Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on caliber and type for mean cattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe it was the Y O ranch

Comment

El Sauz walked away from these animals, they used to belong to them years ago.there are 20 animals mas o menos, and on the north side there are strong holding pens but most have shown a willingness to tare pens up. The tick quarantine makes taking them out kinda tricky, but they are still there, they seem calmer but half the herd is made up of young and older bulls now. Rompum and roping is the way to go, but I Want to finish picking cotton before we go back and play, our module truck drivers are all descendants of El Sauz Cowboys and they can all rope off horseback and have the dogs and know this herd intimately at the very least we should eat some of them. I say catch all the calves and feed them to taste, there are only a couple that can’t fight

Comment

It's been a minute since I dealt with a crazy bovine, but I never saw one that a ride in the trailer would't cure. Had one stomp a hole in the trailer floor trying to go out the bottom, one tried to go out the top.....several tore up some **** at the sale, but it cured'em in the end.

I hit one flush between the eyes with a cheater bar as hard as I could swing it, it staggered her long enough for me to get under a semi trailer, but she still tried to get under there with me. I ended up on top of it, she ended up inside a different one.

Send them crazy sumbitches for a ride, but please don't set off a hand canon in a pen full of crazy cows, and your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Yep, I'm thinking no one here has actually ever tried to shoot a cow.

We had one get paralyzed from pulling a calf. 3 times straight through the head with a 38, and 30 min later still bellowing. 12 gauge slug through the neck and lights out finally.

Shot another one with a 30-06, twice and it took her 10 min to quit fighting.

You're not going to get that perfect placement opportunity with a charging, ****** off, 1000lb cow or a 1 ton bull.

If I was that serious I would be thinking along the lines of a sawed off 12 with 00, even still it's a gamble.

Someone mentioned choking them out. Never tried it on a cow, but it will do wonders for a horse.

We had one go down as well in the same situation. My grandad handed me a framing hammer and said hit it between the eyes. I was 15-16. Told him I couldn’t do it. He grabbed it out of my hands and put a swing on it that would have drove in a railroad spike through concrete. Dead cow. That’s the day I learned my Grandad was a BMF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mrddye View Post
            We had one go down as well in the same situation. My grandad handed me a framing hammer and said hit it between the eyes. I was 15-16. Told him I couldn’t do it. He grabbed it out of my hands and put a swing on it that would have drove in a railroad spike through concrete. Dead cow. That’s the day I learned my Grandad was a BMF.

I saw a guy named Mongo punch one between the eyes. Dropped that joker like a dirty pair of drawers .

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Glock 20 10mm 220 gr hard cast
              This!

Comment

We had a registered Jersey bull once that was mean as hell. I was just a little kid and was deathly scared of him. He hit Daddy in the azz once and he was just lucky not to have enough azz that the horns got him. Horns went on either side, I was watching it all. Daddy turned around in the air like a cat and smacked old Jerry up side his head with a two gallon bucket full of horse and mule feed, then scrambled over the gate. For some reason or other that bull hated Daddy, and Daddy was never mean to any of our stock, I think the bastage was crazy. He tried to get Daddy twice when he was horseback, and the second time got a little more than he was looking for, ‘cause old King, a big bay horse, mule kicked the snot of the bull. Daddy said he had hell just hanging on.

Then came the day that my brother and I were playing ball outside the dairy barn, Daddy walked out to watch us, and old Jerry just hit the nearest cow and rolled her around on the ground. My Daddy was a good man and a powerful man, but he had a flash temper. He ran by me, grabbed that 36” Louisville Slugger and threw it at Jerry as hard as he could. I can still see it in my mind like it was yesterday. That bat flipped end over end about twice and the business end hit old Jerry right where you would have stuck him with a broadhead. He went to his knees, rolled his eyes, and bellered like he was dying. I told Daddy, “You killed him”. Daddy said “If I had a gun I’d kill that son of a ***** !”

The next day old Jerry took a ride to the slaughter house, registered blood and all. The buyer told Daddy he could sell him higher at the auction, but Daddy wanted him dead.

And that’s how you deal with mean cattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  We had a registered Jersey bull once that was mean as hell. I was just a little kid and was deathly scared of him. He hit Daddy in the azz once and he was just lucky not to have enough azz that the horns got him. Horns went on either side, I was watching it all. Daddy turned around in the air like a cat and smacked old Jerry up side his head with a two gallon bucket full of horse and mule feed, then scrambled over the gate. For some reason or other that bull hated Daddy, and Daddy was never mean to any of our stock, I think the bastage was crazy. He tried to get Daddy twice when he was horseback, and the second time got a little more than he was looking for, ‘cause old King, a big bay horse, mule kicked the snot of the bull. Daddy said he had hell just hanging on.

