No announcement yet.

Putting a Dog Down (having issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put my 13 year old dog that was with me 24/7 three days ago.

Just ripped my heart out. I feel for your tough decision.

Comment

one of the hardest decisions in life that will make a grown man cry like a baby

having to bury a pet compounds the pain and tears tenfold

sending you some prayers and support hermano

Comment

My Boykin had mouth cancer.
        It’s a miserable decision but one of the most humane and best things you can do for a sick pet. She died peacefully, with me and I knew she wasn’t suffering anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What I tell my clients,

No one can truly make that decision for you except you and and your family. But, when you start see that your pet has a decreased quality of life at home, we need to start making the best decision for them. Euthanasia is not quitting on them, I see it as the ultimate show of love because we love them enough to let them go and not have to feel that pain and suffering anymore.

Recently, I, myself, had to euthanize our family chihuahua that we’ve had since I was in high school. One of the hardest things I’ve ever done, but I didn’t want to keep watching her slowly waste away and chose to let her pass with some dignity.
          Last edited by BigRed323; 11-05-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

My heart breaks for you. I've had a lot of great dogs and every single one of them was heartbreaking to lose.

I found the best way to help us both handle those last moments. Most of the time she'll tell you it is time. She will look at you, put her paw on you, sigh, you will see she is tired. Unfortunately, sometimes they do not tell you but you will know it is time.

Plan ahead - either plan to go to the vet or have the vet come out but give yourself 3-7 days to prepare. Do you want the vet to take the body or do you want to bury her or cremate her? If you do the latter two, what are you going to put her in?

A day or 2 or 3 or whatever before, spend the time doing her favorites things. Take pictures of her being happy. Tell yourself your good stories, relive those memories, write them down.

The day of, make sure she is comfortable. Hold her, hug her. Stroke her and calm her. I can rub their special spot and practically put them in a trance. Keep holding her while the vet does their thing and hold her for as long as you want. Most of the time the vet will leave you alone.

When you are ready you can go through the motions to her final resting place. It is a lot easier if you already have a plan.

Take time to grieve with her and after she is gone. Post on TBH so we can all offer our hugs and love and support. We are here for you and we've all been through it.

Comment

I think it's time. My poor baby girl is going home tonight. Just looked at her mouth again and it's even worse than the photo below. I freaking hate this.

Prayers appreciated.

Comment

Prayers and hugs, Chuy!

Comment

Is she happy?
                  Is she active?
                  Can she eat and use the bathroom?

IMO if she can do that give her time. I am in pain all day everyday. Some days are better than others.

But when i am no longer happy, able to do the things i enjoy, or handle my "business" put me out to the pasture.

Comment

OP, I can't honestly see much from that photo. I like JLP's comment, make a list of 3-5 things she loves. Once she can't do those, you know its time.

That said, a friend had to put his Malamute down last night for cancer on his back. It burst, and was just a matter of time until infection. So really only you two know when it's time.

Comment

I feel for you.

Comment

In your heart, you know what needs to be and should be done. I had to do it last January.

Comment

its a tough decision but you gotta think if it is fair to the dog. I was was faced with the same situation last year and will be again soon with my 14 yr lab.
                          It sucks, its hard and upsetting because we all love our dogs like one of the family.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            OP, I can't honestly see much from that photo. I like JLP's comment, make a list of 3-5 things she loves. Once she can't do those, you know its time.

That said, a friend had to put his Malamute down last night for cancer on his back. It burst, and was just a matter of time until infection. So really only you two know when it's time.

Ya that's what's going on right now, but in her lower jaw.

Made her a slab of fajitas for lunch.

We are spending the afternoon on the porch, watching TV and catching up on some cuddles.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                              Give the dog every possible chance you can. If you don’t, you’ll always have regret. We don’t make the choice to “put grandpa down” when he gets old and in bad shape. Why do we do it when it comes to dogs? Do all you can and keep her comfortable. Let things happen naturally.
                              I was thinking about our prior Lab again last night, we had her put down because she basically lost all her senses and most of her mobility, and you could tell she felt terrible. She was 11 yrs old. I've had 2nd thoughts ever since then and after reading your statement here, I still wonder if we really gave her every chance she deserved, maybe we should've just waited and kept her at home, and just held her, comfort her, let her know we there for her even more than we did. We all loved her dearly and it was heart-breaking to take her to the vet that day. I believe her time was near anyway but still wonder if we should've done just a little more ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
                                Ya that's what's going on right now, but in her lower jaw.

Made her a slab of fajitas for lunch.

We are spending the afternoon on the porch, watching TV and catching up on some cuddles.
                                Ahh man, breaks my heart to hear that. Good luck with everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X