Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot 19% FOC or greater with a heavy arrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer are extremely fragile if you do your part. Light or heavy arrow.

Comment

I sort-of got into the FOC game a few years ago. For years and years I was usually around a 425gr total weight with probably 9% FOC. I killed a LOT of deer over those years. But only got pass-throughs about half the time. Well except when I was shooting a Monster and my arrows were flirting with 300 fps, those usually always had pass-throughs. Anyway, a few years ago I got to talking with a few guys on here and switched things up. My arrows now weigh 515 gr, and have an FOC of 19%. Speed is somewhere around 260 fps. And they blow through everything. Bow is really quiet and forgiving. I'm a fan.

Comment

Chance,

Awesome, glad to hear your experience. I hope to have the same results. If not, no biggie but there have been enough stories like yours to convince me to give it a shot.

I don't think anyone on here has stated you can't kill a deer or a hog without a heavy arrow and higher FOC. We have all killed deer with our speed set up. It like guys using a 22-250 or .243 rifle there whole life and swear that is all you need when someone decides they want to beef up to a 30-06.

The way I see it, why not have one rig that can kill elk, hog, or deer without having to switch out arrows or broadheads? Just become very proficient with one setup? If this set up doesn't seem like an advantage over the other, I will gladly switch back as I already have the broadheads and arrows for that.

Change can be good-

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
          Chance,

Awesome, glad to hear your experience. I hope to have the same results. If not, no biggie but there have been enough stories like yours to convince me to give it a shot.

I don't think anyone on here has stated you can't kill a deer or a hog without a heavy arrow and higher FOC. We have all killed deer with our speed set up. It like guys using a 22-250 or .243 rifle there whole life and swear that is all you need when someone decides they want to beef up to a 30-06.

The way I see it, why not have one rig that can kill elk, hog, or deer without having to switch out arrows or broadheads? Just become very proficient with one setup? If this set up doesn't seem like an advantage over the other, I will gladly switch back as I already have the broadheads and arrows for that.

Change can be good-
          You asked, you got feedback, and your mind was already made up from reading the internet. Build your arrows and jump on the bandwagon.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
            Here’s somereal world numbers. I restrung one of my Assassins today and tested arrows. A 390 grain arrow shot at 65 lbs at 28” draw hit 281 FPS. 68.3 ke, .486 momentum. A 415 grain arrow shot 273 fps at 68.69 ke and .502 momentum. A 447 grain arrow shot 264 fps with 69.19 ke and .523 momentum. I’ve killed over a hundred whitetails up to 300 lbs with the 390 arrow.

Those are some impressive numbers for the little ol Assassin. I’ve almost bought one a couple of times, just never bit the bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You asked, you got feedback, and your mind was already made up from reading the internet. Build your arrows and jump on the bandwagon.

The thread title 'Anyone shoot 19% FOC or greater with a heavy arrow?' That is more for those that do shoot that to give an opinion on experiences. Not for the crowd that is against FOC and heavy arrows to keep chiming in and getting in a debate merited strictly by personal biases without having personally tried it.

Yes my mind was made up to give it a shot and wanting to know what some peoples builds were and experiences. Not hear how 'deer aren't tough animals I killed 100 of them with my twizzler set up and rage broadheads. Its all shot placement, don't shoot a slower bow, its all about speed' crowd.

So of course, when i hear arguments against heavy FOC and heavy arrows but with no real merit other than personal opinion without ever trying it...Well it is hard to take it seriously because you were never open minded to it. You only came on here to discredit it because you have only done one thing your whole life. You offer no variety of experience of trial and error.

Look you may be a 'hooter' shooter. I am not, I want to be but my main thing is I want to kill animals that I work very hard to pattern and only have one chance at. I plan on practicing my form and all that. No one is saying otherwise. I just want to clarify before that is the next emotional banter back that shot placement is key etc. That is a 100% fact. Fred Bear sure killed a lot of animals with his slow, heavy, and fixed blade setup. Its all a personal preference.
              Last edited by Beargrasstx; 02-24-2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                Those are some impressive numbers for the little ol Assassin. I’ve almost bought one a couple of times, just never bit the bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I won’t mislead you. This is a 60 lb Assassin that I have loaded to 65 lbs. With the slotted draw stop cam, I’m able to pre-load the limbs and advance the cams to achieve this while keeping the dL accurate. I have a couple of good Assassins.

Comment

I love the Assassin. Of course, it was my first and only compound bow so I don't know what is out there to compare

It kills stuff and shoots good. Anything that happens bad...is my fault when it does.

When I first bought it and set it up. The chronograph had me at 287 or 289 fps shooting 62 or 63lb draw weight, 27.5 draw length, with 100 grain tip, 27.5 long Beman ICS Hunters

Comment

The thread title 'Anyone shoot 19% FOC or greater with a heavy arrow?' That is more for those that do shoot that to give an opinion on experiences. Not for the crowd that is against FOC and heavy arrows to keep chiming in and getting in a debate merited strictly by personal biases without having personally tried it.

Yes my mind was made up to give it a shot and wanting to know what some peoples builds were and experiences. Not hear how 'deer aren't tough animals I killed 100 of them with my twizzler set up and rage broadheads. Its all shot placement, don't shoot a slower bow, its all about speed' crowd.

