Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would NOT shoot at a trophy on fence line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
    I cant say honestly whether I would or not. I would hope that I had enough control to not shoot, but given the situation would determine my answer I guess. If it was wide open country it would depend on the way he was traveling maybe. If I had a limited shooting lane I cant honestly say I wouldnt take the shot. Also just because you dont miss doesnt mean the bullet is still not crossing the fence line.

All this being said I would not set myself up for this situation though.
    Ah, grasshoppa...copout; too many if's. You are driving along the ranch and see the trophy of a lifetime...30 yards inside your ranch/lease. Nothing but scattered woods behind him. You don't have time to ponder; you must make a decision quickly or your dream buck is going ti disappear into the brush.

Comment

Boom

Comment

It would take a better man than me to let him pass.

Comment

I'd shoot, but I hope I'd be cognizant that I wasn't shooting towards a deer blind on the other side of the fence where someone might be sitting.

we don't hunt (and by lease contract, cannot set stands within 300 yards of a low fence boundary), but we do drive fencelines. If a really big deer was on my side, that's my deer.
          Last edited by kyle1974; 11-18-2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Bang.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              Ah, grasshoppa...copout; too many if's. You are driving along the ranch and see the trophy of a lifetime...30 yards inside your ranch/lease. Nothing but scattered woods behind him. You don't have time to ponder; you must make a decision quickly or your dream buck is going ti disappear into the brush.
              LOL....Not a copout. I said I couldnt honestly say I would or wouldnt. People do stupid things in the heat of the moment.

Comment

I would shoot no doubt. And I wouldent mind if they did the same

Comment

We grew up hunting fencelines. We had a place that bordered Rob and Bessie's Wildife refuge and we took advantage of the nice clean roads our place had as well as the refuge on their border fence. Our one feeder late in our 27 years of hunting the place was never on them but we did have blinds down them on our side. We did dump a 5 gallon bucket into the road though as that was our feeder before we had feeders. Back in the day that was usually the only openings to put blinds on ....that and the few roads.

If he walks in front of me he better step into the woodline because Pay-yah!
                  Last edited by Smart; 11-18-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

My neighbor has his son set up his feeder on our property line. His box blind is 80 yards away facing our property. Being as im not there all the time, we just have an agreement that when I decide to show up to do some work or get away, I call a couple days in advance so he can tell his son to not hunt that day. We have had this mutual understanding for a couple years and works well. A gentleman's agreement and a handshake and we were good.

Comment

Drop him in his tracks

Comment

I simply will not take a shot unless I have a backstop. Period. If your stray bullet hits someone or comes close you are in deep, deep trouble -- legally and morally. Those of ya'll that say, "shoot" worry me, lol. I'm only on 65ish acres and your stray bullet can reach me.

Being the "outdoors type", I wander my property just for fun. Sometimes at 2AM with night vision just to see what kinds of critters I can sneak up on. If you are out there hunting hogs at night and miss...
                        Last edited by ken800; 11-18-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I think the question is pertaining to ethics/morals only, the shot is safe. If I am right. He dead. He's on my side, I would expect neighbor to do the same if he's 30 yards on their side.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

This is East Texas...we shoot em on either side of the fence. Probably be too dark to see the fence anyway. Lol.

A couple of my stands are near a fence line, but I always set my stands up so I'm not in a position to have to make that call.

Comment

Ponder this:

If my math serves me correctly, a square 200 tract is slightly less than 1000yds by 1000yds (983.86 to be exact). That means if anybody is in the MIDDLE of the property and shoots in any direction, the bullet would cross the property line, absent trees, brush or hitting an animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                                This is East Texas...we shoot em on either side of the fence. Probably be too dark to see the fence anyway. Lol.
                                An honest man!

Comment

Working...
                                X