Travel Trailer experts - show me the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
    Does anyone have any feedback on Keystone Passport or Bullet trailers?
    I was looking for a 1/2 ton pull 30’ bunkhouse and theirs seem to be lightweight.

I don’t feel that lighter is better. You still have a huge mass to catch crosswinds etc yet less weight to resist the push

Comment

I was looking for a 1/2 ton pull 30’ bunkhouse and theirs seem to be lightweight.

Can you pull it with a 1/2 ton.... yes.

Can you stop it with a 1/2 ton??? When SHTF??

Prolly not.

Comment

Tagged.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
          Can you pull it with a 1/2 ton.... yes.

Can you stop it with a 1/2 ton??? When SHTF??

Prolly not.

Why not?

Good working trailer brakes will **** sure stop that dude these days. I have to keep mine turned down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Why not?

Good working trailer brakes will **** sure stop that dude these days. I have to keep mine turned down.

I think it’s more about the tail wagging the dog on a trailer that big behind a 1/2 ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              I think it’s more about the tail wagging the dog on a trailer that big behind a 1/2 ton.

This is exactly what I was referring to above, you have a large but relatively light trailer catching a ton of wind due to surface area. Cross winds are a b i t c h and even passing an 18 wheeler can throw it into fishtailing.

I have pulled a ton of big stuff from 18 wheelers to livestock and have carried a class A CDL for near 30 years and my 31’ bumper pull camper behind a 3/4 ton has caused me the most stress.

Comment

Keystone is straight up top of the line. Have owned many and seen allot of stuff. Can’t go wrong with keystone

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

There is definitely more to think about, but stopping a travel trailer isn’t hard anymore, as long as all the stuff is right. But I still believe in overkill at the truck position.

Comment

Travel Trailer experts - show me the way

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
                    Keystone is straight up top of the line. Have owned many and seen allot of stuff. Can’t go wrong with keystone

I also believe in Keystone products, hence the trailer I’m setting in right now. Dad had a 36’ Montana 5th wheel and it was a solid beast. I’ve been around a bunch more, and Keystone is better built, pound for pound. Also like some of the th KZ line.

Not crazy about many others.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-27-2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      There is definitely more to think about, but stopping a travel trailer isn’t hard anymore, as long as all the stuff is right. But I still believe in overkill at the truck position.

Don’t disagree trailer brakes will help stop it. I’m more thinking if you ever get into a evasive maneuver situation where you have to change lanes in a hurry while braking hard or even like Brent said, a high wind situation.

I don’t know about the 1/2 ton trucks but my Ram will also downshift in a **** hurry if it detects a panic braking maneuver. It will drop 3 gears in a heartbeat and go full exhaust brake too.

3/4 & 1 ton trucks especially diesels are designed to haul the bigger loads like that whereas 1/2 tons aren’t regardless of what the manufacturers say. Sure they will pull it and stop it no problem in normal driving circumstances, but when stuff goes bad, there’s no way I would want a big and/or heavy trailer behind a 1/2 ton.

Comment

Working...
                      X