Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious question about hunting, kids, and marriage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife and I adopted two girls this year, and I’m blessed that she’s okay with me making the 4 hour drive to the lease just about whenever I want. I’ve been three times already, but I canceled for next weekend because I killed my buck over thanksgiving (when I was at the lease for 5 days). I’ll also go for a week after Christmas while she’s at the in-laws’ house with the girls. That said, if she wasn’t okay with me leaving as much as I do it would certainly be my obligation to put my family first. If you choose to get married and have kids, you’re responsible for keeping them happy, even if it means limiting your hunting some to put them first.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      As long as a person spends time with their family I don't think it is an issue. Take them hunting, go sit at the ball field, whatever. I let my kids choose if they wanted to play sports and how competitive they wanted to be. My oldest was on the football team but it was not his passion. My youngest is consumed with baseball. I support both of them. Sure I could go hunt/fish but not only would the kids know I was selfish I would miss out on time I could have spent with them. I will never tell a man what to do with his time- I also don't want another man questioning me for spending time at the baseball fields across this nation with my kid. I do know that the relationship I have with my kids did not happen because I was out of town by myself hunting or fishing.
      My thoughts exactly.

Comment

If you're to busy to hunt, you're to busy.

Comment

Im 39 have 3 kids a wife and 2 pointers. I hunt 3 days a week, i love my wife, i take at least one kid w me if not 2 sometimes. My 8 yr old can prob out hunt most guys on here. He goes hard. I take my kids w me to give my wife a break from the kids. Im fortunate to be able to have my wife be a stay at home mom. When i take the kids, this gives her some much needed alone time. Im also fortunate that we live where we can access public land in mins without having to drive. Sometimes my hunting does get on my wifes nerves, but then its time to take a break and realize im lucky to be able to do what i do do. You have to balance everything. I take my wife alot to watch the sunset w the dogs and tell her thank you for watching our boys while i work. As far as seeing friends. Peoples lifes get flat out busy. You have to take the time to go see some one, even if its to stop by and say hi. Forget texting, call your buddies and catch up. Lifes short and goes by way to fast when you have kids. I try to enjoy all my moments of everything.

Comment

I’m 38 with no kids with a wife who travels for work. We get to spend the first 5 days together starting Friday for the first time since opening weekend of rifle season.

I’ve seen her in passing a day or two here and there but most times I leave the dogs in the am and she gets home in the afternoon with a dog sitter in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm 43, married, and we have a 13yo son. My wife and I both have full time jobs that take more than the usual 40hr week. Our son is involved in all kinds of things and a lot of weekends are taken up with his activities. I wouldn't miss those for anything. I've hunted and fished enough growing up, that if I need to miss a few weekends a year, all it does is help the animal population. He and I hunt/fish as much as possible and he loves them both.

Comment

All of the above. Some make excuses, some have wives that nag constantly and don't let them do anything and then some just work too much to hunt or fish very often.

Just in my group of hunting/fishing buddies that I have ran with since middle school one just doesn't like to leave the house(no wife or kids). He would honestly rather stay home now than do just about anything else. Two are married. One of them has a nagging wife who never lets him do anything. He finally gave in to paying for her and her sister to go on a spa retreat one long weekend a year so that he could go fishing that same weekend. One weekend a year are all the hobbies he gets. The other married guy has a 4 month old kid. He's been in the stand 4 nights a week this season despite the wife and kid. He married a good one.

And then some people honestly work too much to hunt very often. I don't know too many men in rural Texas who work 40 hours a week and get two days to go hunting every week anymore.

Comment

I think being a hunter is a hard life that most guys are to lazy to put in the time for... I go hard from September to January, during the week I try to work my tail off at work, being a great dad and great husband so I can be in a blind on Saturday. I make sure to take my kids a couple of times during the season to give my wife a break... come January she’s pretty tired of me leaving but deals with it. Come the off season I start making up for any lost time and kissing up as much as I can so she’s happy come next hunting season. I will be honest when I describe my life to guys at work they tell me that doesn’t sound fun at all and I laugh cuz I think I’m the luckiest guy in the world! I think passionate hunters are special breed and thank God everyday HE gave me that passion!

