Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do folks insist on saying...."he's not my biggest deer" or.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    Hope you dont get old brother. If you like to hunt and cant because of an injury, there aint many options.
    I am old sir, just turned 41 last week! I fairly healthy and own a crossbow and don't have any issues with using one, they are fun to shoot. I will probably have it with me a few times this year.

I'm just going along with OP about people justifying why they killed a deer or what they killed it with. I've probably done it in the past but now that I'm older I just don't give a dang what people think

Comment

Man-- seems like all I'm seeing today is "best ever" threads.

My sample size is limited, but this seems like a Don Quixote moment.

Comment

Too many Monday morning Quarter Back's.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          Goes along with the rifle or crossbow kills that get justified because of the ever present "bad shoulder."
          The crossbow one kind of confuses me because it takes some **** shoulder strength to cock one of those suckers

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            I am old sir, just turned 41 last week! I fairly healthy and own a crossbow and don't have any issues with using one, they are fun to shoot. I will probably have it with me a few times this year.

I'm just going along with OP about people justifying why they killed a deer or what they killed it with. I've probably done it in the past but now that I'm older I just don't give a dang what people think
            I’ve had to use a crossbow on several hunts this year. I hate it but I got to play the hand I was dealt.

I have about quit posting any hunts or fishing trips on here, but I do send pics to my TBH friends.

Comment

A bunch of bullies on this thread

Comment

Because the goal of hunting big bucks is to kill your biggest ever, right?

So when a hunter acknowledges that he didn't achieve that goal, but he is still happy with the results, is that bad?

Comment

Its almost rifle season!!! Can I get a hail ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                    Because the number of judgmental Richard's on this site has grown exponentially.
                    And Smart is not exempt. What an arrogant thread he's started.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                      Its almost rifle season!!! Can I get a hail ya!
                      Second worst day of the year. Worst being last day of season.

Comment

Here's the viewpoint from a relatively new hunter...

I haven't said "it's not my biggest," but I have said "we don't have any monsters out on our lease." I've said that to folks because of all the high fenced giants that can barely hold their heads up off the ground that I see.

People also want to present themselves in the best light. If I talk to anyone about hunting, they always show their biggest deer. You want people to see you at your best, so you show them your best, which might be what you shot this year, and the biggest one in your life maybe 6 years ago. No one has every met a fellow hunter and said, "This is the one I shot this year, and I shot this 6 point that was 14" spread 4 years ago." People will always present their best.

It also might be a memory thing. Maybe shooting any good deer will bring them back to the time when they shot their best. I think we could all agree hunting is an addiction. Perhaps we're all chasing the dragon and it's a good reminder that "this deer I'm telling you about is good, but not my best..."

Plus, "big" and "best" are relative terms. I shot a deer about 10 days ago, was a good deer to me, and I had a dog tracker come out. Why? The deer meant more to me as my 2nd bow kill (turns out it wasn't a kill at all) and I wanted the meat. The owner of the dogs made a comment, "This must be a really big deer." I guess he assumed I wouldn't be paying to have someone come out to look for a deer that wasn't as impressive. I ended up telling him that it was sentimental to me as my 2nd kill and that I wanted the meat.

All that and I think if I shot a deer that wasn't that impressive and didn't have a neat story, I may pass on a write up due to what was mentioned early...all the "Judgmental Richard's," as someone eloquently described earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                          Second worst day of the year. Worst being last day of season.
                          Agree 100%! Dang gun hunters!

Comment

This

Because the number of judgmental Richard's on this site has grown exponentially.
                            This right here.

Comment

I'm not judging but It's Richard Noggins

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X