Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s sure is some pretty country. I will be in Illinois Saturday through Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
      That’s sure is some pretty country. I will be in Illinois Saturday through Friday.
      We love it here. Good luck in Illinois. The pre-rut is kicking in hard right now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Cat may have a 6th sense. Better keep an eye on him. He'll let ya know when a biggun's around.
        As you can see the deer and my cats are buddies.[emoji38][emoji106]

Comment

[emoji23]

I did see a cat use a scrape one time. I was hunting that scrape till the cat did it's business in it. [emoji23]

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I am a couple of of days behind and I am going to catch y'all up.

On Tuesday evening I hunted across the road from the house at a stand that I hunted last year. It sits on a little ledge above where a feeder creek dumps into the river. There are always fresh scrapes in this area. I was a little surprised and disappointed that I did not see anything.

Yesterday evening I hunted out of my tree saddle above the bean field that you can see from the Terrace stand. At around 6:00pm I saw a nice 8 point buck at the little food plot behind our house. At about 6:30pm a fork horn buck came out of the bedding area near where I was sitting. I saw two does on the long food plot right at dark.

Today was my first morning sit of the season. This spot is about a mile north of our farm on my neighbors ground. I didn't get up until 6:45. I actually did not want to get out before daylight today. I have to cross the river and I am hunting out of my tree saddle. Since I have never hunted this exact area I didn't want to make the river crossing, find a tree, and set up my saddle before daylight.

I got dressed and jumped in the Ranger at about 7:15 and made the 2 mile drive to get around to where my access point is located. I am sitting in about a 3-4 acre flat area at the bottom of a steep hill and right along and above the North Fabius River. Oh...and the river is up a little...the dang beavers have built a dam... and I did get water in my right boot and it's cold !![emoji3525]

I was set up and ready to hunt at a little before 8:00am. At 8:45 I pulled out the rattling horns for the first time this season. I hit them together hard a couple of times and did about a 30 second sequence followed by a couple of grunts. While I was hanging the horns on the hook I caught a flash of brown and white to my right at about 50 yards. It was a decent 10 point buck. He disappeared from my sight so I hit the grunt call again. He appeared again bristled up and ended up coming in to 18 yards. I was at full draw on him and could have easily made the shot. I might regret my decision but at this point in the season and knowing what could be out there he was not the buck that I am hoping to kill.

I rattled my whole hunting career in Texas and only ever rattled in two bucks. Both on hunts at Hagerman. I have rattled in 5 here. Four last season and this buck this morning. It is amazing how these bucks react to rattling and grunts.

Here are a few pictures from this morning. The first one is my walk in. A view from the tree. Me in the tree saddle. I got a few pictures of the buck as he was walking away.

Comment

Love the pictures Mike ! Makes me feel like I’m there.......minus the cold water in my boot !

Comment

Mike, awesome coverage thus far! Thanks for the pixels in the recap as they are very interesting and help tell the story!

Comment

Good luck Mike.. Understand passing on that 10 knowing what Iowa could produce.

Comment

Following along, thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Comment

Checking in....keep after them sir.

Appreciate you letting us follow along.
                      Rwc

Comment

I am in my Creek Bottom stand this evening. This is the first sit in this stand for this season. I have not set foot in this bottom since spring turkey season. The stand is an original Game Tamer. It's mounted in a Black Walnut. If you know how Black Walnut leaves and husks stain stuff take a look at the seat in the first picture.

I have seen a doe and a 6 point buck. Both across the river in one of our food plots. You might can make out the buck thru the brush on the edge of the food plot. The last two pictures are views from to this stand.

Comment

Caught up and following!
                          I’ll be in Iowa zone 4 Nov 1-10.
                          Enjoy your live hunt!
                          I’ll have one going on myself next week.

Comment

Good luck Mike, I hope you fill a tag soon!!

Comment

Good luck. Heading to very Southern MN early in the morning to hunt all next week!

Comment

Originally posted by Hsbtgarcia View Post
                                Caught up and following!
                                I’ll be in Iowa zone 4 Nov 1-10.
                                Enjoy your live hunt!
                                I’ll have one going on myself next week.

We have 8 in our group going Nov.1-8, 3 in zone 4 and 5 in zone 5. Leaving this evening and doing scouting Saturday and Sunday. We are staying in Weldon. Good luck, Hsbtgarcia.

Comment

Working...
                                X