Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Pigs are a tough Sum Betch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    How he has grown to 30k people following him on YouTube blows my mind. [emoji2962]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He will be the cause in more wounded animals than any other factor this year. And that’s my honest opinion

Your arrow was fine ( I don’t like mechanicals... but that’s me). A space zombie arrow @ 9 pounds 4 oz with a single bevel at 31 degrees and rubbed with 17.32 pounds of pressure on a leather made from a ferrets scrotum might have penetrated a little deeper and had same recovery

Keep your chin up and try again!
    Last edited by Low Fence; 10-05-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I shot that pig Saturday with a trypan. Arrow was 15 yards on the other side of the pig. That said the trypan isn’t in the same class as the rest of the rage heads. It’s awesome. My guess is bad shot placement. I’ve killed a ton of pigs with mechanicals.

Comment

For the fellas asking earlier just weighted the arrow with broadhead for a total weight for 408.7 grains

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
          For the fellas asking earlier just weighted the arrow with broadhead for a total weight for 408.7 grains

That is a little on the light side in my opinion for shooting mechanicals at pigs. I like 450-525 grains. Whatever keeps me in the 280-290 FPS range. Get some fixed heads for pigs if you don’t want to change arrows and you will be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
            That’s plenty (I still prefer fixed, but that’s me)

I’ve killed dump truck loads with 383gr @ 280fps.... ( more than RF has seen)

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
              I've had great success with 1 3/8 Grim reaper mechanicals on hogs. I've killed at least 10 with them. I have pictures of the entry exit wounds if you are interested in switching broadheads, but want to stay with mechanicals.
              Curious on your finish arrow weight?

Comment

As a trad hunter, I like heavy arrows and cut on contact broadheads... but your arrow weight is plenty heavy from a compound. I'm thinking you caught some heavy bone and the rage just bled off too much energy to crack through.

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post
                  Curious on your finish arrow weight?
                  I’ve shot a few hogs with these and got pass throughs and I’m at around 390. Not sure on the FPS though, think it’s around 280.

Comment

I love how everyone is so quick to bash RF. You do realize his views aren’t really his own right? He is echoing Dr. Ashby’s 40+yrs of hard data. 40 yrs of kills with meticulous notes and data...not someone you says they have killed “truck loads” more than somebody else so they must be a reliable source of data.

The irony of this entire situation is the practice of high FOC arrows with “adult arrows” as he puts it, is literally to prevent exactly what happened to the OP!!! Y’all are hilarious [emoji23]

Comment

2” head for hogs is to much. Get you some low ke rage for pigs.
                      I shot one square in the shoulder quartering to Saturday morning 373 grain arrow 55# bow
                      Got 18” of Penetration

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                        I love how everyone is so quick to bash RF. You do realize his views aren’t really his own right? He is echoing Dr. Ashby’s 40+yrs of hard data. 40 yrs of kills with meticulous notes and data...not someone you says they have killed “truck loads” more than somebody else so they must be a reliable source of data.

The irony of this entire situation is the practice of high FOC arrows with “adult arrows” as he puts it, is literally to prevent exactly what happened to the OP!!! Y’all are hilarious [emoji23]

338 lapua is far more deadly squirrel weapon than a .22 Mag

RF is echoing someone else’s studies.... which have merit is some cases. His “hand load” and other garbage where he tunes a nock... then an insert... then a test kit.... that’s in a completely different area to get the arrow flying “not wonky” at whatever distance the wizard mike told him is garbage. He is tuning an arrow..... cause he can’t tune a bow ( he admits it) and that don’t work. He is slowing arrows down to the point ... they can’t plane, lol

Tune to an individual is garbage. There is a small... very small grey line there. But most fall out of. It’s a form issue. Don’t make em bad people, but it is what it is

Hate to derail this thread so mods delete if needed. He probably has good intentions.... but has let his channel growth get i. Front of his intent... to be more lethal. In the modern compound world,
                        With MOST able bodied adults... middle of the road is plenty. Below the line... tuning trumps BS.

Apologies to the op

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          338 lapua is far more deadly squirrel weapon than a .22 Mag

RF is echoing someone else’s studies.... which have merit is some cases. His “hand load” and other garbage where he tunes a nock... then an insert... then a test kit.... that’s in a completely different area to get the arrow flying “not wonky” at whatever distance the wizard mike told him is garbage. He is tuning an arrow..... cause he can’t tune a bow ( he admits it) and that don’t work. He is slowing arrows down to the point ... they can’t plane, lol

Tune to an individual is garbage. There is a small... very small grey line there. But most fall out of. It’s a form issue. Don’t make em bad people, but it is what it is

Hate to derail this thread so mods delete if needed. He probably has good intentions.... but has let his channel growth get i. Front of his intent... to be more lethal. In the modern compound world,

With MOST able bodied adults... middle of the road is plenty. Below the line... tuning trumps BS.

Apologies to the op
                          He says several times, in several videos, to take your bow to a shop and get it in tune. The part about him not being able to tune a bow is when he is talking about fixing cable twist and cam lean, because he doesnt have a press, like 95% of all bow hunters. He talks about getting perfect arrow flight with a perfectly tuned bow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

400gr and 285fps , simple muzzy tracor tip 3 blade 100 grain.
                            I bought too many so have to use em up before I buy anything else

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                              He says several times, in several videos, to take your bow to a shop and get it in tune. The part about him not being able to tune a bow is when he is talking about fixing cable twist and cam lean, because he doesnt have a press, like 95% of all bow hunters. He talks about getting perfect arrow flight with a perfectly tuned bow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                              Perfect flight. Precision this. Micro that

...... then pimp a sight that isn’t even capable of precision.

He no doubt has some stuff that can be useful in situation, but why people are following him like the messiah, I don’t know. Successful bow hunting has been achieved by both sides of the fence.

Comment

Pigs are a tough Sum Betch...

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post

Dr Ashby’s data became worthless to me when I found out he had to switch to a low poundage Trad bow because he was getting too many pass throughs with a compound to gather the data he wanted. I don’t give a **** what the best penetrating arrow is out of a low poundage recurve.

Just look at the guys who kill **** all over the world. Levi Morgan, Pedro ampuerto, Joel maxfeild, doc May on here, Justin shafer, Tim Metcalf. They all shoot a arrow between 390-510 grains. Guess multiple super slammers aren’t adult enough for you. And RF for sure has more Bowhunting knowledge than them [emoji23]

Last edited by JTeLarkin08; 10-06-2020, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X