Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot 19% FOC or greater with a heavy arrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can choose a speed, and build an arrow that accomplishes this speed, or, you can choose an arrow weight, and accept the speed it acquires. I want an arrow that falls within my comfortable speed, that I can physically shoot a bow that is capable. Like I said earlier, you’ve already made up your mind. At least you picked a great bow for your first bow.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
      You can choose a speed, and build an arrow that accomplishes this speed, or, you can choose an arrow weight, and accept the speed it acquires. I want an arrow that falls within my comfortable speed, that I can physically shoot a bow that is capable. Like I said earlier, you’ve already made up your mind. At least you picked a great bow for your first bow.
      Thank you, got kinda lucky. I have to thank the guys at Triple Edge Archery for the recommendation and helping me learn some basics.

I didn't grow up with anyone that bow hunted or knew anyone that bow hunted. Just something I always wanted to do. Some of the technical stuff overwhelmed me and still does but I am attempting to wade in and give it a go. My only resource is personal experience, friendly people at the bow range, this site, and YouTube.

I enjoy a good banter and I really do like to hear experiences as there is always something to learn from. I am always down for a beer and banter- HA. Good Hunting to you as well

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
        So what are you... the peanut gallery? Will you load my water gun?

Look I am no expert...That isn't going to hurt my feelings. I know my limitations or lack there of. I am just trying to learn and there are a lot of people just as qualified as Rocky speaking for the higher FOC and heavier arrow.

So Rocky is a legend, I get it but I am going to have to test stuff out myself unless you guys are willing to share some photos or videos of your setup. I know it is easier to pick apart someone else ie Ranch Fairy because he could come off as annoying and you dont agree with him if you gave him an actual listen. Most likely you haven't watched his many kill videos or photos submitted to him of various setups. Much easier to be the grumpy old guy bashing others for something different

... wrong again. If you read my posts earlier I said I was reading up on it and watch ranch fairy regularly but was happy with my current 425 grain 60 lbs setup and performance. I hadn’t subscribed to his theory just yet because I have 3 dozens arrows that suggest I stick with what I have now.

I was merely informing you who you were talking down to about merit. I should have just let you load your squirt gun and fire away and continue on. I apologize for suggesting you tap the brakes.
        Last edited by Smart; 02-24-2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          ... wrong again. If you read my posts earlier I said I was reading up on it and watch ranch fairy regularly but was happy with my current 425 grain 60 lbs setup and performance. I hadn’t subscribed to his theory just yet because I have 3 dozens arrows that suggest I stick with what I have now.

I was merely informing you who you were talking down to about merit. I should have just let you load your squirt gun and fire away and continue on. I apologize for suggesting you tap the brakes.
          I do not need to be informed. This is the internet and Rocky can take care of himself, as well as I. A little banter should be expected. All was well until a little attitude was thrown my way, in which I gave the attitude right back. Am I supposed to hide in my safe space? Its the internet you informed me. Why would anyone need to tap the brakes?

The wrong again comment... that comment was not toward you. Get over yourself. That was toward Rocky and his YouTube fad comment. You come to his rescue so I just reply to both of you guys in the rebuttal. Glad you watched his videos. Not sure why you decided you needed to come to Rockys aid or my aid... which is it? You were saving me...by telling me I didnt know who I was talking to? Or defending Rocky because he needed it? I dont know... whatever.

You got upset about me mentioning a deer is not a fragile animal. You had to quip that it is a fragile animal if you know how to shoot it ie. Know what the f you are doing. Whatever... you then jump to Rockys rescue for whatever reason when I commented to his little jab or quip about 'me asking for opinions and just build whatever I want because my mind was made up' I believe that was the case the entire time. SEE THREAD TITLE AND REMARKS UNDER. Reading comprehension was understood I was not asking a comparison. Simply who has done it, is doing it, and their experiences.

Rocky is a cool dude by the way he handled the little back and forth we had. No big deal and I can learn a lot from him but I also am not going to hide when little jabs are thrown for no apparent reason which he did so I rebuttal

My little squirt gun as you like to say is loaded with acid. Hooter Shooters Unite!

Anyway, I am sure you are an okay guy when not being the mother Hen
          Last edited by Beargrasstx; 02-25-2020, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Now that I allowed this thread to get derailed... Hope someone was entertained.

I think the last theories are interesting and if someone is good with physics or some science that would be interesting.

Heavy FOC on an arrow some say caused the broadhead to pull the arrow in flight, not the shaft pushing it.

