Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Eating carp.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bayouboy View Post
    carp = nasty

恕我不能赞同

Comment

Eating carp.....

Brine the slabs with skin on and ribs in and smoke them. Very good and pretty common fare in the upper Mississippi River area. No need to cut out any of the meat. I know people make fun of carp but I use to have a rule that no catfish were allowed in my boat.....to each their own.

When I was a kid some of the local bars....they called them taverns would sell smoked carp.....they also had the jars of pickled eggs and sausages on the bar also.

I’ve had it, they are good as much as I don’t want to fish for them. We use to spear them when the Mississippi was high and they were spawning in the shallows. Fun bow fishing too.
      Last edited by Caddo Creek; 04-28-2020, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        恕我不能赞同
        Well said.

Comment

Got some gar,carp,drum and frog legs to eat this evening. My buddy is cooking some up so I'm gonna go try it out and see what it's like. I'll report back on how it is.

Comment

We deep fat fried it. Carp tasted more like liver than anything. Gar was ok but kinda gritty. Drum is really good.

Comment

Yep, I like drum . Only prob is it takes a drum twice the size of a sandbass to get the same amount of fillet that the sandy has. They gots large rib cages with big rib bones. Not much meat on them ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                We deep fat fried it. Carp tasted more like liver than anything. Gar was ok but kinda gritty. Drum is really good.
                So how was the frog legs?

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                  So how was the frog legs?
                  Really good. I've always heard the saying "taste like chicken." I think frog legs are about as close to chicken as you can get without actually eating chicken. I like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    Yep, I like drum . Only prob is it takes a drum twice the size of a sandbass to get the same amount of fillet that the sandy has. They gots large rib cages with big rib bones. Not much meat on them ribs.
                    Not a whole lot but the one my buddy got was a pretty good sized drum. I'd definitely eat drum again. The gar wouldn't have been bad except for that grit they had to them. The carp was not as good as I expected. Too many bones and the taste wasn't all that great. Definitely edible but not my first choice if I had to choose a trash fish to cook up.

Comment

filet the top loin off on both sides and cut into chunks. freeze them and later put them on jug lines! let the catfish eat ur carp then u can have catfish sammitches!!!

Comment

blues love carp!

cut carp caught these in April!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          You must be new .
                          Pics please, cuz that ain't how fishing stories work around here cuz .
                          I will see what I can dig up next time I am at his house. This was the late 80s early 90s. If I remember correctly majority, if not all are fly fishing. They were all on the Brazos and Trinity River.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                            We deep fat fried it. Carp tasted more like liver than anything?
                            Wow thats crazy. Have had it every way and never tasted like liver

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Wow thats crazy. Have had it every way and never tasted like liver
                              That's what it reminded me of and my buddy said the same. The red meat down the middle of the fillet turned dark and that's what tasted like liver. The white meat stayed white and actually didn't taste terrible. It was very odd. I wasn't expecting that taste at all. I like chicken liver so I wouldn't say it was bad but it was definitely different. These that we ate were common carp. I think if we'd have cut that red strip out of the meat it wouldn't have tasted quite like that. I ate more of it than anyone else did. If it wasn't for all the bones I think I would have enjoyed it more.

Another thing too was the one I noticed that was the biggest fillet was darker meat than the smaller carp. I think that's why it tasted like that but I could be wrong. I think if I were to keep common carp to cook I'd want to keep smaller ones because the fillets from them weren't quite as dark or different tasting meat.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 05-09-2020, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasCoon12 View Post
                                Gaspergoo are excellent.
                                I second that...They in Drum/Redfish family...not Carp family

Comment

Working...
                                X