Then came the day that my brother and I were playing ball outside the dairy barn, Daddy walked out to watch us, and old Jerry just hit the nearest cow and rolled her around on the ground. My Daddy was a good man and a powerful man, but he had a flash temper. He ran by me, grabbed that 36” Louisville Slugger and threw it at Jerry as hard as he could. I can still see it in my mind like it was yesterday. That bat flipped end over end about twice and the business end hit old Jerry right where you would have stuck him with a broadhead. He went to his knees, rolled his eyes, and bellered like he was dying. I told Daddy, “You killed him”. Daddy said “If I had a gun I’d kill that son of a ***** !”

The next day old Jerry took a ride to the slaughter house, registered blood and all. The buyer told Daddy he could sell him higher at the auction, but Daddy wanted him dead.

And that’s how you deal with mean cattle.

I loved that story.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    Yep, I'm thinking no one here has actually ever tried to shoot a cow.
                    We had one get paralyzed from pulling a calf. 3 times straight through the head with a 38, and 30 min later still bellowing. 12 gauge slug through the neck and lights out finally.
                    Shot another one with a 30-06, twice and it took her 10 min to quit fighting.
                    You're not going to get that perfect placement opportunity with a charging, ****** off, 1000lb cow or a 1 ton bull.
                    If I was that serious I would be thinking along the lines of a sawed off 12 with 00, even still it's a gamble.
                    Someone mentioned choking them out. Never tried it on a cow, but it will do wonders for a horse.

You definitely weren’t hitting him in the right spot. I used to knock cattle at the meat lab in college—we used a captive bolt loaded with a 22 blank and VERY rarely had any that didn’t fall.

If you hit em between the eyes, all you get is sinus cavity, and one ****** off, injured animal.

Comment

300 Win Mag - 27" barrel / floated - 150 yard shots all day long

Comment

This is crazy when my family has mean cattle that just means we have a couple of good BBQs ahead of us

Comment

Anything that would put up a fight got sold as a pair as soon as she calved. Not worth it.

Comment

You need to make a safe spot in the pens like they have in sale barns or bull fighting arena; Dang sure don’t want someone shooting my cattle or shooting around them or me. Just don’t make a lot of sense to do this!

Comment

A friend of ours was run over by a bull and paralized I sell every animal that even acts a little crazy. My brother had a cow attack him on horseback and killed the horse. He shot the cow with a 7mm and fed the coyotes.

Comment

I have a funny story on a accidental cow killing.

My brother has land leased that borders RIchland Chambers WMA. He had some cattle get through the fence after the water had got up and knocked the fences down. This was on the north unit in the summer time. He talked to the state about getting them out and got all but two cows and a yearling out. One of these cows was that crazy high headed bi*** that once she saw the trailer or horses she was headed to thick woods. He got some friends to help him with horses and dogs and got the one cow and yearling caught and loaded.

The crazy cow got in some brush and hid over around PeaPatch Lake. They had left the trucks and trailer on the far north end of the WMA. So they found her and she started fighting them on the horses so they sicked the dogs on her. She ran and they herded her toward the trailer and open ground with the dogs on her azz. They got out in the open on the north end and she got in the water to get away from the dogs. They got two ropes on her and was able to drag her up on one of the levee/roads there at the WMA and choke her down there and hog tie her.

They were happy to get her and wore out. So they saddle up to go get the trailers and trucks about two miles away so they can drag her in the trailer to load her up and head to the sale barn. He didn’t think they would be able to catch her on all that open land and brush. They were talking sh** and he was happy he was going to be able to sell her and get some money out of her.

They drive back drinking some cold refreshments bragging about how good of horseman and cowboys they are to were they had left her and when they got close they couldn’t see her on the road and thought they were in the wrong spot until they looked down in the water and could see her floating in the marsh. She had evidently struggled to get away and rolled down the levee into the water and drowned.

He wasn’t quite as happy with this turnaround. It was kind of like watching a thousand dollar bill burn!
                                So now his nickname is “cow killer” which gets him fired up and makes us say it all the more!

The moral to this story is don’t count your wild cow money until check is in hand!!
                                Last edited by Killer; 08-24-2019, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X