Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

“Antlers86” 2019 LIVE thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep after it brother-you and Rick will find him dead or alive

Comment

First call was told most likely stomach and would be a hard track. No blood he said no.

Comment

Dang

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
          No blood anywhere! Deer scent everywhere how would a dog know to get on the right deer.

I’d be willing but I don’t see what it would be going off of.
          No blood anywhere that you can see... big difference between what you can see and what a dog can smell. Trust me, a good dog could really help. Best of luck!

Comment

No blood anywhere! Deer scent everywhere how would a dog know to get on the right deer.

You need to watch a good dog work. They will amaze you on how they can tell the difference between a live deer and wounded one. They will pick up on blood you will never see with your own eyes and blood isnt the only thing they use to track.

My dogs are good but not near as good as some peoples deer dogs. They track on my place where there is axis bb fallow stags and WT. Literally will be 60 animals on the feed when you shoot one they have no problem whatsoever picking up on the trail of the shot one. One is 4 and the other one is just over a year old and they will amaze you with what they can do.

Your call on whether or not to get one out there and by now some time has gone by making it alot more difficult. Would have had a dog on him last night.

Comment

A dog doesn’t have to have blood. A deer in distress put off a totally different scent then just a deer walking around in the woods a good dog knows this scent.

Comment

This deer is worth trying a dog if you can.

Comment

“Antlers86” 2019 LIVE thread

Get a dog... they can find blood a naked human eye can’t. Plus stomach contents, saliva from drooling anything. A good dog can get it done. I’ve even seen some folks mention a gland in a deer foot that secrets when distressed.

It was well worth what I paid and my deer wasn’t anything like that one.

Don’t get a biscuit eater. Get a good dog that does it for the owners income.
                  Last edited by Smart; 09-30-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

We have called 5 dog people and 1 finally said ok. Others were either headed to work, not worth trying, or already messed up area.

Closest guy that said he would come is 4 hrs away.

If for some miracle this buck is still alive we may have bumped him this morning. Dog comes, bays him up and we finish him then meat and cape can be salvaged. I don’t want to just wait for buzzards and find a dead head.

Comment

I think a good dog will find him. He is gut shot and mist dogs are near 100 percent on gut shot deer. When you get him you will most likely see the arrow exited way farther back than you remember. Im Rooting for you. That deer can't live over that shot.

Comment

We have called 5 dog people and 1 finally said ok. Others were either headed to work, not worth trying, or already messed up area.

Closest guy that said he would come is 4 hrs away.

If for some miracle this buck is still alive we may have bumped him this morning. Dog comes, bays him up and we finish him then meat and cape can be salvaged. I don’t want to just wait for buzzards and find a dead head.

Good luck. I finally got to where I will just back out and call a dog if I think the shot is marginal. We had to use dogs twice last year, one buck we would have recovered easily but he acted funny after the shot, and another buck we wouldn’t have found without dogs. It’s worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Get a dog... they can find blood a naked human eye can’t. Plus stomach contents, saliva from drooling anything. A good dog can get it done. I’ve even seen some folks mention a gland in a deer foot that secrets when distressed.

It was well worth what I paid and my deer wasn’t anything like that one.

Don’t get a biscuit eater. Get a good dog that does it for the owners income.

Smarts on the money with this. Find you a good dog with a good handler specially this long after the shot and with the anount of stomping around im sure had been done. Dog will have a hard time but a good one can still work it out. Or maybe work down wind of where you think he may have went to see if he can wind him.

Good luck and hope you can find him hes a heck of a buck and worth every effort. You know he cant get off the place so hea got to be in there somewhere. Would love to see where the hit ended up.
                          Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 09-30-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Anybody know Dustin out of Houston with a dog named Dutch?

Comment

GUT SHOT???? No way possible if that deer was quartering away any at all... That's a kill Everytime in my experience but I shoot a 2" expandable..
                              Possibly a 1 lunger though and they get do crazy things with one good lung..
                              Good luck bud. Keep your head up.

Comment

Anybody know Dustin out of Houston with a dog named Dutch?
                                Dustin Machado? I've heard great things about his dog.

Comment

Working...
                                X