No announcement yet.

Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am back in a tree this evening. I am hunting a classic skinny pinch. Harvested corn field to my left. CRP in front of me, river/feeder creek intersection to my right. River itself directly behind me. This little ledge that I am on is about 50 yards wide between the CRP and the river behind me. Two trails come together right below me. SSW wind in my face. A buck cruising these edges will funnel right thru here and never get my wind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Beautiful spot, good luck.

Comment

Very nice buck Mike! Well deserved!

Comment

Looks like a good spot!

Comment

It was slow last night at the skinny pinch. I saw one buck that I really could not identify cruising the CRP field.

I am in the Terrace stand this morning. I have seen 5 does and two bucks. This broke tine 10 point just cruised by at 38 yards on the edge of the cut bean field.

I tried to get a better picture but he was on the move. The second picture is a doe in the bean field.

Comment

Just got caught up on your thread, Arrowsmith. Congrats on the nice buck. Hunting out of the saddle, did you have any issues with shooting?

You are definetly in deer heaven.

A buddy went to Iowa, a party of 8, 6 connected on bucks, all public land. All very nice bucks, the smallest was a 140class 8pt.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                Just got caught up on your thread, Arrowsmith. Congrats on the nice buck. Hunting out of the saddle, did you have any issues with shooting?

You are definetly in deer heaven.

A buddy went to Iowa, a party of 8, 6 connected on bucks, all public land. All very nice bucks, the smallest was a 140class 8pt.
                Thanks !!! That is awesome that your friends had such great success. The public up here does not get much pressure. Especially during the week.

I really think I am more steady on my hold and aim out of the saddle. You can brace yourself with tension against the saddle or your knee against the tree which helps have a steady hold at full draw. Now.....with that being said it takes some practice shooting and learning what position you need to be in as a deer approaches.

The week side shot can be difficult. I have released two arrows at bucks this year here in Iowa. My first shot at buck on November 4th was a week side shot. Follow me now..... I took my bow off the hanger with my left hand. I keep my bow hanging on the left side of the tree. I had to cross over the bridge of my saddle. You have to be quick but very careful with this move. Careful in that you have to make sure you don't hit the tree with your nocked arrow or get your bow hung up in the bridge. So now I am crossed over and the buck is starting to angle away from me. For me it is a little hard to draw in the crossed over position....especially if it is 25 degrees and you a lot of clothes on. Anyway...I get to full draw and get the buck stopped. The deer is at about 2 O'clock. I end up a little short on yardage plus hit some wild rose stalks with my shot. The arrow deflected down for a clean miss. I was wrecked but got over it and got after them again. Second shot at a buck (the one pictured above) was on November 11. I grunted the buck in from 80 yards. He stopped at a scrape at 22 yards. This deer was on my strong side (to my left). He left the scrape was broadside at 20 I had a good solid hold and made the shot.

The strong side shot is a no brainer and it extends from past 12 O'clock counter clockwise to about 3 O'clock as you pivot around. I have learned to use my knees against the tree to help me to rotate and stay braced against the tree. My most difficult shot is the 1 O'Clock to 2 O'Clock shots which are just to the right of the tree. I don't have a ring of steps or any extra steps other than my Predator Platform and the top of my Helium step which I keep level with my platform on the right side if possible. Some guys use a ring of steps or at least a step or two to help move completely around the tree.

There are a ton of videos out there on saddle hunting. Here is a pretty good one. This video helped my learn to use my knees against the tree to rotate and brace. I leave my pack (which is not as big as the guys in the video) hanging from my tether and I put my knees against my pack. It works great unless your have something in the pack that makes noise. Some guys wear knee pads. Some guys use some type of foam pad on the tree to put their knees against. I hope this helps.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shr8uWgCakM"]The ULTIMATE Saddle Setup! Find comfort. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Great buck Mike, Congrats!

Comment

Thanx Arrowsmith

Comment

I am hunting our farm this morning. I saw 2 bucks and 5 does yesterday morning. The wind blew from the south yesterday at 25-30 mph. We had thunderstorms and heavy rain last night. This morning the wind is WNW and it is ripping. I am in a pretty hefty Black Walnut and it is swaying more than I have ever felt it move.

