Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious question about hunting, kids, and marriage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    You were painting with a broad brush...about something you don’t know anything about...a bunch of folks trying to instill a love of a great game, and teach their kids valuable lessons about being part of a team, overcoming obstacles, and working hard to be successful. Lessons that will last then a lifetime, and apply to all aspects of their lives.

All about balance. Playing ball doesn’t mean you can’t kill deer, catch fish, float the river, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know plenty about it. I personally know people that push their children to play a sports because ( they ) loved it as a kid and believe there child should too. It makes me really sad. The same thing can be said for the outdoors.

You’re right playing ball doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the outdoors too. I was just saying from my experience with people I know they seems to spend every extra second of their lives with their kids playing some sport and never have time for themselves. I can’t grasp that, but different strokes for different folks I gues.

Comment

[QUOTE=Double-Drop;14554070]I also have several friends that say that can’t go hunting or out of town because of their wife or kids. I guess I just assume the real reason is that their wife won’t let them or will cause a fight. I just don’t get why anyone would want to be married to someone like that. I couldn’t do it. But that’s just me.
      I have been married for more than 10 years to a very understanding wife who also prefers being Outdoors over staying at home. She also grew up hunting and has a dad that hunted a ton. We have two kids 4 and 6 and although I do spend more time at home than I did before they were born, I am at the ranch either working or hunting more than 30 weekends per year. Sometimes they go, sometimes they don’t. I also made sure my wife was well aware how much time I spend outdoors long before we got married because I knew our marriage wouldn’t work if she didn’t.
      Last edited by Double-Drop; 12-03-2019, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Although I do agree with Mike D in regards to the idea he’s conveying, it’s not the same these days because most women work a full time job as well as the man. Back in the day, those women worked in the home. Taking care of the home and the kids was their job.

Comment

I have a understanding wife and a 33 year old son.. I cannot begin to tell you how many diapers that I changed in the stand and on the boat.

My wife hunted and fished with me while we were dating and after we were married up to her 9th month of pregnancy. Then when my son was born she stayed with him while I was hunting or fishing.

Then we would take my son along when we felt he was old enough and we all hunted and fished together. Still do.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
            Although I do agree with Mike D in regards to the idea he’s conveying, it’s not the same these days because most women work a full time job as well as the man. Back in the day, those women worked in the home. Taking care of the home and the kids was their job.

I always laugh at stay at home moms who talk about how long and hard they work, then as soon as their husband walks in from work she hands him the kid, orders a pizza, and hops in the bathtub...[emoji849]

Comment

Since we are all just being honest here..... after reading all these replies, it’s most likely a good thing that I don’t have a child. Atleast not in the society that we live in now days. I never had any real interest in sports as a kid. I played some school football and baseball, but I did it mainly because all my friends did. I didn’t have a love for it. My love and passion was hunting, fishing, and trying to be as close to my dad as I could. I never stopped trying to impress him and seek his approval (that’s a whole different story). Even now as an adult, I still have zero interest in sports. I do not watch it on tv like most guys do. I have no interest in going to games, even pro level games. It just doesn’t excite me. So....if I had a kid, I can assure you that all my free time (or even just a small part of it) would not be spent hauling him around non stop to the endless practices, leagues, games, and tournaments. I wouldn’t tell him he couldn’t participate if he really wanted to. I would support him in it all financially. But there is just no way I’d give up my life from 5yrs old to 18yrs old to revolve everything around sports. Now days it’s not just Jr high and high school sports. That’s not good enough anymore. They have to be involved in every sport, every league under the sun, from January to December. That’s just now how I’d choose to live. So......that vasectomy might not be a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I always laugh at stay at home moms who talk about how long and hard they work, then as soon as their husband walks in from work she hands him the kid, orders a pizza, and hops in the bathtub...[emoji849]

I'll give my wife one thing she takes it serious enough that going to work would be time off compared to staying home with the kids. Home is immaculate at all times down to baseboards and kids always 100% taken care of. My job isn't as stressful as that day in and day out. When it's that full time I have 0 issue giving up some time to give her time off.

Comment

I think there are a lot of people talking past each other on this thread. Every family is different - some spend their family time stomping around in the woods and enjoying the outdoors, some spend family time doing sports and traveling. Most of us do a combination. I can attest it is hard for an avid outdoorsman to sacrifice and stay home during hunting season because of family obligations. My suggestion for those with young kids is to project yourself into the future after your kids are gone. When you are retired, sitting in your easy chair and looking back, will you think you should have given up more of your “me time” in the woods and on the water? Will the fish you caught and the hours you spent in the stand by yourself be more important? That day is going to come faster than you can imagine.

Comment

My girls are 17 and 19... momma says go hunt.... I go hunt.

Comment

Wife told me yesterday I can’t hunt this weekend and next weekend also because my girls have cheer competitions in Corpus and San Antonio. I said that’s fine I’ll hunt all week in between and she just said ok. I have a great wife that loves to hunt with me when she can.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        In reading some of these posts I’m amazed at how women managed to raise kids “back in the day”. The men were working or farming or whatever all day every day they could and the women and kids did just fine. The greatest generation was part of that.

Women were created to bear, nurture and raise kids. Amazing how we’ve lost sight of that. The reality is fellas, they would be just fine and raise those kids whether we are around or not. I’m not saying as Dads and Grandads that we don’t need to be around because single parenthood is I believe a big part of societal problems today. But you can’t put your life completely on hold when you have a wife and kids. You still have to have your own time and interests as well.

There’s a great podcast about just that subject as well as others.

Orderofman.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Times have changed Old Timer

Comment

I remember as a young man...bar hopping and night clubbing...one of the best weekends for new scenery was opening weekend of deer season.
                          Lots of ladies enjoying a weekend without the warrior.
                          Just remembering out loud

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                            Since we are all just being honest here..... after reading all these replies, it’s most likely a good thing that I don’t have a child. Atleast not in the society that we live in now days. I never had any real interest in sports as a kid. I played some school football and baseball, but I did it mainly because all my friends did. I didn’t have a love for it. My love and passion was hunting, fishing, and trying to be as close to my dad as I could. I never stopped trying to impress him and seek his approval (that’s a whole different story). Even now as an adult, I still have zero interest in sports. I do not watch it on tv like most guys do. I have no interest in going to games, even pro level games. It just doesn’t excite me. So....if I had a kid, I can assure you that all my free time (or even just a small part of it) would not be spent hauling him around non stop to the endless practices, leagues, games, and tournaments. I wouldn’t tell him he couldn’t participate if he really wanted to. I would support him in it all financially. But there is just no way I’d give up my life from 5yrs old to 18yrs old to revolve everything around sports. Now days it’s not just Jr high and high school sports. That’s not good enough anymore. They have to be involved in every sport, every league under the sun, from January to December. That’s just now how I’d choose to live. So......that vasectomy might not be a bad idea!

You don’t really know how you would do, or how you would react, unless you have kids...you just don’t.

All of the things you mentioned are voluntary. Kids can play sports 12 months out of the year, or 1. Level of participation is up to the parents. No one has to be a one trick pony.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                              Maybe they didn’t work 40+ a week. I could never work the hours I do and care for both of my children and I will NOT ask my wife to.

That’s a family choice.

But that wasn’t my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntz View Post
                                My wife is the most understanding woman in the world! When we married 25 years ago I did not bow hunt. Couple of years into the marriage and I started bowhunting... We were married on 9/29 so for the most part, I am in a tree on our anniversary every year and she never ever mentions it. She knows its my passion and I am so thankful that she understands and tolerates it.

I have the same anniversary, but I only get every other opener! Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X