I mentioned earlier before this got sideways... That imagine a softball being thrown with a stick or string behind it. That stick is not pushing that heavy ball through the air. It is going along for the ride and maybe help steering it.

Again, this is probably a bad analogy. I am up for thoughts etc. But I can see the heavy broadhead pulling the lighter shaft as directed in flight. The arrow shaft is just an object and not the force behind it. The bow is the force causing the flight. the shaft and vanes just guide it while the heavier broadhead with weight up front is pulling it along.

Then another thing I think about. What if you were throwing a golfball at someone. Any slight movement incorrect will lead to an inaccurate albeit fast throw. No doubt that golfball will hurl but how accurate and with what force?

You take a baseball and throw it and it is more forgiving than the lighter golfball to mistakes in your form. It also can't be thrown as fast maybe but when it hits, well it hits a lot harder than that golfball.

We could use a softball as an example, eventually you can have too heavy of a broadhead.

So this brings me back to wanting to explore broadhead weight to find the right weight for me and speed. My guess or bias going into this experiment would be around a 500 grain arrow 20%FOC and shooting 235 to 250 fps. I may not be able to shoot that fast. I would like to stay around that 250 fps so that may be 470 grain arrow but I do want to try and stay close to 19% as I can.

Anyway, I would rather much debate theories or analogies and maybe we can learn something together. I just want to be the most effective bow hunter I can be.
            One of those things is building the perfect load, then practicing nonstoo, and keeping the bow tuned and broadheads sharp.

While we may have had a little spat I truly have no hard feelings and I apologize if I did offend. I am serious about that.

Comment

I do not need to be informed. This is the internet and Rocky can take care of himself, as well as I. A little banter should be expected. All was well until a little attitude was thrown my way, in which I gave the attitude right back. Am I supposed to hide in my safe space? Its the internet you informed me. Why would anyone need to tap the brakes?

The wrong again comment... that comment was not toward you. Get over yourself. That was toward Rocky and his YouTube fad comment. You come to his rescue so I just reply to both of you guys in the rebuttal. Glad you watched his videos. Not sure why you decided you needed to come to Rockys aid or my aid... which is it? You were saving me...by telling me I didnt know who I was talking to? Or defending Rocky because he needed it? I dont know... whatever.

You got upset about me mentioning a deer is not a fragile animal. You had to quip that it is a fragile animal if you know how to shoot it ie. Know what the f you are doing. Whatever... you then jump to Rockys rescue for whatever reason when I commented to his little jab or quip about 'me asking for opinions and just build whatever I want because my mind was made up' I believe that was the case the entire time. SEE THREAD TITLE AND REMARKS UNDER. Reading comprehension was understood I was not asking a comparison. Simply who has done it, is doing it, and their experiences.

Rocky is a cool dude by the way he handled the little back and forth we had. No big deal and I can learn a lot from him but I also am not going to hide when little jabs are thrown for no apparent reason which he did so I rebuttal

My little squirt gun as you like to say is loaded with acid. Hooter Shooters Unite!

Anyway, I am sure you are an okay guy when not being the mother Hen

Wait wait? I’m the one upset about the comment that a deer is not fragile?. Me? I suggested their body parts were after you’re comment. Reading your post above and subsequent replies it sounds like quite the opposite on who got upset. You are reaching for something that is not there. You got butthurt over somebody’s opinions (there were several) and a “quip” but now I’m the one that got upset? I haven’t been upset in this whole thread.[emoji23]

My reading comprehension is just fine. There are several that replied differently than you wanted. .. again this is the internet. The message boards are full of different opinions. You post a thread and they are coming. Ironically my opinion was quite neutral... actually leaning more toward peaking my interest toward the FOC argument. ... not against it. There were a few opinions in here that were more opposite than mine.

And I can assure your I didn’t nor did I need to jump to rocky’s aid. The man can take care of himself as most of us have seen around here for years. You were carrying on like a guy who didn’t know you were talking to a guy that’s owned a shop and has been a research junkie around here for years. Again I was merely informing you so you didn’t look like a fool. I failed. Again I apologize for stepping in and trying to let you know that. Carry on!
              Last edited by Smart; 02-25-2020, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Now that I allowed this thread to get derailed... Hope someone was entertained.

I think the last theories are interesting and if someone is good with physics or some science that would be interesting.

Heavy FOC on an arrow some say caused the broadhead to pull the arrow in flight, not the shaft pushing it.

I mentioned earlier before this got sideways... That imagine a softball being thrown with a stick or string behind it. That stick is not pushing that heavy ball through the air. It is going along for the ride and maybe help steering it.

