Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2020 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
    **** nice! I’ve never caught a flounder from the sea wall in Seadrift. Lots of hard heads, rat reds, black drum, and sheepshead. One giant black drum late one night too. I’ll be down there Father’s Day weekend with my son. The three of us (dad included) are going to hit the bay that Saturday morning. Tried to order a new rod for the trip. Post office delivered it like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered one from Waterloo last month and it looked just like that when it arrived!

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
      I ordered one from Waterloo last month and it looked just like that when it arrived!

Guess I got lucky, ordered 2 8’ Falcons and both came in perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        School me on the absolutely lightest wade fishing rig. I’m looking for something super light for my wife.
        I may not be as much an expert as some. But I love throwing light tackle. All of my main rigs are 7-7'6 M and ML with 10-15# braid.

Waterloo HP lite 7 M I think was my favorite.
        Falcon Bucoo SR 7 ML replaced it. Lighter, more sensitive tip, less backbone.
        Just got a Daiwa Rebellion 7 ML and it is phenomenal. Backbone is more what I'd consider M than ML, but nice tip action, and weighs nothing. 2500 Nasci on it and it's a pleasure to throw!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          Lol... there's been a few trips this year with me scratching my head believing this

I'm fishing tomorrow with my nephew in West, I'll have room for 1 more if anyone wants to join. This could be an all day trip so plan accordingly. Let me know.... be at the Harbor at 5:30.

**** just seeing this. Been working all day. Good luck!

Comment

School me on the absolutely lightest wade fishing rig. I’m looking for something super light for my wife.
            I just paired a 4000 Baitrunner with an Allstar Classic saltwater 7’ medium action rod for my wife to throw. It’s the lightest feeling setup ever had for saltwater. Bc you can’t get those allstar classic rods any more, I will get another 4000 baitrunner and pair it with a 7” Falcon coastal Spinning rod.
            I have a new Curado K on the 7’6” Falcon Coastal and it’s pretty light but too long for my 5’4” wife.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
              Fishing with a couple of Career Lawmen and a Career Coast Guardsman........let's just say I'm glad, we didn't deck a shark. May be bullet holes in the bottom of Glen's boat?

Fishing the Guadalupe River outflow - that's another world!

Alligators, drum, redfish and blue cats.....all in one zone. Not many places inshore where you can mix things up like that.
              I grew up fishing this and it amazes me to this day.

Comment

Man, as far as rods go, most of the custom companies all have their own version of light rods. I’ve fished H&H for years, so my preference is their wader light and their EWX.
                When it comes to reels, I love the Lews Lite speed spools. I’ve had a couple for the past few years and they’re the best ones I’ve owned and weigh in at 5.6 ounces. Recently I tried out a buddy’s new lews Custom Lite and it’s even lighter at 4.9 ounces. Makes you giggle when you hold it on a light rod because of how little it weighs.

Comment

Waterloo carbon mag is the rod I would go with. Not sure on the reel though.

Comment

@Mexico I bet that's a nice brisk run out west today.

Comment

My laguna solo with a lews lite is hard to beat on weight. The laguna liquids are really nice and about $150. They won’t be as light as the customs but better than anything off the shelf at that price point.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        @Mexico I bet that's a nice brisk run out west today.

He’s fighting a bad wind today.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          He’s fighting a bad wind today.
                          If windy is right, NE at 15, that's gonna make for a shoreline burn on the way back

Comment

Crow Series Rods. Call Laithen and ask him about a rod. Tell him you want it built light and he will give you your options. He builds my rods and they are top notch. I can fish with any rods I want and I have Laithen build mine for me. Get one with carbon fiber grips and tell him you want the lightest blank. It won't be cheap but he builds a great rod.

Laithen Crow- 979-241-2675

Laithen is a local down here, he can probably meet up with you when you are down fishing and let you check them out. Or you can look at some of mine if you see me at the dock. I don't go with the very lightest blank he has. I am a big fan of the rod he calls the Hybrid and I like it because it is super versatile. It does great with soft plastics and topwaters and has more backbone. I get enjoying catching fish on a light action rod but when it comes to big fish I want to be able to pour the coal to them and get them in quick so I can release them in good shape. That means the blank is a slight amount heavier to get the beefier butt. It's still a very light rod but not the lightest he can make.

The Waterloo Carbon Mags are built on the same blanks Laithen uses for his lighter weight rods.

If you want cheaper he has other blanks that are great, very durable, etc but they are going to weigh more. Light rods mean expensive blanks and they will be more fragile. I can also show you some of his more durable rods, I am using them for customer rods.

I highly recommend Laithen's rods. He is a really great young man and he builds a quality rod. Once you buy from him you'll want to buy more.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              If windy is right, NE at 15, that's gonna make for a shoreline burn on the way back
                              Or just fish the other side of the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                                Crow Series Rods. Call Laithen and ask him about a rod. Tell him you want it built light and he will give you your options. He builds my rods and they are top notch. I can fish with any rods I want and I have Laithen build mine for me. Get one with carbon fiber grips and tell him you want the lightest blank. It won't be cheap but he builds a great rod.

Laithen Crow- 979-241-2675

Laithen is a local down here, he can probably meet up with you when you are down fishing and let you check them out. Or you can look at some of mine if you see me at the dock. I don't go with the very lightest blank he has. I am a big fan of the rod he calls the Hybrid and I like it because it is super versatile. It does great with soft plastics and topwaters and has more backbone. I get enjoying catching fish on a light action rod but when it comes to big fish I want to be able to pour the coal to them and get them in quick so I can release them in good shape. That means the blank is a slight amount heavier to get the beefier butt. It's still a very light rod but not the lightest he can make.

The Waterloo Carbon Mags are built on the same blanks Laithen uses for his lighter weight rods.

If you want cheaper he has other blanks that are great, very durable, etc but they are going to weigh more. Light rods mean expensive blanks and they will be more fragile. I can also show you some of his more durable rods, I am using them for customer rods.

I highly recommend Laithen's rods. He is a really great young man and he builds a quality rod. Once you buy from him you'll want to buy more.

Thanks for all the info I’ll give him a call!

Comment

Working...
                                X