Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

“Antlers86” 2019 LIVE thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking with a small entry/exit that it clogged up quick. Not going to be much blood. He's probably dead and within a couple hundred yards. If he expired quickly the buzzards will be circling today or tomorrow with this heat. If he survived for a little bit longer, he will be headed towards water (creek, pond,etc). Hope you can find him.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      GUT SHOT???? No way possible if that deer was quartering away any at all... That's a kill Everytime in my experience but I shoot a 2" expandable..
      Possibly a 1 lunger though and they get do crazy things with one good lung..
      Good luck bud. Keep your head up.
      He isn’t gut shot. Shooting angle was perfect with a slight quartering away angle.

The exit was more forward than the entrance
      Last edited by Antlers86; 09-30-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

I know Dustin.

Comment

In for the recovery....

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
            I'm thinking with a small entry/exit that it clogged up quick. Not going to be much blood. He's probably dead and within a couple hundred yards. If he expired quickly the buzzards will be circling today or tomorrow with this heat. If he survived for a little bit longer, he will be headed towards water (creek, pond,etc). Hope you can find him.
            I had the same problem with slick tricks clogging up and leaving no blood trail. That shot placement is good with him slightly quartering away. Crazy things happen but that deer should not have gone over 200 yards. A good dog will find him dead or alive. Don’t beat yourself up over it. Give the dog a chance. We caught one last year with a dog that never bled a drop. That shot was high in the back ham by a kid. Dog bayed it 600 yards out. Most all of them circle back at some point and with no blood it becomes tough in a hurry. Get a pic with the dog when he finds your buck.

Comment

Dog coming this evening! I’ll update later when action starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                Dog coming this evening! I’ll update later when action starts.
                Good luck Jason! Wish you the best on this recovery

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                  Good luck Jason! Wish you the best on this recovery
                  Same here.

Rwc

Comment

I shot a spike a few years ago with a nap killzone and the shot was even further forward than yours.. couldn't find a lick of blood.. found him the next day a few hundred yards away by grid searching. Straight guts, have a pic if anyone will post it for me.

Comment

Good luck! Hope y’all find him.

Comment

good luck!

Comment

Pulling for ya, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                            A dog doesn’t have to have blood. A deer in distress put off a totally different scent then just a deer walking around in the woods a good dog knows this scent.
                            I have heard and read this as well in the tracking books I'm currently reading. They truly don't need blood at all. I'd get a dog without question if it were me. Worst case drop them way downwind and they can wind his scent. I've learned alot from recent research and reading and I'll get a dog on anything questionable from now on. Actually working with my own pup now for that scenario. Good luck either way man I know it's gotta be eating at you.

Edit: saw you got a dog! Best of luck
                            Last edited by mdnabors; 09-30-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Good luck! Hope you find your deer!

Comment

Man I'm rooting for you. Last year this happened to me with 4 deer 2 does and 2 bucks. I was sick to my stomach by the end of bow season. 2 shots on 2 different deer I thought were perfect ended up not finding the deer even though I found lots of blood. Come rifle season I pulled out the boom stick and managed to fill tags. Those 4 terrible experiences have made me a better bow hunter. I changed arrows and broadheads to help with penetration issues I was having and practiced my butt off. I've also learned to be way more patient with shots and if I'm not comfortable I simply will not take it period. I went on an exotic hunt last February after those experiences and made good shots on 2 animals. I was on Cloud 9 after having a rough bow season. I drew back on a doe this weekend and simply didn't shoot it because I knew the shot could be bad. Just learn from any mistakes and continue to practice. Each days a new day to become a better bow hunter and I've learned that through my mistakes. Hate to say it but if we continue to bow hunt it's bound to happen again one day but that's just the nature of bowhunting. Can't give up just keep going as I've mentioned you'll be a better bow hunter in the end. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X