Would you shoot a mountain lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O
    Last edited by jdavidson; 01-19-2020, 09:44 PM.

Comment

We have lots of mountain lions in the country we hunt in Mexico. See cats every season and get pics regularly. Rare for someone to get a shot but we've killed a few over the years and will continue. Certainly not hurting the population. To specifically answer the question I have and will continue to shoot them every chance I get as will all the hunters on every ranch in the neighborhood.

We have had better luck with traps and keep them out year round. Key is to use a cute goat.Also caught one in a snare just outside our camp a few years ago.Ranch cowboy chased one down on horseback that was killing calves. Roped it and beat it with a baseball bat. Horse was more scared of the cowboy that the lion tied to its pummel.

My partner filmed one at 3 feet from a ground bow blind a few years ago. Cat was too close to shoot out of the blind He took a shotgun to the bow blind the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        We have lots of mountain lions in the country we hunt in Mexico. See cats every season and get pics regularly. Rare for someone to get a shot but we've killed a few over the years and will continue. Certainly not hurting the population. To specifically answer the question I have and will continue to shoot them every chance I get as will all the hunters on every ranch in the neighborhood.

We have had better luck with traps and keep them out year round. Key is to use a cute goat.Also caught one in a snare just outside our camp a few years ago.Ranch cowboy chased one down on horseback that was killing calves. Roped it and beat it with a baseball bat. Horse was more scared of the cowboy that the lion tied to its pummel.

My partner filmed one at 3 feet from a ground bow blind a few years ago. Cat was too close to shoot out of the blind He took a shotgun to the bow blind the rest of the season.
        Question.....why do they prefer cute goats over ugly ones?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          Question.....why do they prefer cute goats over ugly ones?
          You're from Oklahoma....that should be easy to answer.

Comment

I thought this pic might add value to the conversation
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              You're from Oklahoma....that should be easy to answer.
              Eastern part of the state is where they date goats. I know some people I'll ask.LOL

Comment

It's usually the classifieds that cost me money, but **** if it didn't happen in the campfire tonight:

1. Cat with gun from blind.
                2. Cat with dogs.
                3. Cat with bow.
                4. Cat with crossbow over live squealing goat.

This is gonna be a great year!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post

Curious. How far into Mexico are you? 3’ is too close.
                  What’s the biggest y’all have killed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    Curious. How far into Mexico are you? 3’ is too close.
                    What’s the biggest y’all have killed ?
                    We are on the river less than 2 miles from Texas Most male cats range from 125-150lbs They look a lot more intimidating up close especially when you see how big their claws and teeth are.

Comment

I wouldn't go on a mtn lion hunt, but I would shoot one if I saw it while huntin.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        I used to spend my nights out in a barroom
                        Liquor was the only love I've known
                        But you rescued me from reachin' for the bottom
                        And brought me back from being too far gone
                        Great song!

I would still shoot a mountain lion...

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                          With effort and unselfishness, a few species have made or are making a comeback and avoiding extinction from original habitats. Sharks, whales, grizzly bears, eagles, sea turtles, turkey, gray wolves, and now a Texas wild cat (possibly a mountain lion/cougar)...

Hunters who would choose to shoot one down at first site for a trophy vs make an impact toward restoring what was thought to be lost is selfish and mentally immature.
                          Well I was trying to take your rambling serious untill I saw you love wolves too. I bet going it you 2020 p e t a card in the mail just last week. All wolves need to be shot in the face or gut depending on which way they are headed.

Comment

Would you shoot a mountain lion

Got this yesterday from a buddy hunting Nevada

And yes, I’d shoot one in a heartbeat!
                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My answer is absolutely yes.

Back in high school, I woke up from a pre-dawn nap on a 5-gal bucket to a mountain lion face within arms reach. Apparently he/she thought the deer trail I was set up on was pretty good too.

I was so startled I fell over backwards, it was so startled that it fell over backwards, and everyone thought I had imagined it until my father checked the creek bed below where I was sitting. There were paw prints as big as a CD in a sand bank down there.

I have decided that I can’t go a lifetime without retaliating for that dang thing making me P1$$ my pants. I won’t do a dog hunt, but any other chance I get at one, they are fair game!

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                                Big bad *** hunters that sit in comfy boxes over feeders and have never observed one in the wild in their life...

Same choose to shoot while also claiming to be all about balance and management in other political conversations. You can't have it both ways.

Truth is that your efforts and $$$ on high fences and protein feeders are pointed toward one single goal...

the reward for the harvest of a record whitetail (or exotic) or the $$$ rewards that are reaped from selling the oportunity AND **** anything that gets in the way.

I think you’re on the wrong site, cowgirl.....

Comment

Working...
                                X