Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

New Truck Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just hit 100,000 miles on my Ford v6 eco boost. I haven't had any issues as of yet. I get fairly good MPG, 23 seems to be the average. It is the only brand new truck I have ever purchased and I will drive it until it literally can't be fixed just like I did my 98 Ford f150.

Honestly everything comes down to personal choice. It seems to me that brands have closed the gap in performance with each other and its more of a detail thing. That is just my opinion though.

Comment

I personally drive a 2014 GMC Sierra and love the hell outta that truck. It's got the 5.3 so I'll be cruising on the highway and then boom now I'm in V4 mode getting 25 mpg going 80+ mph. I drove it to and from Colorado Springs this summer with no issues and got an average of 26 mpg goin 75 the whole way back and it pulls great as well. I think there is a high chance that you got a lemon. On the other hand, I had buddy a couple years back that had a 2014 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 and the truck was in the shop once a month until he sold it and got a 2016 with the 6.2. No issues with that one so far.

Comment

I am looking too. It’s between a F-150 KR with 3.5 eco, the F150 KR diesel, or Nissan Titan.
        The Titan is a lot cheaper

Comment

My next truck will be a tundra. Without the maxcare I had I would have been in one a while ago. Mines a 2012 ram 1500 lone star with hemi.
          150k has new camshaft put in due to collapsing lifter eating a lobe away in cam.(Very common on dodge hemis $4700 I didn’t have to pay with extended warranty)
          2 new radios
          2 new dash panels
          Transmission work at 92k
          New driveshaft due to not being balanced from factory
          New LED lights in mirror

Comment

Love my 18 5.3 Z71. 30k and no issues yet. Did a 3.5 lift and 33s, average about 15mpg but i dont go under 80 most time time.. Rides good, comfortable, sounds amazing with exahust. Hope i don't run into the issues you've been having.
            I guess only thing I can say negative is it doesn't like trailers...7mpg pulling my 25' RV at 65mph.

You should check out the new 2020 GM 1500s with the 3.0 Duramax!

Comment

I'm enjoying my 2019 Ford F150 crew cab 4x4 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. I've only had it for 12K miles though so can't speak to long term reliability. So far so good. Not one complaint.

I should add that they are really dealing on these trucks. If I had waited, I could have saved some money. I'm wondering if they are expecting sales of the ecodiesels to rise and the gassers to fall and just trying to clear inventory?

Comment

I’ve owned 7 GMs in a row. I just bought a new 2019 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road. This was based on having to put transmissions in 2 of last 3 GMs at 125k. Just traded my 2011 with 257k on it but I wouldn’t want to add up the repairs over last 8 years. I was looking for something more reliable and partially based my decision on the mostly repair free 2009 Sequoya my wife has with 240k currently. I only have 3,000 miles so far on it but like what I see so for. FYI, my real world mileage is 16.5-17.5 HWY and 13.5-15.5 CITY so far

Comment

My dad was in the same boat with his last two GMC's.

He switched over to a F-250 with the 6.2L gas motor - 43k out the door for an XLT, 4WD

He was between the Raptor (I drive a 14'), the TRD Pro, and a King Ranch F250 originally. The gas 6.2 impressed him and he decided he didn't need leather. After driving it I think it might be my next truck as well.

Comment

I'm on my second Tundra in 8 years, both 5.7L 4x4 SR5 CrewMax's. I've got 15mpg overall average over the last 20,000 miles. This is considering all of the idling in the summer for the fam and probably 200-250 miles per month pulling 18' BigTex with Teryx4 and RZR 170 plus about 500# of gear, mpg drops to 11-13 while towing. Empty its not uncommon to get a 16-17 mpg tank average if driving on highway only. I'm okay with the fact that the platform hasn't changed in over a decade, better left alone IMO. That being said, if I could afford an F-250, or 350, diesel I would have one. Great trucks. I'm not knocking anyone else for driving anything else, just providing insight on my experience with the Tundra. The GM at Family Toyota of Burleson is a family friend so he takes care of us, and anyone we send his way, personally. This also helps.

OP, feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk to him and I'll put you in touch.

Comment

I’m on my 4th GM half ton from the 14’-18’ generation. I’ve had 3 - 2015 Chevy 1500s, and now currently have a 2018 Sierra 1500. All 4 have been Crew cab 5.3s. I have 108k miles on my current Sierra. My dad has a 2017 Tundra Crew max with 115k miles on it, and traded a 2014 Tundra Crewmax with 160k in for the 2017. I drove his 14’ a lot, and mostly had trailers behind it. Haven’t been in his 17’ much, but just this past weekend I hooked it up to my new 20’ flatbed with 7ks on it. Man I forgot how much nicer the Tundra is with a trailer behind it than the 5.3 GMs. If I had to have a half ton that the company wasn’t paying for then I’d have a Tundra. Just a much better built truck IMO, and they pull a lot nicer.

Comment

I'm driving a 12yr old Tundra CrewMax TRD 4x4. Bought it new. Speedometer just hit 180k miles and I've maybe put $3000 of scheduled maintenance into the vehicle and replaced some minor front suspension parts. That's it! The brakes have been done 3-4 times throughout it's life and I'm fixing to buy my 4th set of tires (I think). There's no doubt it's the best truck I've ever owned. Yes, I'm up to like 11.5 mpg now that the engine is broke in , but that's with a 3/1 lift and 35's on it. It's never been under a strenuous load, just periodic trips pulling a Mule and a 12' rv a couple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          any truck is fine, you will get opinions all over the place.

If it was me I would fix the transmission, a WHOLE lot cheaper than a new truck
                          GM has been crap for a long while now. I'd go look at a F-150/250 or get a Tundra. I'm still driving my 2002 Tundra TRD, and you see the older model Tundra's still on the road all the time, and you see a ton of the newer models. Toyota makes a good product. If I wasn't getting a Toyota, it would be a Ford.

Comment

I looked at all the half tons when I was shopping. I chose the one I liked best which was the Tundra. I liked the way the 5.7 drove. The 5.0/10spd ford and 5.3 gm seemed like dogs in comparison. The dodge seemed nice but wasn't what I wanted. I can get 18 mpg on the highway. Pulling a trailer at 75 I get 13. I guess that's a deal breaker for some but to me it's worth it to have something I enjoy driving. I'm not brand loyal by any means. They are all great and all junk in their own ways. Buy the one that tickles your fancy.

Comment

Wouldn't happen to be Dustin, would it???? Hes great guy, wife went to HS with him and we all went to tech.

Originally posted by gmagsdad View Post
                              I'm on my second Tundra in 8 years, both 5.7L 4x4 SR5 CrewMax's. I've got 15mpg overall average over the last 20,000 miles. This is considering all of the idling in the summer for the fam and probably 200-250 miles per month pulling 18' BigTex with Teryx4 and RZR 170 plus about 500# of gear, mpg drops to 11-13 while towing. Empty its not uncommon to get a 16-17 mpg tank average if driving on highway only. I'm okay with the fact that the platform hasn't changed in over a decade, better left alone IMO. That being said, if I could afford an F-250, or 350, diesel I would have one. Great trucks. I'm not knocking anyone else for driving anything else, just providing insight on my experience with the Tundra. The GM at Family Toyota of Burleson is a family friend so he takes care of us, and anyone we send his way, personally. This also helps.

OP, feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk to him and I'll put you in touch.

Comment

Yessir! Thats awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X