What pellet grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
    So I'm new to pellet smoking/grilling and this will be my first one. What is the difference in the rec tec, pitts and spitts, and the traeger? I can get the traeger for way less than retail, but the others I can't. Trying to figure out if it's worth it to spend $300-400 more for just the grill to get something different than the traeger.

The traeger I was looking at is the Ironwood 650 and it retails for $1200. I can get it for about $350 off, plus other accessories for super cheap too.

From what I’ve seen and based my decision on:

* Much heavier materials. Not that a pellet grill body should ever burn out but the heavier metal helps hold heat and stabilize temps much better. The P&S is built just like a stick burner smoker with the heavy steel pipe body and very heavy stainless roll top lid. I only see 1° temp swings at most even during dead of winter.

* Better controllers to reduce temperature swings.

* Higher cooking temps. More versatile for high temp searing and cooking things like pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
      https://www.asfsmokers.com/products/asf-pellet-grill

You get more for the $$$ with this one..
      Interesting!! Any experience with these units?

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
        So I'm new to pellet smoking/grilling and this will be my first one. What is the difference in the rec tec, pitts and spitts, and the traeger? I can get the traeger for way less than retail, but the others I can't. Trying to figure out if it's worth it to spend $300-400 more for just the grill to get something different than the traeger.

The traeger I was looking at is the Ironwood 650 and it retails for $1200. I can get it for about $350 off, plus other accessories for super cheap too.
        I looked hard at getting a Pitts. I just could justify the 6X price I could buy others for. I ended up with a GMG based on research. People will say that the Pitts would last 20 years or more. My simple equation said I could buy 5-6 GMG’s in that same amount of time, that would be a new one every 3-4 years.

I would do this again or would look hard at the Pitt Boss line because of the reviews I have read and more importantly, you can direct sear with it.
        Last edited by Greenheadless; 05-28-2020, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Arrow View Post
          Pittboss 1100 at lowes
          I have 2 of them and they work great
          I have this Pitboss Pro 1100 at the ranch and a Traeger at the house. The Pitboss Pro is a better pit and throws much more smoke than the Traeger.

Comment

A couple months of shopping has me ordering a Rec Tec 700 in the next few days.

Comment

What pellet grill?

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
              I like what i see on their website. Did you pay close to that retail price on their site and where did you buy yours. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Admittedly I didn’t do a lot of research to try and find a better price. I bought locally and it was delivered to my house and set in place since I bought the built in model.

We had originally planned a propane grill and a Kamado Big Joe. After researching more we consolidated to the pellet instead. Even with paying retail and buying several accessories we saved quite a bit of money over our original plan.

We bought it from Outdoor Grill Sales in Weatherford. I buy all of my pellets from there as well.

Comment

I've been eyeing the rec tec grills. Seem to get fantastic reviews on TBH and other sites. Let me know which way you go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Any killer deals on any right now? My treager pro22 is acting up. Had it for 4 years. Love the smoke it puts out but don’t like the lack of heat. It struggles to even hit 400.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Any killer deals on any right now? My treager pro22 is acting up. Had it for 4 years. Love the smoke it puts out but don’t like the lack of heat. It struggles to even hit 400.

Quit being cheap and step up to a good one. You’ll be much happier.

Comment

Originally posted by geauxgruene View Post
                      Grilla Silverbac
                      I've been looking at the Grillas. They appear to be pretty well built, and I like the option of PID or not. How long have you had yours? What do you like and dislike about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        I've been looking at the Grillas. They appear to be pretty well built, and I like the option of PID or not. How long have you had yours? What do you like and dislike about it?

Just out of curiosity do you want the PID controller or not? If not, why?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Quit being cheap and step up to a good one. You’ll be much happier.

Well yeah. But I want a deal haha

Comment

I have been nothing but happy with my Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Prime.

Love this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Just out of curiosity do you want the PID controller or not? If not, why?

Pros and cons either way, from what I can see. Consistent temp with PID would be good for some applications, while more smoke without it would be good at other times. I kinda like the idea of having both options in 1 unit.

Comment

Got my rec tec 590 and so far love it. Have done baby backs, chicken and sausage and all have been great and very easy. Waiting on father in law to come to town before doing a brisket. With research and reviews on here I decided it was the best value for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X