why I don't kill snakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
    Most is still a strong statement there I believe. I’ve never been but. The closest I got was one of my dogs got treed on a creek and I stepped off in it looking in the tree and my buddy on the bank told me don’t move but look down. So I looked down and sure enough was a big ol cotton mouth laying on a log 2 feet from me with its mouth wide open and was none too thrilled of my being there. Luckily I had a pistol on my hip with snake shot and he ate it. But had I not seen him he prolly woulda struck. And I wasn’t even playing with it. So I’d say most of it is not a humans fault. Now I ain’t saying there’s not people out there who arent stupid about it. But I just believe it’s not as common.
    I can't find the exact stats anymore but last I read was the vast majority of bites occur when people try to kill or catch snakes. Which makes sense if you think about it as they don't exactly chase after us to chomp down on us...

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      I can't find the exact stats anymore but last I read was the vast majority of bites occur when people try to kill or catch snakes. Which makes sense if you think about it as they don't exactly chase after us to chomp down on us...
      I’ve ran across some pretty aggressive moccasins, Agree for the most part though.

Comment

I've had 3 or 4 close encounters with moccasins, one of them was within 5 feet, they have all either booked it away from me or displayed with their cottonmouth "EFF OFF" display.

All I will say about cottonmouths chasing people is that I don't doubt that people who say they have been chased by them do genuinely believe they were being chased.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
          Any venomous snake on my personal or lease property gets dispatched post-haste, all others may pass. I don't need livestock, pets, children/grandchildren, or myself/wife getting bit by anything that can do permanent damage....or cost a lot of money to fix. The more of them I kill, the less opportunity there is for that to happen.
          Agree

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            I finally got my wife not to shoot the king snake's. Some times it gets loose in the bed.[emoji16]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The venom is probably sterile. She knows she’s safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              Mark 16:17-18
              Clever fellow. Im sure you knew I was pointing out the curse of the serpent and not the ability of the Spirit. You’re a cool dude OKR!

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                Any venomous snake on my personal or lease property gets dispatched post-haste, all others may pass. I don't need livestock, pets, children/grandchildren, or myself/wife getting bit by anything that can do permanent damage....or cost a lot of money to fix. The more of them I kill, the less opportunity there is for that to happen.
                ^^^This^^^

I know quite a few people who were bit by copperheads and rattlesnakes, and none of them were doing anything stupid...just didn't see the snake until it was too late. I got bit on the finger by a copperhead while working in the flower beds years ago, and I don't wish that pain on anyone especially a child.

Comment

My rattlers and I have a tacit agreement, if I don’t see them I won’t kill them. I usually have a half dozen or so violate that agreement each year. I am not a kill all snakes type of guy, but if has the potential to harm my family, me, pets or livestock they are dead if I see them.

Comment

I’ve killed venomous snakes all my life and will continue to do so, whether I’m passing that way again or not. Last one was just this morning while mowing on the lease. He just couldn’t outrun that .40.......

Comment

Never been bit by a poisonous snake but I have had close calls with moccasins, rattlers, and copperheads. Close meaning I stepped within inches of them. I do kill poisonous snakes but will not kill harmless snakes. To each his own & I respect those who do not kill the poisonous ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X