Eating carp.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    This thread made me realize that I’m a lot better fisherman than most people.[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dang made me laugh out loud!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
      this thread made me realize that i’m a lot better fisherman than most people.[emoji23][emoji23]

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

lmao!

Comment

****!!! Times are getting tough!!

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Thanks for bringing this up Rattler. Ive got some carp I need to shoot and was simply gonna chop up for dog food.

Thanks for the link Hooligan.
          Bury them in your orchard! I've got a mind to try carp sometime, but only cause my garden is too easily accessible to my dog. They're great fertilizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
            ****!!! Times are getting tough!!
            Waste not, want not.

I'll take the back straps out of gar if I get some too. Might turn out to be really good.

Comment

Eating carp.....

Back when we used to have the TBH fish fry ( might still do ?) haven’t been around in awhile, Poco ( Ray) always cooked gar back straps mixed in with reds and trout and I’ll be dammed if I could tell the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I throw back thousands of crappie a year! I'm not about to eat carp!

Comment

IF and that's a big IF, I ever decided to eat carp, it would either be those Asian carp (grass carp) or small mouth buffalo. The grass carp is a fine white meat and looks good. The small mouth buffalo is actually very good eating if you know how to clean them. They have many, man small bones in their back strap area, but if you cut it off the bone along the spine then rip it into strips rather than cut it, the bones are not a big deal to get out as you eat the pieces. The bigger the buffalo, the better. It's quite good. It is a very white mild flaky meat. Those common or German carp, are just mud and blood far as I'm concerned. You ever fillet one or skin one and see that yellow meat, you're a better man than me if you can eat it. It looks and smells awful! I'd have to be real hungry to try and eat one of those things!

Comment

I ate those carp as a teenager, the bait was cotton seed meal, corn meal, flour, splash of vanilla extract cooked into doe balls the size of a baseball, small trebble hook, let the pole lie on the ground, they chupa on bait take a kid and have a blast reeling them in, dont need to eat them

Comment

Secret recipe back in the day, I might be hearing from Dr Gary’s lawyer

Comment

I eat almost anything. At least once. Never found a way to eat carp. I caught some cold water carp up north that the meat looked very clean and pretty. Did not try it. Might have been ok. Gaspergou, from cleaner waters is excellent up to roughly 24" max size. Lake Travis and San Gabriel Gaspers eat very good. very similar to redfish but without that sweet salt water taste due to diet. Muddy, not sure how gasper would be. Tried gar, edible but not good. Hungry enough all fish have a place on the table. We live abundant but my family will eat and if carp is all we had, it would be delicious at that point.

Comment

I have caught 10 carp so far this year, and the thought of eating one has not crossed my mind. Even after reading all these posts, the thought won’t cross my mind.

Comment

It'll either be nasty or it won't. That's really all I know. If it is I'll throw it away. You never really know if something is good to eat unless you eat it.

Some of my Mexican buddies love eating them. Maybe they know something us white folks don't.

Comment

Carp = Nasty

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
                                I ate those carp as a teenager, the bait was cotton seed meal, corn meal, flour, splash of vanilla extract cooked into doe balls the size of a baseball, small trebble hook, let the pole lie on the ground, they chupa on bait take a kid and have a blast reeling them in, dont need to eat them
                                X2 same recipe my dad taught me to make,minus the vanilla,caught tons of carp and an occasional channel cat

Comment

Working...
                                X