Again, this is probably a bad analogy. I am up for thoughts etc. But I can see the heavy broadhead pulling the lighter shaft as directed in flight. The arrow shaft is just an object and not the force behind it. The bow is the force causing the flight. the shaft and vanes just guide it while the heavier broadhead with weight up front is pulling it along.

Then another thing I think about. What if you were throwing a golfball at someone. Any slight movement incorrect will lead to an inaccurate albeit fast throw. No doubt that golfball will hurl but how accurate and with what force?

You take a baseball and throw it and it is more forgiving than the lighter golfball to mistakes in your form. It also can't be thrown as fast maybe but when it hits, well it hits a lot harder than that golfball.

We could use a softball as an example, eventually you can have too heavy of a broadhead.

So this brings me back to wanting to explore broadhead weight to find the right weight for me and speed. My guess or bias going into this experiment would be around a 500 grain arrow 20%FOC and shooting 235 to 250 fps. I may not be able to shoot that fast. I would like to stay around that 250 fps so that may be 470 grain arrow but I do want to try and stay close to 19% as I can.

Anyway, I would rather much debate theories or analogies and maybe we can learn something together. I just want to be the most effective bow hunter I can be.
                One of those things is building the perfect load, then practicing nonstoo, and keeping the bow tuned and broadheads sharp.

While we may have had a little spat I truly have no hard feelings and I apologize if I did offend. I am serious about that.
                I get what you are saying and know golfball/baseball is just an example. But I think that kind of example is misleading in archery applications.
                The range is too extreme. A golfball weighs 1.6 ounces(700 grains) and a baseball weighs 5.25ounces(2297 grains.)

I’m not trying to be a smart aleck or a jerk just discussing.

Archery is a whole another animal in itself with a broadhead added in to the mix. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                  I get what you are saying and know golfball/baseball is just an example. But I think that kind of example is misleading in archery applications.
                  The range is too extreme. A golfball weighs 1.6 ounces(700 grains) and a baseball weighs 5.25ounces(2297 grains.)

I’m not trying to be a smart aleck or a jerk just discussing.

Archery is a whole another animal in itself with a broadhead added in to the mix. Lol
                  I never liked those “examples “ and found them misleading also

Closer would be comparing an 11” vs 12” softball = don’t matter when thrown correctly

Comment

Chance,

Awesome, glad to hear your experience. I hope to have the same results. If not, no biggie but there have been enough stories like yours to convince me to give it a shot.

I don't think anyone on here has stated you can't kill a deer or a hog without a heavy arrow and higher FOC. We have all killed deer with our speed set up. It like guys using a 22-250 or .243 rifle there whole life and swear that is all you need when someone decides they want to beef up to a 30-06.

The way I see it, why not have one rig that can kill elk, hog, or deer without having to switch out arrows or broadheads? Just become very proficient with one setup? If this set up doesn't seem like an advantage over the other, I will gladly switch back as I already have the broadheads and arrows for that.

Change can be good-
                    Little brother; you see now why I normally stay away from these posts , I've shared with you personally my life in archery. To cut the chase, do what works for you. I don't imagine the Native Americans we as concerned with numbers as they were with taking down a two ton bison. After all is said and done it's where we place that pointy object that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                      I shoot 525 grain arrows with 21% foc out of a 70 pound bow 28.5 inch draw. Hit like a hammer but have had a big hog limit them to 10 inches of penetration at 22 yards and a second shot at 3 yards. Don’t get too carried away with arrow weight and foc for a whitetail setup but I do like 475-550 grains for Texas hunting.
                      Don't want to open a can of worms but what broad heads were you shooting ?

Comment

Here is a new product that is going to be available soon that addresses KE/Momentum. Take a look here. Bad Boys weight sleeves.

Make tracking arrows easy with Pro-Tracker Recovery System! Our arrow tracker helps you recover your bowhunting game! Track game, not arrows!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-25-2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                          Here is a new product that is going to be available soon that addresses KE/Momentum. Take a look here. Bad Boys weight sleeves.

Make tracking arrows easy with Pro-Tracker Recovery System! Our arrow tracker helps you recover your bowhunting game! Track game, not arrows!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Trying to wrap my head around this since:

1.) shaft to ferrule ratio has an effect on penetration which in this case would be a negative working against any benefits gained from increasing FOC

2.) that length of footer (which is essentially what these are) will stiffen the arrow compared to a conventional build using standard weight forward principals

3.) adding weight away from the tip does not present the same net gain in FOC as adding closer to the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything Rocky said.

Comment

Working...
                            X