Menard 2020-2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
    Got a report from a friend's ranch west of Menard...Rancher's wife reported that she could see 42 dead axis from the house. Their ranch manager had already hauled over 80 carcasses away from the houses and barns. I am sure that very few of the blackbuck are alive as they are usually the first to go.
    Adios,
    Gary
    Oh No!!!!!! Man this is just horrible... Prayers for all the folks enduring this extreme weather event..

Comment

Terrible news on those Exotics any updates on the South East side of the county? Around FM 1773 area? Just bought a small piece of property there with my dad but haven’t been since December

Comment

That ain’t no good. Hard to believe they are that fragile. Why is that?

Comment

I am sure that the SE part of the county is about like everything else around here. It is all cold and covered in ice and snow. Was 14 this morning but was up to 30 about 11:15 AM. Should really thaw out this afternoon as the sun is shining bright. I hope to see 50 this afternoon. We are about to find out how good we are at plumbing as busted pipes should begin to show up this afternoon.
          I already shattered a float on a trough while trying to break the ice for cattle...just the beginning I am afraid.
          I am hauling alfalfa hay to the axis that I have on a little place on the river. They love it and it seems to have reduced my death loss.
          Adios,
          Gary

Comment

Any reports of dead whitetail being found?

Comment

Not many dead whitetails but I have seen quite a few that are in really poor condition. I saw photos from the ranch that is loosing all the axis and blackbuck and was told that they had hauled over 150 carcasses to one pit. They had a photo of the bed of a pickup lined with heads from nothing but mature blackbucks. This is not a small ranch where animals are overly stocked, 10,000 acres under high fence.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

I was visiting with the rancher who owns the above mentioned 10,000 acre ranch at church this morning. He is estimating at least 400 dead axis and not sure on the blackbuck. An outfitter has been hunting the exotics on the ranch for a few years and I am sure that he is very concerned about the death loss.
                Good news is, I am still seeing a lot of healthy looking axis west of Menard along the highway and river. I began hauling alfalfa hay to my little place on the river in an attempt to give the axis a boost. Seems to have helped. Hogs are taking advantage of the carcasses...
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

Great reports, Gary. Prayers for those who have suffered through this incredible event. Shocking to see the numbers of exotics that are dead due to the cold. Going up next weekend with plenty of protein and corn and to survey any damage. I am sure I will be putting my chainsaw through the motions with all of the trees down from the previous ice storm.

Comment

we're looking at a lease just south of Menard near the Texas A&M property off 2291. Can anyone fill me on what to expect?? What if any exotics in this area. We'd be about 12 miles S-S/W from town by the way a crow flies. Any input and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Super Stroked View Post
                      we're looking at a lease just south of Menard near the Texas A&M property off 2291. Can anyone fill me on what to expect?? What if any exotics in this area. We'd be about 12 miles S-S/W from town by the way a crow flies. Any input and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
                      Not many exotics there...now. There are a few axis south of there and a lot of them a couple of miles north of there. PM me and I will tell you what I know about the ranch as I know most in the county.
                      Adios,
                      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                        Not many exotics there...now. There are a few axis south of there and a lot of them a couple of miles north of there. PM me and I will tell you what I know about the ranch as I know most in the county.
                        Adios,
                        Gary
                        sent

Comment

Well found out this morning that we are losing our lease on the Whitehead. If anyone has any openings I would appreciate a heads up. We are a good group and respect the property as if it were our own.

Comment

Donny and his wife good people! Good luck with lease hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tonyterry View Post
                              Donny and his wife good people! Good luck with lease hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Thanks Tony I appreciate it.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Good luck to you and your group.

Comment

Working...
                                X