First Lion Encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Lion Encounter

Here's a Monday morning story from this weekend.

Two buddies and I decided to do a little calling this past weekend on some new property. From what the land owners have been telling me, a few calves have came up missing over the past few weeks. Of course I thought coyotes, and so did they..

We started the first stand at around 11pm. Nothing but grey fox! I mean 5-6 at a time! It was a blast, but no coyotes. Shoot, haven't even heard any howls or anything which I thought was odd.

Second stand same thing, fox fox and more fox. We went to the third stand and finally drew a blank. Figured we have shot enough on that side of the property we needed to go to the other side.

Fourth stand was in a cow pasture. I bet there was 20 baby calves on the ground here. By the time we got parked and set up, the wind changed directions. I jumped back in the truck and turned it around to get set up better for down wind. At this time it was about 1AM.

Turned the call on rabbit destress, real low, and a slow destress sound to warm up the stand. About a minute went by and I decided to shine upwind just to see.

EYES! about 200 yards out, running the outside pasture line. But it was a weird run, more like a trot. Calf like IMO, but too fast. Something wasn't adding up. We run red lights so the eyes come out great but cant see much body until they are closer. I nudged my buddy to shine his as well so I could get a better picture of what it was.

LION! HUGE!!! But he bolted into a low spot just right on the edge of the pasture. Buddy and I looked at each other like we seen a ghost! We had a lion come into the call then disappear..

We sat on this stand for almost an hour, waiting for another chance. Finally we seen eyes in a tree in the direction the cat was going. But it looked more coon like in the scope. Once again, couldn't get a outline of the body, just seen eyes.

I had the slack out of my trigger when my buddy told me, its a coon... Don't shoot, we have a cat in the area you'll scare it off with the shot. I agreed and lifted...

Finally we called it quits, but I wanted to walk over to the last time I seen the cat to see if I could get a track for a picture. I took my 9mm and a white flashlight, mainly just for snakes.. I got up to the area it was seen last and just had a weird feeling. My hair on the back of my neck was standing up, and I just so happened to shine the tree that the "coon" was seen in.

LION! He was watching me from about 80 yards away. I seen his whole outline of his body, tail, everything. I froze like someone had a gun to my head. Soon as my light hit him, he jumped out and hauled through the brush!

I still cant believe it, but we are going to try this weekend again with some new calls. I know they have a huge radius but knowing there is a cat there, I cant not go try for it haha.

Hope yall enjoy the story, chime in with yalls experiences.

Nothing like that feeling of hair standing up on your back and being watched by something.

Cool story, hopefully he sticks around and you can get some pics but I bet they learn pretty quick to the calling. Be a good place to set up a trail camera near a water hole.

Comment

Great story and too bad you didn't get him. You really need a better red light if you can't see a mountain lion clearly at 200 yards. Our Coyote Cannon light in Red will easily let you identify at 400 yards and under the right conditions we have been able to identify out to 650 yards as the light actually shines over 1050 yards in Red. It does sound though like the lion is light shy and you may want to go after him with Thermal or Night Vision. Good luck and hope you get another crack at him.

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Was this around Bangs?

Comment

thats awesome! hope you get him!

Comment

Im sure yall were quite surprised!

Comment

Cool story. I'm sure that rancher would like to see your success pay off. Good luck on future hunts for it.

Comment

Crazy story man. Good luck!!

Comment

Really cool story, I am not familiar with that area but are they common in that area?

Comment

Yikes. Don't end up kitty chow. You already gave it one chance. I don't want to read about you getting torn apart limb to limb

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                        Really cool story, I am not familiar with that area but are they common in that area?
                        Not at all, I haven't heard about one ever in my area. Not sure if any have even been killed..

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                          Was this around Bangs?
                          Yes sir

Comment

That’s awesome you seen one. Similar experience happened to a buddy of mine. He knew one was in the area, he stared off with typical sets of prey distress and the lion came in. Much like yours it bolted off, so he switched it up to female lion in heat and it ended up coming back like a rocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've seen many a cougar's eyes glowing in the dark. Most of the time its was around 2 am after the bar closed. Scary as heck way back in the back of a dark parking lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X