Coyotes Kill Mature Buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyotes Kill Mature Buck?

So when we got to the ranch a couple of weeks ago we found this buck dead in the brush. I initially thought it was a poacher that either shot him from the road or was trespassing, However, after I looked at the pictures from the game camera, I found this...
    Attached Files

Best I can figure is that the coyotes ran him until they finally caught and bit him (the water in the trough was blood red), then he mostly bled out in the trough until he was weak enough that the coyotes could drag him out.

Comment

Something wrong with that buck, don't think the coyotes started it.

Comment

Sure as heck looks like it. I watched them drag down a full grown axis over a 30 minute period on camera. Very disturbing yet impressive.

Comment

If only these pictures could talk... Not sure but is he dead in the 3rd pic??

Comment

Dang that was crazy. **** yotes are relentless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He was probably sick or wounded. You have coyotes stalking him at 1:45 then a doe and fawn? cruise by 45 minutes later.
              In the last picture I can’t tell if he’s being drug out of the tank or dragging himself out of the tank. Either way I’m sure coyotes finished him off.

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                Something wrong with that buck, don't think the coyotes started it.
                I'm here. Believe that deer already had a wound of some sort and was headed to water. There he made an easy target.

Comment

Wounded deer often go to water to escape a predator. See it all the time with the deer dogs. My guess is he was wounded in a fight and coyotes found him bedded up. He got pushed to the closest water source he could find to try to escape them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                    Wounded deer often go to water to escape a predator. See it all the time with the deer dogs. My guess is he was wounded in a fight and coyotes found him bedded up. He got pushed to the closest water source he could find to try to escape them.
                    I would lean this way too.

Comment

That may be the craziest trail cam sequence I’ve ever seen.

I bet he was wounded in a fight and the yotes saw an opportunity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree he was probably injured and coyote finished him off

Comment

Deer with hemorrhagic disease or blue tongue etc. with fever often seek out water to cool down. May have been that and met his demise soon after.

Comment

Looks to me like the yoties ran him to death. Crazy anyways, but not much telling how many fawns and rutted down bucks that are killed.

Comment

I had a buck taken down by coyotes on my trail camera years ago down at Chap. It had been shot(spine injury) by another hunter a long ways away. They just seem to know when a buck has a weakness and pounce.

Comment

Working...
                              X