No announcement yet.

how disappointed will i be??? diesel to gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just don't compare to the diesel and pulling, because they don't. It will struggle, and MPGs will be terrible towing, but you aren't hurting it. If you accept what it is you will be fine, if you expect a good towing vehicle you won't. The fuel cost between the two will be the same, maybe a little higher on the gas. If you go synthetic oils, your maintenance will be about the same. Upfront cost(you get most back when you sell) and repairs are the big differences.

Comment

Biggest trade off is maintenance...it's easier on the wallet on oil changes and fuel, IF you don't tow constantly..I had an f250 diesel, traded in on an F150 5.0L...love it, and when I do occasionally pull a bay boat, it does it with ease...I'm sure I can load a little tractor on a flatbed and do the same..I just don't pull hardly ever...

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
        So, let me ask the OP this question. Realistically, how often, or what percentage of the time are you pulling your bay boat versus running empty? I have a 6.2 gas in my 2017 F350 and it will pull just fine, just not like a diesel will.

I pull my ATV trailer mostly but also haul my slide in truck camper. Would a diesel do it better? Well, yea, but define better? When I am towing, I don't have to be the first one to get there.

I love the peace of mind and reliability of a gas engine. If I were you I would look at the new 7.3 gas engine with the 10 speed transmission that Ford is now putting in their Super Duty truck.

Just my two cents but most of the guys I know driving diesels don't "need" a diesel, its just what they want to drive and that's okay.
        I have the 10 Speed in my new F-350, it's a game changer for sure. I didn't look at the gassers because we pull our 5th wheel regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
          23 years in diesel trucks(cummins and 6.6 duramax) tow bay boat weekly, up n down the coast. tow a 41 hp subcompact tract/shredder a couple times a year(240mi round trip) how disappointed will I be going to 2500 6.0 gas or 250 6.2 gas??
          Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          You won't miss the diesel, but you will miss the turbo.

Naturally aspirated gas and diesel engines are pretty gutless. So if you go to gas, I'd go half ton Ford 4 door with the 6.5' bed, and turbo 6.
          I'd say this is the way I'd go with what you tow. A compact 40 horse tractor and a bay boat isn't much. I tow my 56hp John Deere tractor to Missouri several times a year and on I-44 I have to pay attention not to exceed 80mph because of the trailer tires. I lock out second overdrive, keep it in fifth (6r80 not 10r80) and it just goes. We towed the Rockwood 2608ws to Maine and back last summer, planning on leaving soon for Idaho.

That being said, we would like to step up to a big fifth wheel from our travel trailer and my next truck will likely be a super/heavy duty diesel unless gas HD/SD trucks are super competitive in torque and hp in the next few years. They are getting closer.

Summary: Unloaded you will be happier with a half ton gas, and with what you tow hd/sd isn't necessary or even preferable, loaded heavy nothing beats a diesel, most people are disapointed in gas heavy duty trucks that kinda bridge the gap between a half ton and a diesel. If you go SD/HD I think diesel is still way to go.

Comment

I missed the mark on the OP. If you're gonna have a 3/4 ton truck regardless, i'd go diesel for sure.
            Last edited by Fmjag64; 07-28-2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I personally think a 7.3 or 6.6 gas would be better for most folks in the long run. Most dont tow at all or tow heavy regularly.

I know thats what ill look to when my duramax finally goes tits up. For towing on flat ground the gas would do fine. You start towing in mountains and at elevation the diesel cant be touched. The gas is better for brutally cold weather though, has no emissions system that causes problems and cheaper maint.

If it wasnt for all the epa crap we wouldnt even be having these conversations, thats whats sad.

Comment

I think you would be happier with a 1/2 ton in the ecoboost or the GM 6.2 and know your limitations when towing.

Comment

My 2013 f150 ecoboost handles similar loads that your pulling and it's not screaming either. I wouldn't buy a newer 3/4 ton diesel, just because it eats up the payload with the heavier engine. Also, a 3/4 ton truck can't match the potential that the diesel engine brings. If you need a new diesel then you need a 1 ton. If you want a diesel then a 3/4 ton would work.

Comment

If you tow, which obviously you do, you will always regret going diesel to gas. Done it more than once. Nothing tows like a diesel.

My Tundra “will do it”, same with the 2500 6.0 Gas GMC I had, but night and day to a diesel.

When my Tundra pays off, I will be back in a diesel to stay.

Comment

Haven’t had it long, but been happy with my F-250 7.3L gas when towing 6k lbs. My payload is nearly 3k lbs which should allow us to upgrade to a 5th wheel within the next 1-2 years. The 6.7 is NICE, but couldn’t justify the $8k+ difference in price for my needs. Did the calculations based on MPG difference alone, it would take me over 300k miles to break even.

I think if you regularly tow over 12k lbs the diesel makes more sense. If you go with the F-250 and the 6.7L your payload will be around 2300lbs without the heavy duty payload package, with HDPP you’ll be around 2800. That diesel is HEAVY! In My opinion, if you want the diesel go with the F-350 that’s got around 3300lbs of payload.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        You won't miss the diesel, but you will miss the turbo.

Naturally aspirated gas and diesel engines are pretty gutless. So if you go to gas, I'd go half ton Ford 4 door with the 6.5' bed, and turbo 6.

This..

Went from a 6.7 Ford 1 ton to a 3.5L eco boost 1/2ton

Have had zero regrets. I pull a boat about every other week, a 26’ camper, and our skid steer with attachments.

I’ve loved every moment, easy to drive, quiet and efficient. Has way more power and capacity than people give a half ton credit for. A good set of airbags and you can pull more than the average joe has ever seen on a trailer.

The only way I’m going back to a diesel is if I start needing to pull a living quarter Horse trailer or hauling lot of equipment for the Oil company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
                          My 2013 f150 ecoboost handles similar loads that your pulling and it's not screaming either. I wouldn't buy a newer 3/4 ton diesel, just because it eats up the payload with the heavier engine. Also, a 3/4 ton truck can't match the potential that the diesel engine brings. If you need a new diesel then you need a 1 ton. If you want a diesel then a 3/4 ton would work.
                          Yep a diesel is over gunned in a 3/4 ton or vise versa Chassis is under for a oil burner
                          Diesel = 1 ton for the money

Comment

You will hate it I went from Diesel to gas 2 years ago and I'm about to go back. I have been through 2 transmissions (thank god for ext. warranty) but I tow a heck of a lot more weight than you.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                              You will hate it I went from Diesel to gas 2 years ago and I'm about to go back. I have been through 2 transmissions (thank god for ext. warranty) but I tow a heck of a lot more weight than you.
                              FWIW diesels are generally harder on transmissions than gas engines. Ford and Chevy both use the same transmissions, what are you switching to/from?

Comment

Chevy gas to Dodge diesel
                                I have always had good luck with dodge and they pull like crazy

Comment

Working...
                                X