Weddings? Who pays????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
    I paid for everything on mine. Wedding, ring, her dress, rehearsal dinner, reception, and the **** honeymoon! She hasn’t stopped freeloading ever since lol.
    Having met you as well as having seen photos of your better half, you’re still waaaaaaay ahead in that deal

Comment

Mail order brides from China don't need big weddings.

Comment

My opinion is if you pay 1/2 you should have say up front in the cost. Not after the fact. That said, 10K is still a lot of money, but not in the extravagant range. Does that include splitting the rehearsal and honeymoon?

Comment

We got married long ago (1985) and were the first of my college friends to marry. Ours was the traditional 'bride's family pays for wedding, groom's for rehearsal'.
          Shortly after we married, the now common 'tradition' of the reception DINNER started up (for ours, there was cake and visiting and that's it - it was what everyone did). So, wedding costs started sky-rocketing when you have 'not fancy' dinners starting around $80/head.
          So, I still think that the bride's family should pay for the entire wedding (flowers, invitations, etc.) because it is all about the bride. The groom's family pays the rehearsal dinner. The reception dinner, if there is one, should be split based on what percentage each side invites.

Comment

I have three boys.

Im sticking with the traditional route Depending on what bride wants and how fancy she wants it, brides family pays. Now my folks did pay for the rehearsal dinner and the honeymoon.

My lovely bride and her family (well the women in her family)..wanted a fairy tale wedding and reception. Which it was for her. Her Dad wanted to give us 10,000 in cash, AND was gonna pay to take us all to Vegas.

In unison , the women yelled from other room..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Keep in mind, he had just married off my wife's sister about a year earlier, and was still recovering mentally/financially .

Now.......Im gonna buck up, and go all out at Luby's for the rehearsal dinners though, because that is the kind of man I am.

Comment

Wife and I got married year and a half ago. We paid for it all ourselves. We didn’t do the bridal showers, wedding rehearsal, cocktail hour, dinner rehearsal, blah blah blah. That was ridiculous to us and way too much money.

It was a day WE’RE getting married, not putting on a show for everyone to see. We only had our family and close friends, spent very little money on it, and had the time of our lives. People need to seriously stop spending so much money on one day. It’s supposed to be a special day, not turn it into carnival.

Comment

Well said

Comment

Tell him forget about getting married I will pay for us a hunting trip with that money it’s going to cost for a wedding lol .

Comment

My parents paid for rehearsal and hers paid for the reception. The cost of each was probably within $1000 of each other. We did the wedding in a public park, which sounds terrible, but it was on some bluffs with the ocean in the background and cost us like $50 to rent plus the cost of chair rentals.

Honestly, the determining factor should be who's limited and what's expected. If one set of in-laws has almost no money but both the couple and the other in-laws have high expectations and money, you can't bankrupt the broke parents just because you want more. If both parents are equally "of means", I'd lean towards a traditional approach.

Every situation is different and should be handled differently.

Comment

I have 2 boys, and I pray they seek a wife that is similar to their mother. A ton of common sense, and good with money. Otherwise, they are not going to like the budget that we give them.

What I don't get is, how can a couple that has good jobs, and has been shacking up for several years, have a wedding shower? Shouldn't they already have a crock pot by now?

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                        My opinion is if you pay 1/2 you should have say up front in the cost. Not after the fact. That said, 10K is still a lot of money, but not in the extravagant range. Does that include splitting the rehearsal and honeymoon?
                        No. I still cover the rehearsal. Honeymoon is on my son and his fiancée

Comment

You know I talked over breakfast this morning with my account man. He says he’s seen a dude spend 500,000...I suppose it happens. I still can’t really understand it did common folk

Comment

Just pay what you are comfortable paying, shouldn’t put yourself in a bind. Or that’s what I’ll do. If someone raises a “princess”, they should be prepared to pay for a princess [emoji73] wedding. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                              You know I talked over breakfast this morning with my account man. He says he’s seen a dude spend 500,000...I suppose it happens. I still can’t really understand it did common folk
                              As I mentioned earlier I dated a girl who was a wedding/event planner. She has seen couples spend over $1,000,000.00 on a wedding. She wouldn't even consider doing a wedding that was less than $100k

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                                I have a friend who found out her fiancé was cheating on her about 5 months before their wedding. She wanted to call it off and her dad told her “not to embarrass him with his friends and colleagues like that”. He paid a couple hundred k for their wedding and reception. Paid for her to have an apartment for a year after they were married and then she got divorced. It was a really awkward wedding knowing what was going on but it was fancy and there was lots of top shelf booze

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                                That's insane. Dad of the Year material, huh? Wow.

Yeah....I’d have done that differently. Way, way differently.[emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X