No announcement yet.

Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on a great buck. I really enjoy following your hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just caught up Mike!
      Congrats on a great buck!
      Well deserved my friend!!!

Comment

congrats on the bruiser!
        how in the world did you get him in the ranger?!

Comment

Congrats Mike !! Great Deer !!

Comment

Excellent buck! Thanks for taking us along! I want to know how you loaded him by yourself. I assume you have a winch?

You're beginning to like it up there, aren't ya?

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Hsbtgarcia View Post
                Just caught up Mike!
                Congrats on a great buck!
                Well deserved my friend!!!
                Thanks Heith!! Awesome buck your buddy killed. I am rooting for you. Good luck !!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great buck!
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

The buck ended up close to the ditch that you see to the left in this picture. I was able to back the Ranger down the slope on the far side of the ditch to where the tailgate was only about 18" off the ground. I drung the deer down towards the ditch and got his head and about 1/2 his body in the bed. I hooked his drop tine over the front edge of the bed then pulled his back legs up into the bed. I thought it was going to snap the little cables and the tailgate and ....yes it still almost killed me.

I was very fortunate that he ended up where he was. There were about a 1000 other scenarios that could have made it way more difficult. The North Fabius River was 30 yards behind me with about 20 foot sloping to shear bluff banks. If the had got up in the timber to my left it would have been tough as well. I would have had to call the neighbor's boys for assistance.

Here was my location.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      Excellent buck! Thanks for taking us along! I want to know how you loaded him by yourself. I assume you have a winch?

You're beginning to like it up there, aren't ya?
                      Randy. I answered your question above about loading the buck above but forgot to quote you.

And yes we love it!!! Not only for the hunting, but the country lifestyle, the friendly people, the lack of traffic, and yes.....the weather. We like the more milder temps and if its gets too cold we just stay inside. It was 23 when I got up this morning but it is almost up to 50 now. I think I might go out this evening and get in a tree.

Comment

Mike, when I had a Ranger one of the first things I did was have a welder friend of mine put a steel roof on it. That was mainly for me to fill feeders from on top of the roof, but I mounted a cheap Harbor Freight winch under the rear overhang, put a piece of plywood in the bed that was exactly the same size of the bed. I could let the bed dump, use the plywood as a ramp and winch a 250 lb. hog into the bed pretty easily by myself. The winch had a remote control so I could stand at the back and tuck legs or flip bodies as needed. Worked really well !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          Mike, when I had a Ranger one of the first things I did was have a welder friend of mine put a steel roof on it. That was mainly for me to fill feeders from on top of the roof, but I mounted a cheap Harbor Freight winch under the rear overhang, put a piece of plywood in the bed that was exactly the same size of the bed. I could let the bed dump, use the plywood as a ramp and winch a 250 lb. hog into the bed pretty easily by myself. The winch had a remote control so I could stand at the back and tuck legs or flip bodies as needed. Worked really well !
                          Great idea!! Mine has the plastic roof from Polaris. I still might figure out how to mount a winch though. I have a Harbour Freight electric winch in my shop. If you go to my Facebook page there is a video of me winching the deer up to process it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            Great idea!! Mine has the plastic roof from Polaris. I still might figure out how to mount a winch though. I have a Harbour Freight electric winch in my shop. If you go to my Facebook page there is a video of me winching the deer up to process it.
                            I’m thinking a good welder could attatch a flat plate to your roll bar to mount the wich on. With the bed in the dump position and a ramp it won’t be too much of a pull for the winch.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                              I’m thinking a good welder could attatch a flat plate to your roll bar to mount the winch on. With the bed in the dump position and a ramp it won’t be too much of a pull for the winch. You might even get by with U-bolts. Worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                                I’m thinking a good welder could attatch a flat plate to your roll bar to mount the winch on. With the bed in the dump position and a ramp it won’t be too much of a pull for the winch. You might even get by with U-bolts. Worth a try.
                                Good idea !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X