Putting a Dog Down (having issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
    We don't put grandpa down cause our quality of life will be pretty much in the toilet living in the penal system, if I was in the same shape as my lacy was this summer I'd be honored to go the way he did, looking out over the hunting field laying next to loved ones wishing we were going again.
    Agreed. Putting an animal down when it has lost its ability to feed, go to the bathroom or move is an act of kindness that we pet owners suffer in order to have them avoid living in pain. To force a domesticated animal to die "naturally" IMO is doing that animal a disservice...and yes I wish we as humans had the legal ability to allow others to help us die in a dignified manner.

To the OP, as others have said you will know when you know but I commend you on at least keeping your pet's comfort and quality of life in the forefront of your decision making. I've had to make that hard choice a few times and know exactly what you're going through
    Last edited by JonBoy; 11-06-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I hate that for you man. They give you unconditional love though, and have to be shown that when it’s time. That said, I’ll be a basket case when my JRT has to go. He’s ten, and my shadow. Goes with me almost everywhere. I can’t even stand the thought of it, but I know it will come. My prayers.

Comment

One of the hardest things to go through. So sorry.

Comment

Just went through this. My 12 year old black lab had liver and pancreatic cancer and we never knew until he just couldn’t get up one day. I laid on the floor and begged him to but he just couldn’t do it. I took him to the vet and found all this cancer stuff out. He told me it was time to make that dreaded decision and that he couldn’t be helped. Told wife to come up to the vet and we said our goodbyes and one last belly rub. Dr gave him the “juice” and he just was gone peaceful and quick like. I consider myself a pretty strong guy when it comes to stuff like this but I **** near lost it. He was my shadow. All he wanted to do was be by my side. I finally teared up when I was digging him a hole out under a nice shade tree on the back of our place. I don’t wish it on anybody but it’s part of life. The time we have with good pups like that makes it worth the pain in the end. I’ll miss that dog a whole lot. The Lord blessed us when he gave us good boys. [emoji240]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Prayers for you, your family, and your 4 legged best friend.

Comment

Feel for you Brother!

I've avoided reading your OP because of what we had to do today.

My wife's and my 14 year old Weenie Dog went to the rainbow bridge this afternoon. Susan has had him since he was a pup and it has really hit her hard. I inherited him when we got married, but Lord knows I love that little dog.

It's never easy but when it's time, it's time so they don't suffer. Oscar Meyer was his name and I wanted to post the Rainbow Bridge as it helped me when I lost Kuma a couple of years past.

God Bless and think of the good times whatever you end up doing.....
              Attached Files

Comment

Ask youself this , do you want her to be in pain and remember her that way ? Yes its a hard decision to make but we do it because we are selfish. Theres no shame in crying over a loved companion.

Comment

I’m so very sorry, one of the hardest things we will have to do. I’m tearing up just reading this and thinking of my best friend “Hunter” that I had to do the same thing almost a year ago. Prayers sent

Comment

Sorry to hear this Chuy.

Comment

Sorry bud, hope all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                        We don't put grandpa down cause our quality of life will be pretty much in the toilet living in the penal system, if I was in the same shape as my lacy was this summer I'd be honored to go the way he did, looking out over the hunting field laying next to loved ones wishing we were going again.
                        Hell I hope my family loves me enough to put me down when it's time. When I can't hunt, fish and be of use to others, much less suffering, I need to be put down.

Gary

Comment

OP, like everyone here, my heart goes out to you. The worse feeling in the world is having to make the decision to give our friends the ultimate healing.

You're doing or did the right thing by getting the vet there. Just remind yourself she is not well and the time came.

I've got two dogs. One is 11 and the other we figure is going on 2. Most of the pups I've lost got to live out to their old age. Lost one 2 years ago at 4 years old. Still hurts that she was gone to soon.

The bottom line is they come to us and become a part of our family. We know going in the day is going to come that we have to make a decision that is in their best interest.

You did that and did right by your friend.

Prayer sent for your heart and your family who are hurting.

May the Lord reunite us all with our pets in heaven.

Comment

Sorry to hear buddy. Im certain you made the right choice for your pup. Im going through the same thing right now with my 13 yr old pup. Im hoping she rebounds in the next couple weeks or it's going to start getting down to making a hard decision. God's been getting an overload from me on this one.
                            Last edited by rtp; 11-06-2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I hate this thread!

My condolences to Chuy and his best friend.

I hate this thread, because my BF border collie is only 3yo. I am 59. I hope I go first, because I don't want to do that to him.

Comment

Sorry to hear you going through this. So tough man, I’ve been through it and it tore me up. Thoughts are with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X