how disappointed will i be??? diesel to gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
    You will hate it I went from Diesel to gas 2 years ago and I'm about to go back. I have been through 2 transmissions (thank god for ext. warranty) but I tow a heck of a lot more weight than you.
    For heavy duty haul I really do miss having a exhaust and jake brake in a diesel
    But I hear the newer fords have terrible exhaust brake but loads of power/torque . And are super super thirsty on DEF
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-28-2020, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Chevy gas to Dodge diesel
      I have always had good luck with dodge and they pull like crazy
      Dodge doesn't have trucks anymore. They are all Rams.. Also, technically, Dodge hasn't ever made a diesel to put in their trucks. People buy Rams for the CUMMINS... lol
      Last edited by BuckSmasher; 07-28-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

2020 F350 C/C FX4 with the new 7.3 gas, 3.73 gearing and the new 10 speed. Will haul butt, will pull what you want, smooth shifting, gas mileage is so-so!
        I came out of 2 diesels 95 7.3 and the dreaded 2006 6.0 money burner to a 5.0 F150 Supercrew. Bought the 2020 F350 for the long bed. could not haul anything in the bed of that F150 and honestly, the mileage is better towing stuff in the F350 than the F150 is.

Comment

cummins

Chevy gas to Dodge diesel
          I have always had good luck with dodge and they pull like crazy
          ^^^^
          they do.. I bought a new 2001 dodge 6sd high output cummins 2500 long bed 4x4.. 190k miles later, negating oil changes/tires/batt, I only had a brake line leak.. it was a great truck. about every mile pulling a 22' bay boat

of course the paint clear coat peeled off at 50k miles and the dash cracked at 60k!!

I have never been one to buy something underpowered, but I hear so many bad things about the new diesels/injectors/def......

how are the 6.4 hemi's?

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
            But I hear the newer fords have terrible exhaust brake but loads of power/torque . And are super super thirsty on DEF
            My ‘19 f350s exhaust brake was a work horse through the Colorado/Wyoming mountains last summer hauling our 16k+ fifth wheel up to Yellowstone. No complaints at all and had 0 overheating issues. And the def ain’t too bad.. we have a tote up at the office I use to put a couple gallons in the truck every couple thousand miles.

Comment

Yep a diesel is over gunned in a 3/4 ton or vise versa Chassis is under for a oil burner
              Diesel = 1 ton for the money
              The chassis is the same for a 250 and 350 or 2500 and 3500 in the single rear wheel variant. A SRW 350 comes standard with a larger rear end, but the 250 can optioned with it. A single rear wheel 3500 RAM has Aisin transmission vs the 68RFE in the 2500. Otherwise your main difference is an overload spring and a door sticker. I assure you the 2500/250 trucks are very well matched to their motors capabilities, but the LEGAL ratings do not represent that. That’s purely for sticker purposes.

Comment

For heavy duty haul I really do miss having a exhaust and jake brake in a diesel
                The exhaust brakes on the new Super Duty work well, but the newer RAMs kill it. It’s not that it doesn’t work well, it’s that it’s just outclassed by the newer trucks. I can run 7-8% grades without ever touching the brakes with 15k+ behind me unless it’s to slow down severely. No touching it to maintain or slow down gradually. Compared to trucks of 5 years ago it’s still a solid performer. The RAM will bring the truck to a stop, but IMO it’s too effective for most of my needs. The Duramax is right there in the middle, and IMO the better combination of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  The exhaust brakes on the new Super Duty work well, but the newer RAMs kill it. It’s not that it doesn’t work well, it’s that it’s just outclassed by the newer trucks. I can run 7-8% grades without ever touching the brakes with 15k+ behind me unless it’s to slow down severely. No touching it to maintain or slow down gradually. Compared to trucks of 5 years ago it’s still a solid performer. The RAM will bring the truck to a stop, but IMO it’s too effective for most of my needs. The Duramax is right there in the middle, and IMO the better combination of the two.

The Ram has 2 settings for the EB; auto and full.

On this year’s Super Ike Gauntlet the Ram was the only truck that had zero brake applications with 30k+# behind it and it held 35mph or less all the way down without touching the service brakes.

If it were set in auto it probably would have performed similar to the Chevy and Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Following along as my 08 Duramax is pushing 275000 with 0 issues. I know it's only a matter of time. Getting the new truck bug but can't decide what I want.

Comment

Had a gasser Chevy, thought it was ok until I drove a diesel. It was gutless and was always kicking in and out of passing gear going up even small grades. Kept it 3 months and traded it for a Ram/Cummins, 292,000 miles and it still runs great. Just bought a 2019 Ram Laramie. I will never own a gasser again.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        Yeah just saying I miss the EB of a diesel,
                        Still haven’t heard anyone on here talk about 2020 Ford 6.7 burning/ chugging lots of DEF over past models or other brands
                        See other forums talking about it

Comment

I kept my 06 Cummins and bought 1/2 ton fx4. I’ll say I enjoy driving the ford more. I’ve never had a hitch on it though. I use diesel for hauling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah just saying I miss the EB of a diesel,
                            Still haven’t heard anyone on here talk about 2020 Ford 6.7 burning/ chugging lots of DEF over past models or other brands
                            See other forums talking about it
                            I've only had mine a month but I've got 1090 miles on it as of this morning and still have over 1/2 tank of def. 500 of those miles was pulling a 6k boat.

So I haven't noticed it being any different yet.

Comment

Towing a bunch = Diesel. If not gas..

Comment

I made the switch in 08. I'm still driving my 08 f250 V10. I have been very happy with it.
                                I put in a custom tune from 5 star and that was one of the best decisions I ever made. It's a beast. I have driven the 6.2 and they are not near as strong, but they get better mpgs.
                                From what I know I would have to go with the 7.3. I will never buy another diesel unless they get rid of def and start selling them a lot cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                                X