Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
    I feel like I can shoot better from a saddle than I can from a lock on. You can brace yourself with tension from your feet on your platform and your tether pulling against your bridge. This gives you more stability for a steady hold at full draw.

Your weak side shot (1 o'clock to 2 o'clock for a right hand shooter) can be difficult. From 11 O'Clock on the left side of the tree all the way around to 3 O'clock is a relatively easy shot.

This buck came in at about 4 to 5 o'clock. I had grunted him in from about 60 yards. I had rotated around and was ready for a shot. This was a young buck and I was not shooting him. He saw me taking pictures but still ended up broadside at about 17 yards.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    That's what I am realizing. I practiced some crazy angle shots yesterday that I could not attempt from a treestand. The only shot that had any tension in it at all was a shot I took at my weak side, from my strong side. My tether was wrapped completely around the tree and I was basically on a flat lean. Now I wouldn't take that shot at a deer, but I did hit my mark. That's what is dumbfounding me is the amount of shooting angles you have from a saddle. Man, what have I been missing?

Looking forward to this season. Just wish my sticks would get here!

Hope you do another Hunting Season thread, I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      That's what I am realizing. I practiced some crazy angle shots yesterday that I could not attempt from a treestand. The only shot that had any tension in it at all was a shot I took at my weak side, from my strong side. My tether was wrapped completely around the tree and I was basically on a flat lean. Now I wouldn't take that shot at a deer, but I did hit my mark. That's what is dumbfounding me is the amount of shooting angles you have from a saddle. Man, what have I been missing?

Looking forward to this season. Just wish my sticks would get here!

Hope you do another Hunting Season thread, I really enjoyed it.
      When I stand up in a tree stand I sometimes get a sensation of vertigo unless I can lean against my lifeline tie off or unless I have a auxiliary waste belt to lean against (in addition to my safety harness tether). With the saddle and tether you are always under tension against the tree and in my opinion more stable and secure.

Here are some pictures where I was practicing last September. I was shooting from the tree in the background that had some preset ladder sections (Rapid Rails). I was shooting at about 22 yards from about 15' platform height. I am 6'4" so my bow was at about 20'. I am shooting into a no till foodplot. If you look close at the target picture you can see some turnips, radishes, and rye popping up.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
        I drew a non resident tag for Dec 4th through 8th. Will be using a 444 Marlin and in SW Iowa, near Glenwood, but I have always followed your posts and one day hope to do the same and relo up there. Living the dream my man.
        That will be a great hunt. Especially if it's on private ground. Public ground is great up here during archery season but can get a little.....no a lot crazy during the firearms season. I have a .450 Bushmaster for the firearms season.

Comment

Yessir I agree.

Good looking group

Comment

Working...
          X