No announcement yet.

Pigs are a tough Sum Betch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had it happen to me on a big ol nasty boar. Shot him at 15 yards and he ran off with the arrow in him and when I found the arrow it broke off maybe 2". I'm guessing I hit shoulder blade and the broadhead broke in the shoulder. Never saw the pig again and didn't find him dead. He took the arrow like a champ, never even squealed.

Comment

Don’t shoot mechanical broad head at heavy body animals

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
        That arrow is too light for mechanical broadheads (especially for thick skinned porkers). End of story.
        Yep

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

looks like it didnt penetrate enough to get anything vital. and looked forward of the vitals if that is the fletching i see in this screen shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	24632996

Comment

I love how we have a thread with picture evidence and someone even posted a RF video! Yet, all of the "its all shot placement and arrow weight/FOC doesn't matter" guys are nowhere to be found...funny how that happens!

Comment

I’ve never had a problem with a real broadhead punching right through the shoulder plate into the good stuff on big boars. I always shoot them right through the shield.

I’ve had so many funky-dunk outcomes with mechanicals even on well placed shots that I will not use them.

Comment

I’ve never trusted mechanical heads. I’ve seen way too many fail compared to a properly sharpened cut on impact head.

Comment

Looks like you just didn't get good penetration and it looks like it might have caught the shoulder. I increased my arrow weight this year because of this. A heavy arrow can push through bone/shoulder easier and might catch a vital. I've hit both dear and hogs and didn't get good penetration. I'm hoping my heavier arrows will be more lethal.

Comment

I think the lesson here is pigs are some tough critters, Going to switch up the broadheads, sounds like nobody is a fan of the mechanicals. I have a pack of the G5 Montecs I'm going to try out and see if I have some better luck.

Comment

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by ACbob View Post
                      I dream of the day when just one pig comes out at my feeder.
                      Careful for what you wish for.....pigs have overrun our place and not seeing near as many deer.

Yup and Yup. We went from deer and some pigs to one buck pic and rest pigs out of 5000 pictures. It's depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
                        I think the lesson here is pigs are some tough critters, Going to switch up the broadheads, sounds like nobody is a fan of the mechanicals. I have a pack of the G5 Montecs I'm going to try out and see if I have some better luck.
                        Mechanicals are fine as long as you got a heavy arrow behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
                          I've had great success with 1 3/8 Grim reaper mechanicals on hogs. I've killed at least 10 with them. I have pictures of the entry exit wounds if you are interested in switching broadheads, but want to stay with mechanicals.

Comment

I don't think it was a broadhead failure. I'd bet my last dollar that pig jumped the string and moved much faster than anticipated resulting in a bad shot. The meat on the arrow is either brisket or top of back or even empty space above the stomach.

Comment

Yes they are tough.
                              I bought some of the Rage Extreme that were on sale on Midway a while back. Shot a pig this weekend at 18 yards. Hit a little high and only got about 8-10 of penetration based on the arrow. Tracked solid blood for 200 yards, when it crossed into the neighbors property.

Keep shooting!!

Comment

Don't feel bad I shot 3 this weekend and did not find any of them. Two fix broadheads and one mechanical. Although two made the property line.

Comment

Working...
                                X