So of course, when i hear arguments against heavy FOC and heavy arrows but with no real merit other than personal opinion without ever trying it...Well it is hard to take it seriously because you were never open minded to it. You only came on here to discredit it because you have only done one thing your whole life. You offer no variety of experience of trial and error.

Look you may be a 'hooter' shooter. I am not, I want to be but my main thing is I want to kill animals that I work very hard to pattern and only have one chance at. I plan on practicing my form and all that. No one is saying otherwise. I just want to clarify before that is the next emotional banter back that shot placement is key etc. That is a 100% fact. Fred Bear sure killed a lot of animals with his slow, heavy, and fixed blade setup. Its all a personal preference.

Maybe this internet thing is not for you...opinions come in all shapes and sizes...the guy is a long, long, long time shop owner and bow tuner....I'd think he has plenty of merit.
                    Last edited by Smart; 02-24-2020, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Yes my mind was made up to give it a shot and wanting to know what some peoples builds were and experiences. Not here how 'deer aren't tough animals I killed 100 of them with my twizzler set up and rage broadheads. Its all shot placement don't shoot a slower bow, its all about speed' crowd.

Look you may be a 'hooter' shooter. I am not, I want to be but my main thing is I want to kill animals that I work very hard to pattern and only have one chance at. I plan on practicing my form and all that. No one is saying otherwise before that is the next emotional banter back.
                      Wrong. I started killing deer way before carbon arrows. My first fast setup shot 213 fps. I’ve tested several (maybe 100s of arrow builds). I’m not the guy that has only tried one thing. I’m also not the guy to get caught up in the current YouTube fad. I’m not a great shooter, and simply an average hunter. That’s why I like flat trajectories and mid weight arrows. Yes, I’ve killed a bunch of deer. My wife has killed over 60 deer with her bow at 25” draw, 45 lbs, and a 300 grain arrow. Her setup keeps me in perspective. Test things as I have before you bash me. Good hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Maybe this internet thing is not for you...opinions come in all shapes and sizes...
                        Ha! Based on your responses I am assuming that quote is for you. I am here all night and ready to chat away

Comment

Ha! Based on your responses I am assuming that quote is for you. I am here all night and ready to chat away

No sir....you brought a watergun to a gun fight talking to Rocky about bows and arrow setups merit...

Just a heads up.

Comment

Wrong. I started killing deer way before carbon arrows. My first fast setup shot 213 fps. I’ve tested several (maybe 100s of arrow builds). I’m not the guy that has only tried one thing. I’m also not the guy to get caught up in the current YouTube fad. I’m not a great shooter, and simply an average hunter. That’s why I like flat trajectories and mid weight arrows. Yes, I’ve killed a bunch of deer. My wife has killed over 60 deer with her bow at 25” draw, 45 lbs, and a 300 grain arrow. Her setup keeps me in perspective. Test things as I have before you bash me. Good hunting.

Okay, so have you tried this setup? As you can tell, I only have owned and shot one bow so not typically a guy that gets caught up in buying the latest and greatest bow. In fact, I would say the fad now is all about speed but who really knows.... Heavy arrows and FOC has been around a long time, went away with the fad of faster and flatter trajectories, of course bow companies want to pimp speed because well that is sexy and they can sell that by improving that every year.

How else are they going to improve it to get guys ready to drop 1k?

Different perspectives are good to hear, I like hearing them when based with numbers or facts.

I am not going to be impressed with killed 100 deer from someone on the internet. You tell me that you built a 475 grain arrow, with 20% FOC, and shot 230 fps and noticed that you were losing or missing animals so you swapped back....Well that would get my attention.

Honestly this thread was informative overall. So Smart or Rocky if you got some numbers to go along photos of penetration or facts then bring them. I will certainly read them. As far as internet fad with Ranch Fairy... Well he seems like a normal (weird) but average bowhunter that is experimenting and has a natural love of learning. He will try anything and he takes the time to video penetration on animals killed when cleaning the animal etc.

Someone that has killed a lot animals is a wealth of experience but as you have noticed...are resident knife guru responded on here and he was a hooter shooter for years. He likes higher FOC. So as you see it is hard for one to know who to trust since several people offer up a resume close to yours.

So I will try out myself. If I don't like it. I have not problem switching back and will speak out against it from my personal experience at that point

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              No sir....you brought a watergun to a gun fight talking to Rocky about bows and arrow setups merit...

Just a heads up.
                              So what are you... the peanut gallery? Will you load my water gun?

Look I am no expert...That isn't going to hurt my feelings. I know my limitations or lack there of. I am just trying to learn and there are a lot of people just as qualified as Rocky speaking for the higher FOC and heavier arrow.

So Rocky is a legend, I get it but I am going to have to test stuff out myself unless you guys are willing to share some photos or videos of your setup. I know it is easier to pick apart someone else ie Ranch Fairy because he could come off as annoying and you dont agree with him if you gave him an actual listen. Most likely you haven't watched his many kill videos or photos submitted to him of various setups. Much easier to be the grumpy old guy bashing others for something different

Comment

The other argument... if you noticed I mentioned how I am looking to build one arrow to hunt pigs, elk, and deer with (one setup)

If I wanted to build a lighter arrow and shoot fast through thin skinned deer great, but we have plenty of hogs and I like to elk hunt. I have limited time to practice shooting so it would be way more efficient for me to only have to practice with one set up

Hooter Shooters Unite!!

Comment

Working...
                                X