Comment

How many of you all like their parents and want to spend time with them & even live around them?

I was very fortunate when it came to my parents. I got more than enough love & attention growing up. Selfish would not be a proper thing to call either one of my parents. My first job out of college took me a few hours away from home - to a place that was really better, in almost every aspect, than home. However, when we had kids, my wife & I both agreed that our children would really be missing out if we didn't live near my parents and our kids couldn't see them frequently. Moved home, with no regrets.

My wife's parents, on the other hand, were both very selfish. The kids were not a priority. Her father died several years ago and I'd say the saddest part of that for my wife was that now my wife knew her father would Never be more than just someone she saw just a few times a year. I'm pretty sure she doesn't miss him. And she is completely fine with seeing her mother once a year - less would be fine too.

Bottom line is, you can't be a crappy parent and expect your kids to want to have anything to do with you, later in life, when they have a choice.

Just food for though - not accusing anybody of anything.

But as they say - 'if the shoe fits, buy the dress to'!

Comment

Perfect Example for this Threat:

I've got a good friend that bowhunts with me every year in the panhandle. He's married and has 2 young boys. Works about 60 hours during the week and sometimes way more. This year he has 2 leases and still made the time to drive 8 hours one way and hunt for 3 days. We had originally scheduled to start hunting Thursday evening but he had forgot about taking the kids trick or treating so we started hunting Friday evening instead. We didn't have any luck in those 3 days so he's coming back December 27th. Conclusion, he loves it and that's why I like hunting with him. He still spends plenty of time with wife and kids but still gets reasonable time to hunt and fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                        Perfect Example for this Threat:

I've got a good friend that bowhunts with me every year in the panhandle. He's married and has 2 young boys. Works about 60 hours during the week and sometimes way more. This year he has 2 leases and still made the time to drive 8 hours one way and hunt for 3 days. We had originally scheduled to start hunting Thursday evening but he had forgot about taking the kids trick or treating so we started hunting Friday evening instead. We didn't have any luck in those 3 days so he's coming back December 27th. Conclusion, he loves it and that's why I like hunting with him. He still spends plenty of time with wife and kids but still gets reasonable time to hunt and fish.
                        Yep. Again you will find a way if you want to do it...... and have a great wife!

Otherwise, ALOT of people went to the wrong wedding who live their life thru their wife

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Herein lies your answer.
                          Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm in the depends on the situation crowd. I am 51. Married 30 years. 3 boys. 28,27, and 21.

Before marriage hunt/fish whenever I wanted.

After marriage hunt/fish whenever I wanted.

When we had two sons ages 2 and 1 I could hunt/fish whenever I wanted, but them rascals were a handful. I chose to slow the hunting a little to give wife some breaks.

When they hit 5 and 4 hunt/fish whenever I wanted and they were usually with me they baby with momma.

When the oldest two hit around 7/8 they got interested in all sorts of stuff. Sports, bike racing, etc. That demanded a lot of time. I chose how to juggle time between hunting and supporting them at their events.

When they became teens - hunt/fish whenever I wanted. Juggle around football games on Friday nights at times.

My wife does not care much about hunting at all. Even though she grew up in a hunting family. Just not her thing. She never told me I could not go. However, I also could sense when it wasn't particularly pleasing (when the boys were toddlers). You have to manage that dynamic particular to your own marriage.

Here is the good news !!!! Now my wife prays they extend hunting season longer and begs me to go hunting whenever I can. Maybe I should put a trail cam up at the house when I'm gone......not really! She is the greatest wife, awesome mom, and my best friend.

Point is - It is different for everyone. I have seen them all with buddies over the years. I think each situation is manageable in a loving marriage.

Comment

Working...
                            X