Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on caliber and type for mean cattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no cattle expert. I don't even like them much at all.

But I've been around a bunch of wild animals and stupid people in my life.

None of them liked the sound or results from a .357 when fired at close range.

A .357 to the face seems to be the best all-around ranch round for what we do (rifle and pistol so you only have to carry one box of ammo in the truck)

I'll leave whether or not you should create a stampede in an enclosed area to the bovine experts amongst us......

Comment

Its official....I’ve heard it all now!!

Comment

In on this one!

Comment

Sale barn or some salty curr dogs hanging off their ears will make them get right

Comment

Apache attack helicopter or maybe a ballistic missile of some sort. Seriously, the stupidity of this question beats all I’ve ever seen.

Comment

Not sure on caliber but I hear this one works...and it isn't so loud as a 45 70!

Click image for larger version

Name:	4171843.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	24589110

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Paging immature Curt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gus35 View Post
                  I have seen one get up and walk off 30 minutes later after being shot point blank between the eyes with a 45. As suggested, get rid of the wild ones as soon as possible.
                  Yep, I'm thinking no one here has actually ever tried to shoot a cow.
                  We had one get paralyzed from pulling a calf. 3 times straight through the head with a 38, and 30 min later still bellowing. 12 gauge slug through the neck and lights out finally.
                  Shot another one with a 30-06, twice and it took her 10 min to quit fighting.
                  You're not going to get that perfect placement opportunity with a charging, ****** off, 1000lb cow or a 1 ton bull.
                  If I was that serious I would be thinking along the lines of a sawed off 12 with 00, even still it's a gamble.
                  Someone mentioned choking them out. Never tried it on a cow, but it will do wonders for a horse.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    I've typed and deleted about 10 responses. Deleting was the key. I'm so proud of my new maturity level.
                    I was gonna say open the gate and gift them to the neighbor. But I’ll keep that to myself.

Comment

Rossi Ranch Hand .44 mag

Comment

Best caliber for this is a paint ball gun with semi-permanent paint. Mark the mean ones, and send the to sale!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Buy a dart gun and some rompum. Last crazy bull I had got tranquilized. Didn’t need a pen to load him. He was real mellow after a few minutes.

Haha, love it.

Comment

My buddy got rolled around his own ranch by his own bull and somehow survived. I was in camp wondering where he was waiting on him. It was a herd that refused to be caught by helicopter or cattle dogs with real cowboys on horseback. He was cut up over his whole body with two broken ribs. I had told that bull needed to be shot before he killed someone. Eventually he began to attack pickup trucks full of Nilgai hunters. My buddy halfway blinded the bull by gouging it’s eyes while being rolled thru the brush. I rushed him to the hospital and returned at daylight with my farmhands. I passed out Shotguns and buckshot, they asked me which one do we kill ? I said, “it’s easy, he will be the one attacking you” we drove from sunup to sundown, and he eventually charged at last light to ram the truck, he ate lots of rounds before his heart took one. I have pics of dead bull and pics of my buddy. I still make fun of him for almost getting killed over an animal that was so far out there a blind man could make that call

Comment

If your going to shoot one, at least know where to shoot it. If you shoot between the eyes, there's a good chance you will miss the brain.
                              From personal experience, a .357 placed directly in the forehead between the eyes and ears will drop one in its tracks. You know its right if you get a water hose like stream of blood coming out.
                              Here is an article on shot placement.

Comment

Can't ever be careful enough with wild animals. Several years ago I remember
                                two ranch hands loading or unloading a bull or some exotic animal. The first guy was being attacked and when trying to help the second guy was killed.
                                Some one on here probably remembers more about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X