Jason Garrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    September? Depending on what you read, either as of yesterday or as of Jan 14 the team don't have a coach. I think that's something to talk about.
    I lil exaggerated on my part. Just don't know what to really say until we see a new coach with some meaningful games played. Questions will be answered by JJ until then. JMO

Comment

"run exactly the same way its always been run under his ownership"

Not the first 4 years....😉

Jimmy had final say on personnel.....

Jerry has since Jimmy walked...

Nuff said IMOP

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
        He actually turned a fragile franchise into a multi billion dollar one and has helped the nfl make billions as well. Just about any coach or player wants to come to Dallas it’s the cream of the crop!
        Never said he didn't know how to make money, actually to the contrary.....

Don't know about the "coaches" part of your statement....maybe so.

Also the "fragile" part would be a bit in error. Clint Murchison's finances (best I remember) were a bit fragile and the team was coining to the end of a great, great run.

However, I THINK, if my memory serves, Jerry paid more for the Cowboys than any franchise in sports history when he bought the team in '89.
        Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-02-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I’m pretty sure the franchise was loosing something like 1million per month when he purchased? And it was Bum bright who bought from murchision, Jerry bought from bum. He got a bargain for the team. IMO he is a great business man, not so much as GM

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
            He didn't appear, he WAS....and it tore piano wire a new arse....

So he got drunk (as is apparently his norm) at the annual league meeting (at Disney World) and told Jimmy (paraphrasing, but close) "there are 500 coaches who could have won super bowls with that roster" ..... all in front of a table full of cowboy coaches, etc no less.(who he surmised were making fun of him and most probably were mocking him)

VERY shortly thereafter Jimmy walked.....

So for over 20 years, post the roster Jimmy established fading away, he's been trying to do it again.....with abject ineptness. They'd still be drafting like drunk idiots and filling the roster with anti-social reprobates if it weren't for Stephen, Will McClay, and yes, Garrett. They, somehow, got him to listen a bit. THEY are the reason there's any degree of stability and success IMOP.

Without them it'd be a real cluster.....

Jerry.is a brilliant businessman at generating eyeballs and dollarbills. I think he's a very loyal individual, to a fault, so he's not without redeeming characteristics.

However, he's turned a franchise that was as respected as any in sport into a punchline, at least in most quarters. THAT is why I can't stand him and draw a degree of perverse pleasure when they show him prune faced in the luxury box as they lose another game that they probably should have won.

IMOP, he's a classless egomaniac who claims all he wants to do is win. IMOP again, I think that if the real truth were pulled from the recesses of his brain, he's an insecure soul seeking to sign autographs, yap on radio and TV, and be THE Dallas Cowboys.

And yes, I DO think he desperately desires to win......just not for the reasons most probably believe.

And, btw, he's still working through "the 500" with no success thus far. All he needs to do is look n the mirror to locate the stumbling block....
            Jimmy had a big influence on personnel, but he also had one of the highest, if not the highest paid roster in the NFL. The Cowboys were 2 and 3 deep almost throughout the team and paid players to stay, for the most part.

Jimmy didn't do much in Miami.
            Nor have the Cowboys done much since then.
            The salary cap came along after the Cowboys run of Superbowls and after JJohnson left.
            Neither Jimmy Johnson or Jerry Jones has been able to piece the puzzle together with a limited roster rule. Seems they were always missing "a piece".

Now it would be hard to pin ONE thing on this. JJones is the lone constant factor, so it seems he may well be the problem, but with a different coaches he has had rosters that COULD have been super.

We may never really know the answer to all of these questions. Coach, GM, owner????
            If it were easy, there wouldn't be tiered football franchises, they'd all be competing for a Superbowl every year not just the power elite and upcoming newcomers every so often..

Let's just hope the next coaching staff, GM, owner combo finds the magic mix!!!!!

Comment

JJ is going to sit tight and let JG hang around until the rest of those vacant coaching positions are filled in the NFL. He's putting on a show with these "interviews" buying time while the other teams are hiring coaches, because he doesn't want JG to land a job with another team this year. He'll just take his time and let that contract expire. For some reason he values the man as a head coach way more then his worth in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                I can't listen to him for more than about 3 seconds. He's right up there with Skip and Stephen A for me.

As far as apathy goes, I got there a few seasons ago. Growing up I was die hard, could pretty much recite the 53man roster every year, the last 5 years or so I really couldn't care less if I catch the game or not. These days wether or not I see a game usually depends more on how good of a buck I have on camera than my personal schedule. Actually found myself rooting against them this year just because I want something to change.

You too huh? I was a die hard Cowboys fan during the years of the Cowboys/Steelers rivalries. My buddy was a die hard Steelers fan back then so there was a lot of smack talking back then.

Can’t say I’ve cared much for them in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                  I’m pretty sure the franchise was loosing something like 1million per month when he purchased? And it was Bum bright who bought from murchision, Jerry bought from bum. He got a bargain for the team. IMO he is a great business man, not so much as GM
                  Correct.....memory mis-served 😉

"IMO he is a great business man, not so much as GM"

Agree.....100%

However, as a literal lifelong diehard of diehards Cowboy fan dating to the 1960's, personally, I couldn't care less if he squeezes a few million out of Pepsi, negotiates a few extra billion on a television contract for himself, Dan Snyder, or any of the other .0000000000000000001% NFL owners, or saves a few bucks by using single ply tp in the crappers.at his stadium.

I'd simply like him to swallow his pride and realize he's just an average GM... ("you are what your record says you are" - Parcells)

If he'd do that (and maybe he will now) I think he WOULD have his pick of the absolute best minds in regards to EVERYthing football. (might be in the building now) THEN the franchise would have the best opportunity to climb back to where it should be and that's a franchise that's much more than "relevant" every other year.

However, I don't think there's a prayer in Hades that he'll do it. Reason being he wants, to the recesses of his soul, to be THE Dallas Cowboys.....

But that's just my opinion.....

Hope I'm wrong.....
                  Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-02-2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

The Jones Family and Jason Garrett are clearly negotiating some structure in which Mr. Garrett remains a part of the club. There's nothing else to talk about.

Let the speculation begin on Garretts new role. I have a sinking feeling about all this.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                      The Jones Family and Jason Garrett are clearly negotiating some structure in which Mr. Garrett remains a part of the club. There's nothing else to talk about.

Let the speculation begin on Garretts new role. I have a sinking feeling about all this.
                      Yep.....i think you're dead right......

I bet the other owners are b#itching up a storm behind the scenes. JJ stealing a bunch of air out of the room at playoff time by dragging this out.....hehehe

Comment

As long as people pay the crazy price for tickets and buy the team gear nothing has to change. He's raking it in. He doesn't give a crap about what the fans are saying or feeling. He doesn't have to.

Gary

Comment

I don't believe it requires three meetings to fire someone. It does take several meetings if you are in negotiations regarding a new contract. Bad sign. Very bad sign.

Comment

GM or assistant GM /Player personal Director/ JJ puppet in charge of the new Coach. He needs to just be gone. JJ will screw this up as always.

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                              GM or assistant GM /Player personal Director/ JJ puppet in charge of the new Coach. He needs to just be gone. JJ will screw this up as always.
                              100% guess but I think JG comes on board as the new GM are assistant GM.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                                100% guess but I think JG comes on board as the new GM are assistant GM.
                                Ugh, this post made my guts hurt. Going to be hard to stay engaged with this franchise if that's what's going on. If it is, I'm out.

Maybe a completely new team. The early 90s made me into a closeted Bills fan, Jim Kelly and those unis and all....

Comment

Working...
                                X