No announcement yet.

Travel Trailer experts - show me the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a reason these Jaycos are so cheap.

A 26’ new trailer sub 15k. Should I run far far away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You better hope the trailer market don’t go the way of the freezer market....

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
        Is there a reason these Jaycos are so cheap.

A 26’ new trailer sub 15k. Should I run far far away?

That model doesn't have a slide out. I would avoid it, especially if you are planning on trying to get money back out of it on resale. Everybody wants a slide out in their camper.

Comment

If you are running it off of a generator you will want 1 ac on about a 30 ft trailer. One ac unit is a 30 amp plug. That is what every rv park and state park has. If you have two ac’s that will be a 50 amp plug and more limited on rv spots. Most rv parks have 50 amp spots but most state parks don’t but can still run one ac. I have a 32 foot bunk house with one ac so a 30 amp plug. During the summer it helps inside but isn’t cold it will be high 70’s but as soon as the sun starts going down it will cool off quick. I can run everything I need off of a 3500/4000 watt generator. I run a $300 champion generator from Cabelas. It is fairly quite at 68 decibels. I put it behind the trailer about 20 feet and with the ac running and me in the front I can’t hear it. Resale value Hahahaha you should be able to right them off on taxes. Be careful at dealerships prices vary wildly. Test everything water, windows, doors, make sure it has a ladder to the roof. If buying new make them fix it all before you sign. It will be fixed faster before you pay them then after. We love ours and the kids love it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
            That model doesn't have a slide out. I would avoid it, especially if you are planning on trying to get money back out of it on resale. Everybody wants a slide out in their camper.

Good info - thanks for the feedback.

After doing more research today, I’d like to find a 2016, 2017 or 2018 year model with a slide out.
            20’-28’, BH, and around $15000.
            Id rather go smaller for decent quality than bigger for the space.

The biggest question mark for me what brands to target and what to stay away from. Some of the brands suggested so far look cool.

Metal frame sounds better than the 2x2 wood frame - which means the fiberglass skinned models probably would be my first choice if going with a somewhat newer model.

There are so many manufacturers that the pool to choose from is daunting.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Have a lease trailer but thinking about a short travel trailer for excursions. What about the keystone or forest river?

Comment

I would purchase a class A Motorhome. You can make some good buys on them. The resale is good on them as well. Also, the generator is already on board. Fill the gas or diesel tank and it will last you a long time. Get one that is fiberglass with one or more slides. Good Luck!

Comment

A couple things I looked for when I bought.

Only fiberglass and aluminum tends to “melt” where I would store it in the piney woods.

A slide (makes all the difference in the world.

A setup that didn’t have that cheesy table that converts into a bed only a midget could sleep on. I would preferred no table at all.

Lastly, tandem axels.

Comment

Bump it to $17,500 and it is sitting in my yard waiting for pickup. It is 50amp with two AC's but we run it 30 amp and one AC majority of time. Two slides, outdoor kitchen - queen in front, 3 bunks in back, couch and table make out if needed. It is in great shape and everything works - 2016 Heartland Prowler 31LX. I need to get some good pictures to share.

Comment

I looked at the Keystone Springdale units today.

The dealership in Stanton is only a Keystone dealer but I wanted to check them out.

The ones with the BH layout and a slide on the lot were 28’ and 17’. Nothing in between which was kinda disappointing.
                      The 28’ was certainly the best value of the lower end new units at 20k before TT&L.
                      If I was spending 21-22k and wanted new - it’s worth a look.

The 17’ was cool with a slide and off-road tires - but man - it’s small. The slide made it ok though.
                      I would buy one if I found a 2018 or 2019 lightly used one for a deal. It would fit me and my two kiddos and probably sellable to the next guy w/o taking the new to used depreciation hit.

Ideally something larger in my 15k price range could be found though. The used ones I walked through today were beat to sh#%

Comment

I think you may have a hard time close to home. Lubbock used to have a good rv dealer. Not sure about San angelo

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                          Bump it to $17,500 and it is sitting in my yard waiting for pickup. It is 50amp with two AC's but we run it 30 amp and one AC majority of time. Two slides, outdoor kitchen - queen in front, 3 bunks in back, couch and table make out if needed. It is in great shape and everything works - 2016 Heartland Prowler 31LX. I need to get some good pictures to share.

I’d be in for the pictures. Can you tow it with a 1/2 ton pick-up?

Comment

I would never buy a new camper if money is an issue....

Too many "new" campers out there that people realize they dont use to justify....

I found a 2017 Open Range huge trailer for $25K that is valued at $60k plus....
                            Sales price was $84K....
                            Took my about a week to fix a dozen or so small items that was broke...I.E the shower doors had come off track.....

You can find a deal if you are willing to look

Comment

We just went through this. My wife and I wanted exactly what you described. Under 30', bunkhouse, one slide and half ton towable. My budget was 15

After about 8 months of shopping and finding stuff like the jayco posted we bought new. I shopped from Galveston to dallas and had feelers out with 2 Salesmen. We ended up driving to Tyler Saturday. All of what we found in the floor plan we wanted was 17 or 18k for a 3 year old unit. While I didnt want to up the budget just to see it fall off once we left the dealer we bought new.

Clearance priced 2019 24dbs tracer breeze right off the lot. Did all the dealing over the phone and drove up for delivery. They came down on price,threw in a hitch and 5 additional years of warranty. With the warranty was 100 dollar deductible come to me to fix anything on it for 6 years . I spent more than I wanted but we're happy

While it's our first unit we have borrowed 3 from my parents. With more than 2 people a slide is a MUST. And the slide is where the price hangs imo. Ours will live indoors 90% of the time while we start on some lake property. Once a house is built it will move on.

It's a good thing a carried a tape measure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                                I looked at the Keystone Springdale units today.

The dealership in Stanton is only a Keystone dealer but I wanted to check them out.

The ones with the BH layout and a slide on the lot were 28’ and 17’. Nothing in between which was kinda disappointing.
                                The 28’ was certainly the best value of the lower end new units at 20k before TT&L.
                                If I was spending 21-22k and wanted new - it’s worth a look.

The 17’ was cool with a slide and off-road tires - but man - it’s small. The slide made it ok though.
                                I would buy one if I found a 2018 or 2019 lightly used one for a deal. It would fit me and my two kiddos and probably sellable to the next guy w/o taking the new to used depreciation hit.

Ideally something larger in my 15k price range could be found though. The used ones I walked through today were beat to sh#%

My buddy is selling one for $12,000 that’s practically brand new. He will bring it to Midland for you. PM and I’ll give you his phone number. It’s a great camper for the money.

Comment

Working...
                                X