. There will be tons of hybrids though, all of which make more power than any current electric or diesel vehicle could ever dream. The free market will sort this out as soon as battery prices come down. And it's going to be awesome.
                          There's a lot of truth here. The advancements in technology are remarkable, but fully electric cars will only satisfy a niche market. I too believe that hybrid is the real future.

NONE of this will reduce total carbon emisions in any noticeable manner.

The biggest problem is the enviroidiots, and the government getting involved....and screwing up the free market. THAT ****** me all the way off! They never talk about the level of pollution and damage to the environment they are doing to build those batteries, and the dumb ****s have given no thought to where they will all end up when they quit working.

Comment

The fact of the matter is, few people have any clue the HUGE amounts of power they use every day just to stay comfortable. We have come to be absolutely spoiled by the massive amounts of energy in fossil fuels, and can't seem to grasp how much renewable infrastructure it will take to even make a small dent in fossil fuel ( and nuclear ) use.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                              Lol. That’s not how this works.

Maybe I should have used a sarcasm emoji or something. I'm an electrical engineer and understand the physics involved perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                There's a lot of truth here. The advancements in technology are remarkable, but fully electric cars will only satisfy a niche market. I too believe that hybrid is the real future.

NONE of this will reduce total carbon emisions in any noticeable manner.

The biggest problem is the enviroidiots, and the government getting involved....and screwing up the free market. THAT ****** me all the way off! They never talk about the level of pollution and damage to the environment they are doing to build those batteries, and the dumb ****s have given no thought to where they will all end up when they quit working.
                                Tack on wind turbine blades and solar panel trash after its life and they would **** themselves

Comment

Working...
                                X