Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Callahan, Coleman, Jones, Fisher, Nolan, Runnels, Scurry, Shackelford...6th edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So me, my nine year old and a buddy hunted south of Albany from the 21st thru the 28th and deer movement was average at best. The daily highs were all over the place and no day's high was within ten degrees of the day before or after it all week. First time in 20 years out there where I couldn't tell what stage of the rut we were in. Though by end of week it was pretty clear we were in lockdown.

My kiddo did score on a mature 8 and whacked a few pigs, so he was elated. I saw a few mature deer though nothing that got my heart pumping. Our big boys didn't even show up on camera all week.

Hopefully Saturday's rain helps to get the wheat going a little bit so we have another option when out next time. Lastly seems to be a boom year for small mammals as I've never seen so many skunks and coyotes at our place, especially the skunks.
    Attached Files

Comment

Love this area! Drive through it every time heading to our place in panhandle - please Pm me if any possible leads on lease next season in these areas. Thank you in advance!

Comment

No kidding on the skunks! Must be peak rut b/c they were everywhere near Moran this wknd. I killed a nice 8 pt Friday afternoon. Got in the stand at 4:10. At 4:15, he stepped out.
        Coincidentally, according to my hunting journal, I shot my buck last year one day earlier at 4:15 in the same spot.
        My 5 year old was with me and now thinks every hunt should be 10 mins!

Comment

Hunted Coleman co thanksgiving weekend seen young bucks the best was a 17” 31/2 year old 8 we didn’t see any chasing until Saturday evening
          We didn’t take a deer

Comment

Well my lease mate got it done again, this time on a really old buck that has been on the decline but is still really impressive. 22.5" main beams pushed this deer to 138 7/8 and taxi said he was at least 7.5 years old...Sounds like it was a beautiful morning to be afield in Shackelford County.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
              No kidding on the skunks! Must be peak rut b/c they were everywhere near Moran this wknd.
              Skunk rut is in February. This past weekend was just full moon.

Comment

alright, time to breathe a little life back into this thread...making the long drive from Houston today to get back after it this weekend. cold temps and no moon should produce some solid daytime movement. also hopefully we will see some signs of early secondary rut. Good luck everyone, hope to see lots of ldps...

Comment

Originally posted by mr. buck View Post
                  Well my lease mate got it done again, this time on a really old buck that has been on the decline but is still really impressive. 22.5" main beams pushed this deer to 138 7/8 and taxi said he was at least 7.5 years old...Sounds like it was a beautiful morning to be afield in Shackelford County.
                  Great buck...congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by mr. buck View Post
                    So me, my nine year old and a buddy hunted south of Albany from the 21st thru the 28th and deer movement was average at best. The daily highs were all over the place and no day's high was within ten degrees of the day before or after it all week. First time in 20 years out there where I couldn't tell what stage of the rut we were in. Though by end of week it was pretty clear we were in lockdown.

My kiddo did score on a mature 8 and whacked a few pigs, so he was elated. I saw a few mature deer though nothing that got my heart pumping. Our big boys didn't even show up on camera all week.

Hopefully Saturday's rain helps to get the wheat going a little bit so we have another option when out next time. Lastly seems to be a boom year for small mammals as I've never seen so many skunks and coyotes at our place, especially the skunks.
                    That's what it's all about...great memories!

Comment

After a couple of years passing young bucks...I was finally able to take a mature deer last weekend.

This buck showed up on camera last week, and we quickly identified him as a shooter!

Had a great hunt, and also had the opportunity to see a good buddy thin out the hog herd!

Great thread this year, let’s keep this going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son hunted Coleman co this afternoon and seen a good many deer they are coming to the feeders I don’t know about the rut though we found several fresh rubs last weekend

Comment

Dad getting it done this evening on a nice 8 point!

This deer showed up this week, and he is a beauty!

Comment

Congrats to your Dad! Nice buck!

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
                              After a couple of years passing young bucks...I was finally able to take a mature deer last weekend.

This buck showed up on camera last week, and we quickly identified him as a shooter!

Had a great hunt, and also had the opportunity to see a good buddy thin out the hog herd!

Great thread this year, let’s keep this going!

Congrats, thats a hoss of a mature buck!

Comment

Well, finally got it done saturday afternoon on a buck we've been watching for a few years. Sorry for the poor quality pics as he was shot at last light and we backed out for about an hour before going in to recover him. I'd actually missed him in the AM hunt and got lucky and guessed right on where it would scare him off to...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X