Would you shoot a mountain lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
    That should help. More hunters making selfish choices.
    What in the **** makes you think mountain lions are on the verge of extinction???

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      We are on the river less than 2 miles from Texas Most male cats range from 125-150lbs They look a lot more intimidating up close especially when you see how big their claws and teeth are.
      Thanks. Guess that makes that hebbronville 143 lb cat killed this year a really good one
      Do you think the highway traffic, high fences or smaller, “busier” ranches less attractive for the cats on this side of the river? Sure is a lot of food for them over here.

Comment

Stay proud being just a killer (not a hunter).

A balance of nature needs to exist. Obviously you couldn't give a $hi#.
        The balance is just fine & no, I do not give a crap as I trust Texas Parks & Wildlife to monitor the situation / numbers. They got the ocelot & jaguarundi covered. You just have a superior hunter complex & cannot understand why one cannot be happy for the very few who want to enjoy a legal kill. Mine would be table fare as well.

Not sure why you think a lion kill is any different than any other critter simply because it is elusive. I have a farmer buddy who lost a five figure newborn colt along the river in Starr Co to a lion a few years ago & they are reported to kill a deer a week. I don't want to see the diamondback or lion wiped out of texas but I am going to kill every single one if given the opportunity on my lease with gratitude from the Biologist.

Any of these you want to defend, or simply the long tailed ML on the superior killer / not a hunter list?? I doubt you are consistent & simply have a soft spot for certain critters. Everything has a balance & the lion is not in crisis as you seem to want to make folks believe.

Rattler
        Cotton Mouth
        Prairie Dog
        Coyote
        pig
        grackle
        pigeons
        jack rabbit
        Bobcat

Comment

Ask yourself this...

Are these arguments within this debate just an effort to prove you are right?

Or do you have any interest in doing what is right?
          You have completely fabricated a scenario that allows you to claim some fictional, "moral high ground" on this subject. Your confidence in your position is inspiring, however fake that position is.

Comment

**** it I knew there were some shenanigans going on over here. When were up to 300 post. I'm to late to the party [emoji19]. But know that I read all that stuff I'm going to kill the first one I see. And when I'm done I'm going to drink a white claw .

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              I would not but I’m sure that puts me in the minority.

On second thought, if I couldn’t get a picture I might have to shoot it just to prove I saw one. Otherwise every time I said I saw a mountain lion I would hear it was just a bobcat or a yellow dog.
              So I am in the same boat. This actually happened to me two years ago. I*m in the blind and poof deer split, all 20 of them, like I have never seen deer split before. I am thinking what the H? I turn around and low and behold what do I see? Yes, lion. My first reaction is photograph. As fast as I could I move my phone scope over on the cat as it turns to walk away. I snap snap then grab the rifle. Hour later deer trickle in and I never saw the lion again. Got a picture from rear end and you cant tell for 100% certainty that its a lion. But I do.

Comment

with effort and unselfishness, a few species have made or are making a comeback and avoiding extinction from original habitats. Sharks, whales, grizzly bears, eagles, sea turtles, turkey, gray wolves, and now a texas wild cat (possibly a mountain lion/cougar)...

Hunters who would choose to shoot one down at first site for a trophy vs make an impact toward restoring what was thought to be lost is selfish and mentally immature.
                roflmmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I’ve seen 3 in my lifetime !
                  They were lucky I was unarmed or one would be over my mantle.

Comment

I guess we all have our own thoughts (amazing how that happens). Nothing wrong with either way you feel. The people trying to sway opinions to their side are wasting their time and just look silly

Comment

On page one I stated that I would shoot one. That position has not changed but for those of you that would not shoot one ( and I support your right to make any decision you want ) can I assume you live in town? I live out in the country. I walk through all sort of country in the dark with just a bow. My grand kids run through the woods around here. If I see a cougar then it means there are too many of them around for my liking. I don't want to see kids, calves or colts killed. Now I know someone is going to post the statistics that say attacks by cougars is extremely rare. I agree but I also think the reason that they are rare is because anytime we see one someone shoots at it. I would like to keep it that way.

-john

Comment

Stay proud being just a killer (not a hunter).

A balance of nature needs to exist. Obviously you couldn't give a $hi#.
                        I tell you this. When I go hunt. I don’t go hunt to enjoy nature. I hunt because I like to kill animals. Doesn’t really bother me as to what it is. Whether it’s a deer, hog, coyote, bobcat, mtn. Lion. So to sit behind your computer and tell people that like to do it the way they do that they’re wrong and you’re right because you’re an animal lover just shows how big headed you are. Mtn lions are killers not hunters and they don’t stop at just deer and hogs. They kill calves and other livestock because people like you wouldn’t kill one and hand the problem to others.

Comment

I would never shoot a mountain lion.

I would harvest one.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            No, I would not, especially here where they are obviously, by all the posts in here, rarely seen. They may kill a deer per week or two but there are only a few hundred sightings in the whole state compared to how many hundreds of thousands of deer in this same state. I think there are too many other threats than worry about mountain lions.

https://www.texascooppower.com/conte...n-lion-map.jpg
                            A big cat can kill a lot more than a deer every week or two. We hunted one in New Mexico for a few years and never did get him, he would kill about 4-5 usually bigger bucks every week and only eat the heart and liver and leave it

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                              A big cat can kill a lot more than a deer every week or two. We hunted one in New Mexico for a few years and never did get him, he would kill about 4-5 usually bigger bucks every week and only eat the heart and liver and leave it
                              This is true. Lion kill a higher percentage of bucks than they do does. They also prefer fresh meat. Once it starts to taint they will leave it.

Comment

I would like to hunt one, no dogs and no bait. With those conditions and having an opportunity I would probably shoot one.

I would also like to hunt nuisance cats causing problems in ranching type scenarios .

Comment

Working...
                                X