Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Diesel to gas- will I hate it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
    Well I got a deal I couldn’t refuse and just picked up the 6.2 gas. So far I love it, very quiet and smooth. Will report back in a few days
    Congratulations, keep us in the loop

Comment

Originally posted by KBM View Post
      How many diesel guys are having or have had emission or fuel issues? You don’t just don’t see that with gassers, there’s a reason most company vehicles are 3/4 ton gassers. OP for what your gonna be using the truck for I would go with a gasser, just my opinion.
      Shhhhh. Dont make sense out if a weenie measure

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
      I love these threads. I think 90% of the people who own diesel pick ups could easily get by with a gas. I think unless you’re pulling a trailer five days a week you’ll be happy with a gasoline motor. I drove three-quarter ton diesel for a long time. I am now and a half ton gas and it pulls the same stuff, maybe not as fast but it does the job.
      And again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
        Congrats.

I run a 17' F250 6.2L in crew/4x4/standard bed. I have no issues with the trucks ability to pull and handle a load. My fuel mileage is very poor and I am curious what you'll get. Also curious about how guys above get better mileage... Empty I run about 11.5, pulling a 24' bay boat with t-top I get 7.5-8. Other than that, truck is great.
        Same when I had a Chevy 6.0. When I made a trip west with my truck camper into a 20 mph head wind I got 4.5. I had to fill up every 100 miles...

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
          Congrats.

I run a 17' F250 6.2L in crew/4x4/standard bed. I have no issues with the trucks ability to pull and handle a load. My fuel mileage is very poor and I am curious what you'll get. Also curious about how guys above get better mileage... Empty I run about 11.5, pulling a 24' bay boat with t-top I get 7.5-8. Other than that, truck is great.

exactly the same scenario as my 2016 6.2 4x4 crew. love the truck but the mileage sucks. i have heard good things about the ecoboosts f150's but i just really like the size and look of my f250. but the interior of the 2020 F150 i was in was actually a little bigger than my 2016 f250 interior.

I too am interested in a fuel mileage improvement. i do not pull often so i can live with that, but i woul sure like to get above 11mpg average.

WEH

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
            exactly the same scenario as my 2016 6.2 4x4 crew. love the truck but the mileage sucks. i have heard good things about the ecoboosts f150's but i just really like the size and look of my f250. but the interior of the 2020 F150 i was in was actually a little bigger than my 2016 f250 interior.

I too am interested in a fuel mileage improvement. i do not pull often so i can live with that, but i woul sure like to get above 11mpg average.

WEH
            I switched to diesel when I was weekly pulling a 25 foot top hat flat bed and a 25 ft glacier bay power cat and getting 6.5 mpg
            And 10-12 empty with a Chevy 3/4 6.0
            The older Duramaxs with zero emissions Were super, had two back to back then in 2008 bought a F350 6,4 and government emissions standards had corrupted a diesel making them expensive to run and maintenance So back to gas in 2014 and 14-16 mpg same as my 350 6.4
            Two things I miss on occasion are jake brakes and having 1 ton payload , I sold the 25 glacier bay because federal fishing regulations so don’t really need a diesel Now that may change if I buy a new skid steer or track hoe

Comment

I left diesel pickups for a 6.2 gas truck over 9 years ago and have absolutely no regrets. I’ve got a 2011 F250 (178,000 miles) and a 2011 F350 (148,000 miles), and I’ve had no problems with either. I pull trailers every day (including my 13,000 lb skid steer) with both trucks, and they do great.
              I love my 6.2’s, but if I were trading trucks today, I’d be taking a really hard look at a truck with the new 7.3 gas motor.

Comment

Been driving all over and really liking this 6.2 gas

Comment

Congrats on the nice rig! I believe you will enjoy it more as you drive it. I know I did when I got my 1st gas engine after driving a diesel for alot of years.

Comment

Dang good looking rig!

Comment

I have a '13 F-250 with 6.2 gas and tow lighter loads with no issues BUT if I was going to pull more often and just a little heavier loads I think I would opt for the diesel engine. My towing is less than 100 mi. usually at 10/12 mpg if I'm lucky. JMHO.

Comment

I went with 6.2 in 2013 and loved the truck. It took me some time to get use to the hi revs but once I accepted that, it was a good truck. Hands down, the best thing I did was have it tuned by a local tuner. It really woke the truck up and it pulled good, no more hunting gears like it did when stock. Now dont get me wrong, I still had to lock out gears when pulling heavy or trailers that caught a lot of wind. I got the diesel urge in 18 and traded it in. I was not happy at all. This whole DEF thing has ruined them and I am not one to delete. I guess if DEF was all i knew it would not be a big deal but I have driven diesels starting in the mid 80's when the 6.9 first came out. I am back in a gas truck and keeping an eye on the 7.3 motor. I know when I had the 6.2 the only thing I wished I had held out for was 4:30 gears instead of the 3:73's. I have about 5 yrs before I can buy another one. We have a 02 GMC at work with the 6.0 in it and 150k miles. This truck was a dog, I have had Ford 300 six's that pulled better. We put a new cam, heads, long tube headers, hi flow cats, flowmaster and a tune in it. It pulls like freight train now, I mean its a completely different animal now. It aint no 1000lb torque like the new diesels but I can put a stack of Goosenecks on it and pull 75-80-or faster if I want.

Comment

She’s a beauty!

Comment

Well I got a deal I couldn’t refuse and just picked up the 6.2 gas. So far I love it, very quiet and smooth. Will report back in a few days

Congratulations on the truck. I am close again to selling my 2007.5 GMC crew cab diesel dually for a new for 250/350 gas. I am really struggling between the 6.2 and 7.3. What was the deciding factor for you and Choosing the 6.2? Is it the 10 speed or 6 speed trans?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 9452772 View Post
                              Congratulations on the truck. I am close again to selling my 2007.5 GMC crew cab diesel dually for a new for 250/350 gas. I am really struggling between the 6.2 and 7.3. What was the deciding factor for you and Choosing the 6.2? Is it the 10 speed or 6 speed trans?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly price was deciding factor, I just can’t stomach a $70k truck and that’s what a lariat diesel was running. It’s a 6 speed. I almost bought a 7.3 gas and would have but it sold before I could put $ down. 7.3 was $4k more than 6.2

Comment

Good for you, you're going to love that truck! White is the best color out there right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X