Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Menard 2020-2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the updates Gary.

Comment

Thanks for always keeping us updated Gary! Was gonna try and come up next weekend to clean up a bunch of downed limbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Agreed, thanks Gary.

Comment

Thanks Donny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's 21 right now and roads re-froze last night. I am really worried about the next three days as they are calling for near zero Monday and Tuesday morning and now not getting above freezing until next Thursday. Most pipelines are not buried more than 6 inches in this country so "springs" will begin to flow along these lines when it does thaw out. We are breaking ice on water troughs and trying to keep the water flowing with success at this time but not so sure we can stay ahead when it drops to zero with a predicted high of 16 on Monday.
            Now they are calling for rain on Wednesday. Rain is the toughest thing for livestock and wildlife as it goes to the skin. Positive thing is I am not seeing any new downed limbs although there is some ice in the trees.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
              There is ice in trees and roads are frozen but not the volume of ice in the trees around Menard like last time. I heard from a buddy down at Telegraph that there's a lot of downed limbs there. I know that they received a lot more freezing rain the further south from Menard that you went. IH 10 was closed yesterday afternoon and continues to be closed from what I understand. Bad thing is it is not supposed to be above freezing until Tuesday with temps near 0 on Monday and Tuesday. Snow is predicted for Sunday.
              Adios,
              Gary
              Hoping we do not get the tree damage that we received in the first go round of winter storms. Also wondering if we will lose bucks to this one since this is the 3rd time we have had bad winter weather and like you said, it will be lasting almost a week. The good is that all of our hunters filled protein and corn upon leaving mid January. Looking to get back there in a week or so. Appreciate all of the reports Gary. You always provide great information.

Comment

You're welcome Gents! I went about 10 miles west of Menard to feed a few cows and break the ice on the water. About 8 miles west of town, more ice in trees and on the Hwy. 190 and county roads. It was lightly sprinkling so that I had to run my wipers off and on. Limbs were hanging low with the extra weight but I did not see any new broken ones...Yet.
                When I got back to Hwy. 190, I turned back to town and accelerated to get up to speed. When I did, I could feel the rear wheels loosing traction from the newly fallen moisture on the pavement. When I got back to town heard there was a wreck north of Menard and perhaps a fatality. DPS just followed a blue Dodge PU into the Napa next door.
                It had been in a wreck but still barely driveable; looks like it skidded on its driver's side. If you are thinking about coming out here, don't. If you are here, be careful.
                If you didn't have feed out before now, I suggest that you get some protein to the deer as soon as it is safe to get here which might be next weekend. There is so much ice on the vegetation that it is difficult for the deer to feed. Bucks that have endured the rut and now a tough winter need some help if we expect them to recover and grow antlers this spring.
                Just check the Winter Weather Advisory and they are saying 2-6 inches of snow from Midnight tonight until Monday noon with wind chill as low as 20 below zero. Dang, I hope I can find my fur lined jockey strap...
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

We put out 4 tons last weekend and 1 ton of corn, just in the nick of time. The livestock may break down our pens if it gets any worse out there.

Comment

Today is worse than yesterday. Light mist fell most of the night and roads have black ice on them in many places. Limbs are heavier and wind is beginning to blow stronger from the NE. The high a few hours ago was 21 and now 18, will be near 10 at midnight before dropping to near 0 by morning. A few snow flurries now with heavy snow to begin around 5 PM and continuing until near noon tomorrow.
                    Lots of wrecks and one fatality north of town. Since 83 has been closed south to Junction, drivers have been making the mistake of taking the Cleo Road which has more elevation changes as it follows Bear Creek for several miles. They are getting stranded in a remote area, so please don't attempt this.
                    Conditions are very serious on livestock and wildlife. I have reports of ranchers finding blackbucks that have already died and the worst is yet to come. Latest weather report does show us getting to 38 on Tuesday which would be great. Prays for all the folks that are out there in this dangerous weather.
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                      Today is worse than yesterday. Light mist fell most of the night and roads have black ice on them in many places. Limbs are heavier and wind is beginning to blow stronger from the NE. The high a few hours ago was 21 and now 18, will be near 10 at midnight before dropping to near 0 by morning. A few snow flurries now with heavy snow to begin around 5 PM and continuing until near noon tomorrow.
                      Lots of wrecks and one fatality north of town. Since 83 has been closed south to Junction, drivers have been making the mistake of taking the Cleo Road which has more elevation changes as it follows Bear Creek for several miles. They are getting stranded in a remote area, so please don't attempt this.
                      Conditions are very serious on livestock and wildlife. I have reports of ranchers finding blackbucks that have already died and the worst is yet to come. Latest weather report does show us getting to 38 on Tuesday which would be great. Prays for all the folks that are out there in this dangerous weather.
                      Adios,
                      Gary
                      Thank you for the update Gary. I have a place in SE Menard co. But don’t live there...yet.
                      Not sure how I’ve missed this thread before now.

Comment

I lied...snowflakes are already falling.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

San Saba River frozen all the way across for the last two days west of town. I posted it on my Facebook page. No power yesterday and got it back at 11:30 this morning.

Comment

River is still frozen and should be until at least Saturday. I am beginning to find dead axis on the hill around my house and along the river west of town. I found one of the deceased when I saw four young feral hogs eating something and went to investigate. Good to see that the axis was not totally wasted and the young swine are helping me with the clean up.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Got a report from a friend's ranch west of Menard...Rancher's wife reported that she could see 42 dead axis from the house. Their ranch manager had already hauled over 80 carcasses away from the houses and barns. I am sure that very few of the blackbuck are alive as they are usually the first to go.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

Thanks for the updates Gary. Hate to hear that about that for that rancher. We are hoping to get out to the lease but waiting for the go ahead from the ranch manager. Definitely worried about we will find.

Comment

Working...
                                X