No announcement yet.

Axis Deer Range in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used to have a nice herd around my place in Kempner but rancher near us started trapping and selling so they aren't around as much anymore. Got my first buck on camera in a long time about 2 months ago.

Comment

Pretty good herd from Brady west for a good ways.

Just starting to see more along the llano river south of mason.

They are spreading, which I love.

Comment

Anyone wants to get rid of some of those pesky suckers, shoot me a pm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven’t seen a single one at my slice of Texas yet. Maybe my neighbor is killing them before they even hatch just like everything else..... arrr!!!

Comment

The areas outlined are pretty accurate for their main concentration. They definitely follow creeks and rivers; I think their population is expanding. Axis are the most fun animal to spot and stalk in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
              I haven’t seen a single one at my slice of Texas yet. Maybe my neighbor is killing them before they even hatch just like everything else..... arrr!!!

Time to sell and move. We just sold out place and got a new one. Seeing ten deer plus per sit when at our old place we would see maybe 2 deer a weekend between two of us. Bad neighbors on smaller tracts are horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've seen a sizable herd here on two separate occasions right on the roadside of 503 south of Big O's in Voss
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Voss Axis.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	24589245

Comment

Seen a few in Menard county but not like my buddy has em in Junction.

They ran the whitetail off and took over his place. All the kill there are axis with an occasional wt

Comment

Cool animals!

Comment

we are in sisterdale and have seen up to 50+ at one time. there is a large herd there

Comment

We don’t have them north of Johnson City but they a getting more and more common from Stonewall and to the west. That’s been in just the past 3-4 years.

Tasty critter!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
                          They ran the whitetail off and took over his place. All they kill there are axis with an occasional wt
                          I might actually be okay with that. I know I'm probably never going to kill a big WT at my little place but getting to hunt tasty critters year round would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
                            We don’t have them north of Johnson City but they a getting more and more common from Stonewall and to the west. That’s been in just the past 3-4 years.

Tasty critter!
                            My bow lease between Stonewall and Luckenbach is covered up with them. I've killed 4 in the past 5 years. They dont seem to be in bow range very often.

Wish my parents had them on their place in Burnet.

Comment

Originally posted by DS_1974 View Post
                              My bow lease between Stonewall and Luckenbach is covered up with them. I've killed 4 in the past 5 years. They dont seem to be in bow range very often.

Wish my parents had them on their place in Burnet.

Awesome, I hope they keep coming. I love hunting and eating Axis. Would be nice to have them on the home place (Round Mtn).

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                                I might actually be okay with that. I know I'm probably never going to kill a big WT at my little place but getting to hunt tasty critters year round would be awesome.

Heck yes!!
                                Run em all off!
                                I’ll take year round axis steaks and burgers allll day long and twice on Sundays!

Comment

Working...
                                X