Stock Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
    Energy ripping higher. Portfolio doing well, despite metals and miners lagging.
    My Mining company (MP) is killing it today. Up 13%.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
      My Mining company (MP) is killing it today. Up 13%.
      Oh, I have some MP as well (got into FVAC at $12 prior to merger). I was referring to gold and silver miners.

Comment

Glad gold found some buyers this afternoon. Hopefully it rallies more tomorrow. I’m overweight gold miners and would like to get back to break even, trim my positions some, and diversify more into corn, wheat, soybeans, and maybe have a little cash on hand for some speculative plays or add to core positions on any weakness. The volatility the gold and silver miners trade with isn’t for the faint of heart. Bullish on metals over the long term, but too much exposure I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
          Oh, I have some MP as well (got into FVAC at $12 prior to merger). I was referring to gold and silver miners.
          Gotcha. That's about the time I got in. I have made a lot of money off of SPACs.

Comment

The rising tide floats all boats...

I'm moving away from individual stocks and focusing on low-fee ETFs to get into sectors. Read about "Modern Portfolio Theory" re: systemic vs. non-systemic risk and it will likely sour you on individual stocks.

Comment

What are the best SPACs right now?

I'm in a lot of them.. The ones with no deals or potential deals. Just parked money there.

GSAH looking great today.

Comment

I own 28 different stocks/etf’s across three accounts and didn’t have a single one that was down. Today was the best I’ve ever had. Absolutely ridiculous. I’ll take it on the chin tomorrow I’m sure as I had three names up double digit percentages.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post

I'm moving away from individual stocks and focusing on low-fee ETFs to get into sectors. Read about "Modern Portfolio Theory" re: systemic vs. non-systemic risk and it will likely sour you on individual stocks.
                  My buddy is a younger financial guy up and coming. And he swears by ETF's with his life lol. Says its a no brainer with lower fee's

I have play around money in stocks but also havent yet switched my mutual funds to ETF's

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post

I get what you are saying but I see plenty of stocks that are kinda of meandering around. I own a few.

I'll definitely read up on your suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

I'm in a lot of them.. The ones with no deals or potential deals. Just parked money there.

All the ones I was in last year have already gone through. I have not followed since those. They were getting pretty crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

PSTH was one I was really interested in but I haven’t got in it yet. Dang thing is up 40% from original price with no deal or even prospects. Tons of people just believe Bill Ackman will deliver a unicorn there.

Comment

PLUG, FCEL and SPCE making me some money!

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            My buddy is a younger financial guy up and coming. And he swears by ETF's with his life lol. Says its a no brainer with lower fee's

I have play around money in stocks but also havent yet switched my mutual funds to ETF's
                            There's a cool website called portfolio visualizer that will let you backtest investment portfolios against any index you would care to. Obviously history doesn't guarantee a given future but it does give you an idea of how your current or planned portfolio might react to historical markets such as 2000 and 2008 (as well as spring 2020).

The robo-advisors are basically doing this on steroids. They use powerful computers to model using a broad mix of domestic and international equities and commodities to try to find the most return for the least risk. (see Sharpe Ratio) I'm not aware of any sites that will let you do this level of analysis for free so anyone that does, please feel free to post it!

When I was young, I tried to pick stocks. I never beat the overall market over time and the VAST majority of people can't, either. As I got older, and arguably wiser, I've learned that you can't time the market, don't listen to stock picks from your friends, and once you read about it on a website, it's already too late. Instead, diversify and let the 8th wonder of the world, compounding, be your friend.

Comment

I tend to think a lot of stocks that don’t actually turn a profit are going to get slaughtered at some point this year. Valuations are absolutely ridiculous in tech and startups. Feels like 1999 and 2007. If I had a margin account, I’d look at some of the worst business model stocks in trendy industries and look to short them. Everyone is chasing momentum and one big selling event is going to trigger a race to unload.
                              Last edited by TwoHighways; 01-12-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

TwoHwy i agree with you. I may play with a little Vegas money but my investments will stay in Index or ETF

Comment

Working...
                                X