I decided not to hunt yesterday evening because of the high winds. At about 4:30 I was outside the shop and I saw a single deer in the cut bean field. I went inside to get my binos and when I came back out the deer was gone. While scanning around with my binos I spot a doe about 150 yards from me at the edge of some tall weeds. She came out of the weeds and darted back in. I then see a tall wide set of white antlers following her every step. I have never seen this buck before and he is one of the biggest I have seen since we have lived here. He has a very bad limp but he was steadily following the doe. I am set up in stand about 80 yards from where I first saw them. I have no idea if they are still in this area. I thought I have got to give it a try. This wind is actually pretty scary. I hope it lays down some.

Comment

The big buck chasing the doe was in the rust colored high weeds right past the blond grass yesterday evening. Just as I snapped the picture a small buck ran thru on this side of the blond colored grass.[emoji1]

Comment

Hopefully the new buck shows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                              Thanks !!! That is awesome that your friends had such great success. The public up here does not get much pressure. Especially during the week.

I really think I am more steady on my hold and aim out of the saddle. You can brace yourself with tension against the saddle or your knee against the tree which helps have a steady hold at full draw. Now.....with that being said it takes some practice shooting and learning what position you need to be in as a deer approaches.

The week side shot can be difficult. I have released two arrows at bucks this year here in Iowa. My first shot at buck on November 4th was a week side shot. Follow me now..... I took my bow off the hanger with my left hand. I keep my bow hanging on the left side of the tree. I had to cross over the bridge of my saddle. You have to be quick but very careful with this move. Careful in that you have to make sure you don't hit the tree with your nocked arrow or get your bow hung up in the bridge. So now I am crossed over and the buck is starting to angle away from me. For me it is a little hard to draw in the crossed over position....especially if it is 25 degrees and you a lot of clothes on. Anyway...I get to full draw and get the buck stopped. The deer is at about 2 O'clock. I end up a little short on yardage plus hit some wild rose stalks with my shot. The arrow deflected down for a clean miss. I was wrecked but got over it and got after them again. Second shot at a buck (the one pictured above) was on November 11. I grunted the buck in from 80 yards. He stopped at a scrape at 22 yards. This deer was on my strong side (to my left). He left the scrape was broadside at 20 I had a good solid hold and made the shot.

The strong side shot is a no brainer and it extends from past 12 O'clock counter clockwise to about 3 O'clock as you pivot around. I have learned to use my knees against the tree to help me to rotate and stay braced against the tree. My most difficult shot is the 1 O'Clock to 2 O'Clock shots which are just to the right of the tree. I don't have a ring of steps or any extra steps other than my Predator Platform and the top of my Helium step which I keep level with my platform on the right side if possible. Some guys use a ring of steps or at least a step or two to help move completely around the tree.

There are a ton of videos out there on saddle hunting. Here is a pretty good one. This video helped my learn to use my knees against the tree to rotate and brace. I leave my pack (which is not as big as the guys in the video) hanging from my tether and I put my knees against my pack. It works great unless your have something in the pack that makes noise. Some guys wear knee pads. Some guys use some type of foam pad on the tree to put their knees against. I hope this helps.

The ULTIMATE Saddle Setup! Find comfort. - YouTube
                              I know you’ve mentioned your setup on the saddle hunting thread and possibly here as well, but I can’t recall if you said whether you used a back band or not?

I’ve got an Aerohunter on order that is coming with one, but not sure how many people really use them.

Good luck on filling that 2nd buck tag!

Comment

I have not got a back band....yet. I think that will be my next saddle related purchase. Most guys say it really helps with comfort especially on longer sits. Also, a lot out guys will use something like a duffle bag strap just to see how they like it before buying one.

This morning I am in a Non Typical Outfitter lock on that back in the day was made by Wayne Prejean in Searcy, Arkansas. I have two with Rapid Rails which Wayne also invented. These stands have always been my "go to" lock ons. I can honestly say my saddle rig is more comfortable than this lock on. Now a Millinium 150 with a sling type seat.... yes it will be more comfortable than a saddle. Saddles aren't for everyone and they are just another tool to help us in our pursuit of whitetails or whatever your hunting. I sure enjoy hunting out of one and I am learning more every sit.

I am thinking about setting up in my saddle this evening right over there where you see the green cereal rye (3rd picture). There is a skinny pinch right there between a fence and a drainage where a lot of deer funnel thru. That straight Black Walnut I the left center of the picture looks like a good tree to set up in.

Comment

Working...
                                X