No announcement yet.

Weddings? Who pays????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My personal belief is if this is going to be the deciding factor of them having a successful marriage I would rather see it fail at this point. When I got married many years ago we followed tradition. Her family paid for the wedding and mine paid for the rehearsal dinner and flowers. Good luck

Comment

My wife and I paid for ours, I bought her ring and dress, my wife was raised by her grand parents and only her grandpa was still alive , we were together 9 years before we got married I was 41, I’ve seen other friends of ours just have a simple wedding and take any money from either set of parents or friends and use it for a house/land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry if this was posted already

Comment

Originally posted by Thayden2 View Post
          lolololol What a crock of crap

Comment

You know your finances, if you have a set budget, stick to it. My FIL gave $5000 and said use it however you want, but that's all that was coming out of his pocket.
            Wedding cost are stupid crazy now and the days of having one big $20,000 event is ridiculous for 1 night.
            If you do open bar, just cover it for 2 hours say 8-10 pm.
            Just do finger foods like, meatballs, cheese rolls, etc. Full sit down meals hardly get served hot and people will just complain about the catering later.
            And if wedding is during hunting season, tell them to change the date!!!

Comment

There's something to be said for offering up camels, goats, water buffalo.
              Last edited by Chew; 09-30-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I paid for the brisket, weiners, and buns. She paid for the DJ and made sure everyone kept the dogs in their truck til we left.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin4D View Post
                  Don’t agree with this line of thinking. The last thing I would want, if I can help it, is for my child and spouse to have a bunch wedding debt when starting their new life together. They may very well be mature enough to get married, but maybe not financially “mature”, which I would think is normally the case.
                  Sorry but this kind of parenting is exactly why it takes so long for kids to grow up these days.

Comment

As shown by the number of responses, there's just too many variables at play.

Sure, it's tradition for the bride's family to pay for the wedding and the groom's to pay for the rehearsal dinner. With that said, I'd be willing to bet, the average amount paid for a wedding as a percentage of total income probably is much higher today than it was 30 plus years ago. I know my folks along with many back in the day, had a wedding in a local church and reception at the in-laws house. It was a simpler time for the average family.

I do think it's a bit tacky for a bride's family to straight up expect sharing of expenses. However, I also think there are many circumstances that should warrant the groom's family to at least offer to help out. For example, what if the groom's family is much larger and they are insistent on inviting everyone? Does that not increase Food & Beverage costs or perhaps even dictate the size of venue? That is just one of many examples.

For the OP; it really sounds like all parties involved need to sit down and have a discussion in order clearing align expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                      Sorry but this kind of parenting is exactly why it takes so long for kids to grow up these days.

So for the last 150 years or so we have been wrong by providing for our kids getting married?

Comment

My wifes parents paid for everything including the rehearsal dinner to the tune of 6 figures. This is what her mom wanted to do. It really was more about her mom and moms friends than our wedding. Both of us knew how it was going to be from the beginning. My wife and I truly had maybe 100 friends and family of the 500 or so invited. Huge reception in a very swanky place. My parents could not afford any of this as we have always been a family that lived paycheck to paycheck. My parents did give us money for the honeymoon. My parents did however pay for both of my sisters weddings. I say all of this to say it really depends on how you are financially. If they are struggling and need a little help and you have the means to do it why not. Just my opinion take it as it is.

Comment

Tough one.. I’d probably pay X amount for them to use it for the wedding or stick it in the bank.. it’s one thing splitting a $10,000 but it’s another splitting a $50,000.. it would be easier for me paying for my daughters wedding than it would my son.. prob a double standard but that’s just the way I feel, however I would contribute the same amount if everyone was doing right..

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                            He might not know about it. Too much time in the swamp being a Duckologist...

I know I'll not put it up wit a females BS. That's why several had to be put out. Go find you a weenie boy if you want power and control. Ain't happenin in Duckos world

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                              Anyone that lets some female "hold the power" is a dumb A

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                              I know I'll not put it up wit a females BS. That's why several had to be put out. Go find you a weenie boy if you want power and control. Ain't happenin in Duckos world

I think I'm picking up what you're putting down.... Welcome to the fire and good to see hunting is expanding across its traditional demographic. We need more diversity around here..

I kid I kid

Comment

My wife and I got married right after college. Her mom was dirt poor. My parents didn’t have a ton of money. Her mom paid for half of her dress. My parents paid rehearsal (small wedding party). My wife and I paid for flowers, photographer, food. It was a simple church wedding and reception. We’re still married and financially, it was the best decision we ever made.

We’ve been to some really expensive weddings recently and they feel generic and cookie cutter to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X