how disappointed will i be??? diesel to gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
    thanks...keep em coming.. my 07' classic duramax only has 146k.. but the rest of the truck is still 13 yrs old. . it' been a GREAT truck, but time to move on( i may buy a new truck and keep it!)
    I have an 05 and the prices of new ones keep me in mine!

Comment

I have done it twice. First time I kept the gasser 2 months. Next time I kept it 6 months.

Don’t do it haha

Comment

I drove diesel for a long time,then tried a gas hemi. I won't lie ,at 1st I missed the diesel, but within a month I was glad to be out of the diesel. That was about 10 years ago. Haven't missed the diesel one bit.

Comment

Keep the 07 and get a nice 1/2 ton daily

Comment

Originally posted by JDL View Post
            I have done it twice. First time I kept the gasser 2 months. Next time I kept it 6 months.

Don’t do it haha
            Been there, but I learned it the first time [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

When it was time for a new truck I traded the diesel for a gas 1/2 ton. That was 9 years ago and I haven’t had any regrets at all. I pull a bay boat and a 50hp tractor occasionally. Most diesel drivers don’t even own a trailer. Haha

Comment

You'll miss the pull of that turbo....and diesel is $1.70 at the pump.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve said I was going to do this on the last three I’ve bought and always end up back in a diesel. Just can’t make myself do it.

Comment

you will be disappointed to some extent for sure, but it will work. It is a better financial decision. Just depends on what is more important to you

Comment

So, let me ask the OP this question. Realistically, how often, or what percentage of the time are you pulling your bay boat versus running empty? I have a 6.2 gas in my 2017 F350 and it will pull just fine, just not like a diesel will.

I pull my ATV trailer mostly but also haul my slide in truck camper. Would a diesel do it better? Well, yea, but define better? When I am towing, I don't have to be the first one to get there.

I love the peace of mind and reliability of a gas engine. If I were you I would look at the new 7.3 gas engine with the 10 speed transmission that Ford is now putting in their Super Duty truck.

Just my two cents but most of the guys I know driving diesels don't "need" a diesel, its just what they want to drive and that's okay.

Comment

how disappointed will i be??? diesel to gas

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
                        thanks...keep em coming.. my 07' classic duramax only has 146k.. but the rest of the truck is still 13 yrs old. . it' been a GREAT truck, but time to move on( i may buy a new truck and keep it!)

If you are used to an ‘07 Duramax you will be shocked at how much more powerful the new diesel/transmission combos are today.

Will a gasser pull the loads you described? Yes, will you be as happy as if you had a diesel? IMO not a chance. It’s truly a pleasure to pull most anything any of us will pull regularly with the newer diesels. A gasser, not so much. Totally different power delivery.

I’m still trying to figure out this extra maintenance cost that people talk about in diesels. I get my oil changed at the dealership for under $70. The fuel filters are more cost and changed more often but like every 15k miles. Hardly even worth discussing. My truck doesn’t use DEF but that cost is relatively low from my experience driving DEF trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Last edited by Mike D; 07-28-2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I went from an 2004 chevy 3500 diesel to a 2020 F250 7.3, for me there wasn't much difference. Now if I was still hauling hay, cattle, and horses all the time I would have had to get the 4:30 gears in the F250. For you the 7.3 with the 4:30 gear would probably do great. Just my 0.2

Comment

You won't miss the diesel, but you will miss the turbo.

Naturally aspirated gas and diesel engines are pretty gutless. So if you go to gas, I'd go half ton Ford 4 door with the 6.5' bed, and turbo 6.

Comment

I loved my diesel trucks, but switched to gas when repairs were eating my lunch on simple repairs, IMO post 2005 diesel is just to fragile trying to meet fuel and emissions and to maintain a diesel is costly,
                              That being said if I still hauled cattle, combine, tractor, hay weekly or had a rv ,I would still be driving a diesel
                              I am fine hauling my trailer and boat ( 25 ft cc) with gas 3/4 ton

Comment

I contemplated this about a year ago. I had an ‘06 Cummins and was contemplating going back to gas. I was shocked at the power of the new diesels over what I was used to. I hauled an extended cab z71 500 miles to the lease last weekend and it was nice to not really be able to feel the load. Also, not having to worry about overworking the engine/tranny on those long hauls, especially in the hills.

Comment

Working...
                                X