No announcement yet.

Baitcaster Reels at Academy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had good luck with some of the 13 fishing reels Have read bad reviews on them also but the ones I have have been great

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      What was it you didn't like about it? I have 4 of them set up exactly alike on custom rods and they're the best casting and fish fighting reels I've had since I fished the old Diawa PT series back before I fell into the Curado fanboy club... I love 'em.
      The way I keep my finger and thumb on the line while retrieving, pushes the line up into the top of the T.
      This causes all the line to spool right in the center of the spool.
      Happened the very first cast lol.
      I was just working in a mirror lure, and the reel froze up.
      Looked down and 100ft or so of line was wrapped up, directly in the center, and locked up against the frame.
      Took me a second to figure it out.
      I can fish with it, but I have to try too hard, to keep from doing something I've been doing subconsciously since the age of 3 or 4.
      Bought the new Lews Custom Inshore SLP the same day as the TWS, and it's a dud as well.
      That was in Sept, and the last new reels I've bought.
      Been bummed ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        The way I keep my finger and thumb on the line while retrieving, pushes the line up into the top of the T.
        This causes all the line to spool right in the center of the spool.
        Happened the very first cast lol.
        I was just working in a mirror lure, and the reel froze up.
        Looked down and 100ft or so of line was wrapped up, directly in the center, and locked up against the frame.
        Took me a second to figure it out.
        I can fish with it, but I have to try too hard, to keep from doing something I've been doing subconsciously since the age of 3 or 4.
        Bought the new Lews Custom Inshore SLP the same day as the TWS, and it's a dud as well.
        That was in Sept, and the last new reels I've bought.
        Been bummed ever since.
        I do the same thing when I'm reeling and it's hard to break the habit because I've been doing it since I was taught to hold a fishing pole as a child. I would probably have the same issue.

Comment

Totally understand... I do something similar, but I hold my index finger on top of the line so that T wing is not a problem for me... The other thing I do if fill em up with 40# spiderwire and tie on about 4-6 feet of leader material with a crazy Alberto knot... That spiderwire works great on these reels.

Comment

Shimano Curado or Chronarch

Comment

I own 3 Diawa Tatulas - very smooth.

Trailboss

Comment

I'm curious to know OP what you end up purchasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  I'm curious to know OP what you end up purchasing.
                  I'm leaving the office at noon and will go to Academy afterwards. I'm leaning toward the SLX DC right now... The Abu Revo looks like a solid option too.

Comment

SLX or SLX XT. My boat is full of them, like others have said if you can cast a baitcaster no need for the DC. I like the XT due to extra bearings and additional easy breaking system on the side for extreme winds. However they're both great.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      I didn't interest me either.

Then I casted one

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      This 100%. One cast and I was hooked, no pun intended. Silky smooth.

Comment

curado

Comment

Shimano Curado 70 Baitcast Reel

Comment

Well, I went in looking at Shimano's and left with a Tatula SV. The only SLX DC they had was a left hand model and the regular SLX didn't feel as well built as the Tatula to me (but there was $100 price difference so that's expected). Picked up some viscious fluorocarbon so I'll get put on the new rod when I get home and put her to work this evening. Thanks for all of the advice. A guy that built my last one owes me a custom rod so I will try the Shimano DC on that one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210326-132139_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	24648432

Name:	Screenshot_20210326-132054_Gallery.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	24648433

Name:	Screenshot_20210326-132039_Gallery.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	24648434

Comment

Comment

man now I need to go shoppin. I can read through all the new vehicle threads and not care but the fishing gear and new bow threads get me antsy

Comment

Working...
                                X